1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

New Brookline Beer Bar - Hops n' Scotch?

Discussion in 'US - New England' started by Prufrock, Mar 25, 2012.

1. You should use the other side of Beacon Street. Less hills.
  2. Blanco

Blanco Savant (490) Pennsylvania Oct 11, 2008

Did the clubhouse close? It's not the Publick House but it had a very respectable craft selection when I went there.
  3. Blanco

I'm a lazy shit so I took the T. Didn't really see 5 stops as too far.
  4. RedMedicine

RedMedicine Savant (340) Oregon Jun 3, 2005

A lot of taps, but disagree on respectable selection and the pours are awful. Suspect dirty tap lines.
  5. RedMedicine

RedMedicine Savant (340) Oregon Jun 3, 2005

But expensive. A few years ago used to be free outbound.
  6. I agree Boca is so much better than Anna's. Love the burrito wars. BTW, around the corner there is an Israeli restaurant that is phenomenal. Basically Coolidge Corner is fantastic.
  7. Blanco

fair enough. it's been 3 years since we lived there, but we would basically go to PH if we didn't mind the T or walk to the Clubhouse if we just wanted to go somewhere 2 mins away.
  8. Any word on the opening of this?
  9. jomobono

jomobono Savant (390) Massachusetts Mar 12, 2012

They are hoping the week of July 15th.
  10. I would say Kendall/Inman Square is in the lap of luxury. Lord Hobo and CBC are a 5 minute walk from one another, and then Meadhall is also in Kendall Square. Not to mention Atwood's is walkable from any of these bars. If you live in Central/Kendall/Inman you're in the beer mecca of the Boston area.
    BleepBloopBlap likes this.
  11. jomobono

From Thrillist:

Pouring over 30 drafts, the impressive 80-plus beer repertoire runs the gamut from Boulevard Tank 7, Port Wipeout, and Stone Arrogant Bastard, to 21st Bitter American, Victory Golden Monkey, and Wells Banana Bread.

Soft open next Wednesday.
  12. For the financial district, try jm Curleys. Short draft menu, more on the bottle side, but good selection and good atmosphere. http://www.jmcurleyboston.com/Drink.html

Also there's a new one I haven't tried, I think it's called Back Deck? Their site doesn't have a beer list but I thought I remember hearing it has a decent craft list.
  13. jomobono

14. Sesmu

Sesmu Savant (290) Massachusetts Feb 28, 2007

15. jaasen64

jaasen64 Savant (450) Massachusetts Jan 15, 2012

16. Walking towards PH at summit avenue/winchester street, you can stop by and say hi to me at Baystate Food and Spirits! Small store but building the craft beer selection for the past 3 months. Reasonable prices too!
  17. Hops and Scotch sounds good, i'm excited to go one time and see what beers they have. One good bar in Boston that has a decent craft selection is the Kinsale. I'd say they're one of the best that's closest to the downtown area.
  18. I second that. Tried out the Kinsale, surprisingly for the first time, and was pleasantly surprised. Any place with Maine Beer Co. on tap is a plus.
  19. I third this. Patrick, the bar manager, pushes hard for good beer and has a great cocktails list as well. Definitely check his bar out too!
  20. jomobono

The draft menu:
    IPA
    Dogfish Head 60 Min
    Port Wipeout
    Bear Republic Racer 5
    Clown Shoes Hoppy Feet
    Mayflower IPA
    Harpoon IPA

Lager
    Stella Artois
    Brooklyn Lager
    Chimay Draught
    Victory Golden Monkey

Stout
    Left Hand Milk Stout

Ale
    Stone Arrogant Bastard
    21st Bitter American
    Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
    Cisco Whales Tale
    Clown Shoes Clementine
    Leffe Blonde
    Magic Hat #9
    Boulevard Tank 7
    Long Trail Double Bag
    Pretty Things Jack D’Or
    Lexington KY Bourbon
    Harpoon Seasonal
    Berkshire Steel Rail
    Mayflower Seasonal

Wheat
    Peak Organic Seasonal
    Sam Adams Summer
    Weihenstephaner Hefe
    Blue Moon
    Allagash White
    Harpoon UFO White

Other Hops
    Angry Orchard Cider
    Backlash Super Saison
    Leinenkugel Summer Shandy
    Shipyard Pumpkin Ale

Specialty 12oz Draft $10
    Delirium Tremens
    St. Bernardus Abt 12
    Triple Karmeliet
    Meantime Naval Porter

The bottle menu:
    Ale
    Gouden Carolus Hopsinjoor, 11.2oz
    Stone Pale Ale, 12oz
    21st Bitter American Extra Pale, 12oz
    Dogfish Head Indian Brown, 12oz
    Avery White Rascal, 12oz
    Baxter Seasonal Can, 12oz
    Unibrue La Fin du Monde, 12oz
    Piraat, 11oz
    Gulden Draak, 11oz
    Butternut Porkslap, Can, 12oz
    Oskar Dale Pale, 12oz

IPA
    Dogfish Head 90min IPA, 12oz
    Stone IPA, 12oz
    Avery IPA, 12oz
    Anderson Valley Hop Ottin, 12oz
    21st Black IPA/Die IPA, 12oz
    Stone Ruination, 12oz
    Great Divide Hercules, 12oz
    Ruckus Hoptimus DBL IPA, 22oz
    Port Mongo, 22oz
    Stone Cali Belqique, 22oz
    Baxter Stowaway, IPA ,Can 12oz

Lager
    Dos Equis Lager, 12oz
    Red Stripe, 11.2oz
    Sam Adams Light, 12oz
    Corona, 12oz 4.50
    Corona Light, 12oz
    Narragansett Can, 16oz

Stout
    Anderson Valley Oatmeal Stout, 12oz
    Great Divide Yeti, 12oz
    North Coast Old Rasputin, 12oz

Wheat
    Schneider Aventinus, 16.9oz

Other Hops
    Lindemans Framboise, 12oz
    Great Divide Claymore Scotch, 12oz
    JK Scrumpy Organic Cider, 22oz
    Magners Cider, 12oz
    Wells Banana Bread, 16.9oz
    Greens Gluten Free, 16.9oz
    Rochefort 10, 11.2oz
  21. meh... I'd be impressed if I saw this menu at a restaurant, but not at a restaurant that specifically bills itself as a "Beer Bar." It's not like they're missing anything, but they don't have anything especially impressive either.
  22. wdarcy77

wdarcy77 Initiate (0) Massachusetts Nov 27, 2008

Checked out this place this past Saturday. While it's not a geektastic list, all pints (unless noted) were $6.

A good place to start before you head to the Publick House.

23. Chimay and Golden Monkey fall under their lager category?

And I like how some ales are included in the super descriptive "ale" category, but other ales aren't.
  24. the latter was likely confused with brass monkey, which would indeed fall there.
  25. jomobono

I would agree to that. Did you have any of the food?
  26. wdarcy77

wdarcy77 Initiate (0) Massachusetts Nov 27, 2008

I did. Scott egg w/chorizo was decent. Grilled cheese (3 cheese w/pimento cheese spread) with a side of gazpacho was very tasty.

Will be returning.
  27. Gimme a break...
  28. Patrick

Patrick Initiate (0) Massachusetts Aug 13, 2007

Forgot I made that post 2 months ago. Did Publick house move to coolidge corner yet?
  29. kinopio

kinopio Savant (370) Massachusetts Apr 30, 2009

I tried to go saturday night around 10 but there was a long line out the door. Went to Publick House instead. I was hoping to check it out before I moved out of the neighborhood but oh well. Im sure this place will survive since it has no competition in the area.

Decent beer list. Very light on the stouts/porters. Ditch the Stella and Blue Moon and add a couple good stouts and now we are talkin'.
  30. “bring your own blanket” night is a special event that is sure to appeal to craft beer nerds, I've been waiting for years to combine my strong interests in beer and blankets.
    FarmingtonRiver and braineater like this.
  31. No I was just pointing to the general douchiness of your post
  32. I completely agree. I'm not a huge fan of a place that just throws a ton of well-known craft beers at a tap list and calls itself a beer bar. We need more QUALITY beer bars in Boston, not just a place that sells beers other than Sam/Guinness and thinks they're a beer bar. This also doesn't mean I need a place with 130 taps either.

Give me 15 - 20 rotating taps that have been given some thought. This is why places like Lord Hobo, Deep Ellum, and Publick House get/deserve all the praise they receive.
  33. Patrick

Patrick Initiate (0) Massachusetts Aug 13, 2007

Pointing out that Publick House isn't in Coolidge Corner is douchey?
  34. I prefer to pair my blankets with spaghetti.
  35. benbking

benbking Savant (275) Massachusetts Dec 11, 2009

1.I want to declare a burrito Jihad on anyone that dares besmirch Anna's. But I'm not sure what that would involve and I know I don't have the energy for it.
    2. The Kinsale is the best option for Downtown IMO. My wife and I go there on the weekends from East Boston(make's your CC arguments 100% first world problems when you consider the lack of Craft in Eastie.)
    3. Haven't been back to Stoddards since they charged me $10 for a Clown Shoes "Cask"
    4. Hops n' Scotch sounds like a place that sells $16 hamburgers. I might go check online.
  36. Based on number 3 you should never go to Davis Square.
  37. benbking

benbking Savant (275) Massachusetts Dec 11, 2009

But Redbones is in Davis Square and they've never charged me $10 for a beer! Davis Sq is pretty far via T from East Boston though, we pretty much just go there for Redbones every few months.
    also here's what I found on the Hops n' Scotch facebook page re: their burger
    HnS Burger $14House-made hamburger,lettuce,onions,tomatoes, toasted bun served with hand cut French fries. Add:cheese, bacon,fried egg$2*****can be made gluten free***
    notice no statement about the weight of said burger, and you can 100% have a $16 at Hops N Scotch if you want cheese, bacon, or fried egg. I image that's $2 per choice.
  38. Stopped in here last night for a couple of beers. Was pleased to see a $9 Rochefort 10 on the menu, so I ordered that. Waitress brought me the bottle and a pint glass. I shan't be returning.

But I did also have a Pumking on draught, which was nice.