1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

New Budweiser Black Crown to debut with Super Bowl XLVII Commercial

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by Jason, Jan 8, 2013.

1. I disagree. I have gained a different understanding of the craft community. As someone who has expressed on a number of ocassions that I would not buy from Abinbev, even if they made the best beer in the world, I have consistently received the line "as long as the beer tastes good, then who cares?" as feedback. Beeradvocates care about taste over all else. This doesn't apply to everyone of course (as mentioned it doesn't apply to me) but as far as I can see, and this is coming from someone who has engaged in the conversation a number of times, people who wouldn't support the big guys regardless of the quality of their product are the minority.
  2. I for one would very much consider buying a craft beer that was made by Anheuser-Busch if the beer tasted good. I have a four pack of BCBS sitting in my basement as I type this. Having stated that, the marketing tactics that Anheuser-Busch and MillerCoors (e.g., Batch 19) have taken lately for their alleged craft beers has really started to piss me off. I am fully cognizant that corporate/industrial marketing folks are very accustomed to do things like:

· Misrepresent products
    · Make (or intimate) outrageous claims
    · Etc.

I may be in the minority here, but I view the craft beer market as being different from the corporate/industrial business. For me, craft beer and craft brewing is all about the beer: making and ethically marketing quality beer.

If the BMC type breweries want to approach the craft beer market in the same way they approach the mainstream beer market then I may just have to say “no’ to buying these ‘new’ products.

Cheers!
  3. I am sure my gf's dad is typical of the 25,000 surveyed. When I told him of the new "Bud Black", he told me he's gonna hafta try that one, and if it's anything like their platinum, it's gonna be good. So, I know I'll be getting to taste the new AB/InBev 'revolution' in beer. I respect peoples' tastes, and I try not to sound like a beer snob, but BL platinum is anything but good. I am always polite and offer him some of whatever I happen to bring over. He always says "No, thanks. Too much flavor." At first, I thought he was kidding. Now, I am beginning to wonder . . .
  4. ScottUCF84

ScottUCF84 Savant (255) Florida Apr 7, 2006

Didn't they already try something similar with the American Ale? I know this is a lager, but I keep reading "amber, hoppier, more ABV". Sounds like American Ale rebranded, more or less.
  5. acevenom

acevenom Advocate (545) Louisiana Oct 7, 2011

I had American Ale before it was discontinued and I had Batch No. 91406. They're definitely not the same beer.
    Spikester likes this.
  6. Schwantz

Schwantz Savant (390) Florida Dec 16, 2012

This could be the greatest beer commercial ill never drink
  7. Sampled it. It was decent. Not something I drink. But honestly, this is going to sell for Bud. Good product for their target. Blows that Platinum crap out of the water.
  8. How would you compare it to Yuengling Lager?

Cheers!
  9. Pretty similar, maybe a little sweeter.
  10. "Pretty similar" Thanks for that input. That is what I expected from reading the marketing crap from AB on this beer.

I will state the obvious (for me). If I desire to drink an American Amber Adjunct Lager (which is a very rare occurance for me) I will reach for a Yuengling Lager.

Cheers!
  11. I'll give it a try and hope it doesn't suck. Probably won't buy 6-packs of it as I don't mind shelling out more money for the good stuff. I don't drink much at home these days and I always make sure I sacrifice quantity for quality whether it be wine, beer or spirits. If Black Crown is solid, it'll help when I go out to eat with friends and such. Most places I go to have Yuengling or Bass Ale as their best offerings, so if this is at least on par with those, it offers me some variety.
  12. Crusader

Crusader Savant (345) Sweden Feb 4, 2011

I'm currently drinking a Swedish macro amber lager which was released this last fall which sits at 4.8% abv, 31IBU with pilsner malt, münchner malt and caramel malt, with Zeus, Cascade and Amarillo hops. It is an all-malt macro lager brewed by Carlsberg Sweden, tapping into the "crafty" type beers. An image from a Swedish blog provided below to show the amber lager to the left compared against another "crafty" beer from a competing macro brewer to the right which is a 4.5% abv 33IBU pilsner type beer with the same hop varieties apart from the Zeus if I remember correctly. I think the beer to the right might be dry hopped whilst the one to the left isn't, making it more akin to a Yuengling or Shiner or the likes from what I know.

[​IMG]

The 31IBUs doesn't exactly punch you in the face, the caramel malts and possibly the münchener malts lends a sweetness which covers up some of the bitterness. This is why I question the decision by ABInbev to go with such a low IBU for their beer, I drink both IPAs, Pale Ales and pale lagers, and adjunct lagers, but I'm not palate damaged to the point where I need extreme amounts of hops to enjoy the bitterness of a beer, but I feel as though an IBU of 31, combined with the aroma hop characteristics of the beer lends itself well to an amber lager. I just don't see how a 15IBU could be sufficient to create an interesting flavor profile in Budweiser Black Crown, even as I am very curious as to how it tastes, since I will most likely never try it.

I might be seen as focusing excessively on this one parameter of beer making, but I do feel as though IBUs are a measurable aspect of a beer which has a measurable impact on the taste of the beer if the grain bill of the beer is taken into consideration. Also if one makes a distinction between dry hopped and non-dry hopped beers, the IBU levels should make some sense and say something about the intensity of the hop aromas of the beer
  13. BradtheGreat7

BradtheGreat7 Savant (285) Ohio Jul 22, 2011

I am sorry if this hurts anyone's feelings, but I say piss on AB and the Budweiser brand. Period. I will never dump any of my hard earned money on any of their brands when I could help the brewers who started from nothing and only cared about making better beer. I was a huge goose island supporter and though I still buy a few of their offerings from time to time it's only because it's still goose island taste and quality. Yes the money is going to Budweiser, but it's also to the folks in Chicago where the goose island brand means something to the area. So for me it's not just giving money to a joker but also supporting something special to a wonderful city and it's people. When Goose Island Beer Co. Is. No longer linked mainly to the Chicago area I'll stop buying period and since th AB purchase I don't buy as much as I used to. However you will never see me buy anything with the AB brands on it. They could have been making quality beer this entire time now and haven't. Instead they wait til the true founders of American craft beer create an industry monster and decide, "we'll, let's jump in and try to take over bc we have the money". Sorry but I know there are too many craft geeks like myself who will not buy into AB and their marketing lies. I'm really a bit disappointed this topic was even posted on BA. Yes, this is a beer forum, but how many of us on here would buy a 6 pk of bud light over a 6 pack of Sierra Nevada pale ale? My point exactly. Why even give them the space and time a small or even large craft brewery could have. For me there are way too many good breweries in the world for any of us to even consider bud and their ridiculously bad beers. Let's praise these breweries bc at the end of the day they can only do what they do and brew the things they brew bc of the money we spend on them.
  14. MVP09

MVP09 Savant (365) Massachusetts Oct 19, 2012

There is a 5ft stack of these at Waegmans in northboro Mass
  15. Patrik,

Thanks for your post!

I basically agree 100% with everything you stated but permit me to make a few comments.

You state: “I just don't see how a 15IBU could be sufficient to create an interesting flavor profile in Budweiser Black Crown”. I am of the opinion that AB does not really genuinely want to make this beer “interesting”. They are just looking to make the beer a little bit different so that mainstream beer drinkers will not be offended but can ‘pretend’ that they are drinking ‘real’ beer. As I have mentioned in previous posts I am very curious to see how AB markets this beer. I have a very strong suspicion that they will ‘highlight’ the uniqueness of Black Crown in a subtle way. I believe their overall message will be something like: Hey, Black Crown is a characterful beer that everybody will enjoy drinking.

You made mention of the Swedish Amber Lager of: “The 31IBUs doesn't exactly punch you in the face, the caramel malts and possibly the münchener malts lends a sweetness which covers up some of the bitterness.” That was basically my personal experience when I drank Coors’ Batch 19 beer. In Batch 19 there are ‘more’ IBUs (26 IBUs) and I suspect that there are flavor/aroma hops as well. It is difficult to perceive the hoppiness (bittering, flavor, and aroma) in Batch 19 since the dominant taste is a caramel sweetness from the utilization of crystal malts. This aspect of Batch 19 is irritating to me on two levels:

· A Classic American Pilsner (a lager made in America before Prohibition) did not use crystal malts in the grain bill. Why did Coors decide to add crystal malt to Batch 19 since it is supposed to be a historical beer?
    · At the ’end of the day’ Batch 19 tastes just like a modern day American Amber Adjunct Lager.

Batch 19 is a disappointment from a CAP perspective but I must admit that it is better than a regular BMC type beer (but so is Yuengling Lager).

Cheers!

Jack
  16. I agree. Yuengling and Sam's are my go-to's when I want something lighter.
  17. pjbear05

pjbear05 Aficionado (195) Florida May 28, 2008

Just keep remembering, BA's.
    "You can put lipstick on a sow and call it 'A-B', but in the end, IT"S STILL A PIG!"
  18. Pegli

Pegli Savant (305) Rhode Island Aug 30, 2006

This thread made me pick up a sixer...overall, it's a pretty tasty, clean base of a beer. It's definitely not just colored Bud. I would definitely drink this over Shiner Bock and maybe even Yuengling (blasphemy for a Jersey/ NE PA boy). Now, if they added another 20-30 IBUs of Czech Saaz to it, they'd be on to something...
    Chaz likes this.
  19. tx_beer_man

tx_beer_man Savant (260) Texas Jan 22, 2013

I hope this has the opposite effect on Bud's plans -- that it introduces new ideas to bud-beer drinkers who may start turning their head to craft beers....yeah they might drink some kaka shocktop or blue moon but eventually make their way to the real stuff! Right on time too, Alaskan Black IPA should be populating the shelves in time for Spring.
  20. Jason

Jason Founder (1,320) Massachusetts Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

This is the press case they sent out ...

[​IMG]
    Chaz, acevenom and Crusader like this.
  21. Just out of curiosity, what is the price for a six-pack of Black Crown vs. Yuengling Lager?

Cheers!
  22. Pegli

I don't know the current price of Yuengling (not sold in RI) but Bud Black Crown was expensive @ $9/sixer = $1 more than Narragansett's tall boy seasonal offerings.

23. Buying a six-pack in Pennsylvania is expensive (as I am sure that you remember from your PA days). I think that a six-pack of Yuengling Lager is 7 bucks at the bottle shop associated with my Wegmans supermarket. So, Budweiser is charging $2.00 more for a beer on the order of a Yuengling Lager (that is about 30% more). That should be an ‘interesting’ marketing campaign!?!

Cheers!
  24. jbeezification

jbeezification Savant (405) Texas Jun 6, 2012

Damn I have been trying to find a way to verbalize this sentiment for a while now and you did it flawlessly.
  25. Pegli

It might have been closer to $8 (I'll check my receipt later on) but this is the same (RI) price point as Sam Adams, Sierra Nevada, Founders, etc. It definitely ain't no Noble Pils or Torpedo !
  26. I don't need to question it any longer. I did for a bit, but no more. Abinbev/MillerCoors are concerned with their bottom line exclusively. Brewers like New Belgium, Sierra Nevada, DFH, etc. have their bottom line as the top priority as well (I'm not naive, they are a business after all), but they also make efforts to support the craft community and movement in general. I'd rather my money go to them, even if ABinbev makes the best beer that's ever existed. Seven days out of seven I would buy a beer that is slightly inferior from a company that is vastly superior when it comes to supporting craft. I know I am in the minority on that. My apologies for soap boxing, but your comment makes it sound like you are mulling a decision over and I thought I would add to the conversation.

Salute!
    MilkManX, jacksback and JediMatt like this.
  27. Jesse, you have an ‘impassioned’ view of the megabrewers. I understand your position on that matter.

It may seem that I am “mulling a decision over” and perhaps that is the case. The difference between you and me is that I am willing to purchase beers made by BMC type breweries if they are indeed quality beers. I really, really don’t want to restart the whole debate about what defines quality as regards craft beers and craft brewing.

So, if Anheuser-Busch made a ‘real’ Classic American Pilsner (CAP) using genuine ingredients for a Classic American Pilsner beer than I would buy that beer. I would even be willing to pay $9.00 for a six-pack of that beer. What I personally am not willing to support is misrepresentation of the beers by the BMC type breweries. For example, I am not going to purchase Coors’ Batch 19 beer since that beer is being marketed as a CAP (Pre-Prohibition Lager) when the beer looks and tastes like just an ‘average’ modern day American Amber Adjunct Lager. I have yet to see the full marketing campaign for Black Crown so I can’t really comment to whether this beer is being misrepresented or not. I have read several BAs post about the taste of this beer. Based upon my readings this beer sounds like it is a modern day American Amber Adjunct Lager (which is being sold at too high a price?). I must confess that I am not a large purchaser of American Amber Adjunct Lagers but when I do buy a beer of this style I have typically purchased Yuengling Lager.

Cheers!

P.S. I have seen a couple of ‘warm up’ TV commercials for Black Crown. It is a short commercial (30 seconds?) which show the bottom portion of a walking woman wearing black stiletto heeled shoes with a six-pack of Budweiser Black Crown in hand. I have no idea which advertising firm that AB works with but this particular commercial has the ‘look’ of a typical American beer commercial to me (i.e., selling ‘sex’).
    Providence and Crusader like this.
  28. I do not want to put words in your mouth, but what I am ‘hearing’ is that from a pricing perspective Anheuser-Busch is marketing Budweiser Black Crown as being a craft beer. Is that a fair statement?

Cheers!
  29. Pegli

Fair and square Jack !
  30. The full AB marketing campaign has not commenced but I am prepared to make a prediction even in my state of ignorance:

· Craft beer drinkers (e.g., BAs) will purchase a few Black Crown beers out of curiosity but they will not be large scale consumers of this beer. American Amber Adjunct Lagers are just not ‘exciting’ to craft beer drinkers.
    · Mainstream beer drinkers will also try Black Crown but the majority will go back to drinking their regular beers to save money. There will be some consumers who will find the attributes of Black Crown ‘desirable’ (e.g., an interesting amber color, some taste from the crystal malts, etc.) but most will not find the attributes not worth the extra money.

I went to the State Line Liquors (Elkton, MD) website to do an ‘apples to apples’ price comparison:

· Bud 6 pack 12 oz. cans: $5.49
    · Bud 6 pack longneck bottles: $6.19
    · Bud Black Crown 12 oz. bottles: $7.49

Let the games begin!!

Cheers!

P.S. It will be interesting to see how this plays out in the long run. For example, will AB consider discounting the price if continued sales stagnate or decline?

P.S.S. There is a ‘wild card’ that I am uncertain how to properly consider. On the Black Crown label a value of 6% ABV is displayed. Will mainstream beer drinkers be willing to pay more for this ‘extra’ alcohol?
  31. SenorHops

SenorHops Savant (385) Rhode Island Aug 10, 2010

My only questions are will it be quadruple-hopped and will it come in a vortex bottle?????;)
  32. rlcoffey

rlcoffey Savant (490) Kentucky Apr 20, 2004

Do they carry Yuengling? If so, what does it run?
  33. Yuengling Lager 12 ounce cans: $5.19 per six-pack
    Yuengling Lager 12 ounce bottles: $5.79 per six-pack
  34. Pegli

It's definitely beechwood aged...marked clearly on the packaging along with the ABV
    SenorHops likes this.
  35. rlcoffey

rlcoffey Savant (490) Kentucky Apr 20, 2004

So if they are trying to compete with Yuengling, they are going to fail.
  36. AB is certainly going to use Beechwood Aging since that expedites the lagering process; AB lagers Budweiser for a period of 3 weeks.

For the interested reader:

“While beechwood chips are used in the maturation tank, there is little to no flavor contribution from the wood, mainly because they are boiled in sodium bicarbonate [baking soda] for seven hours for the very purpose of removing any flavor from the wood. The maturation tanks that Anheuser-Busch uses are horizontal and, as such, flocculation of the yeast occurs much more quickly. Anheuser-Busch refers to this process as a secondary fermentation, with the idea being that the chips give the yeast more surface area to rest on. This is also combined with a krausening procedure that re-introduces wort into the chip tank therefore activating the fermentation process again. By placing chips at the bottom of the tank, the yeast remains in suspension longer, giving it more time to reabsorb and process green beer flavors, such as acetaldehyde and diacetyl, that Anheuser-Busch believes are off-flavors which detract from overall drinkability”

Cheers!
    Pegli likes this.
  37. Pegli

Wood-aged, high ABV, overpriced...I think their target demographic is BAers o_O
    acevenom and JackHorzempa like this.
  38. Never underestimate the marketing that AB wages. Also, AB has an excellent distribution system which ‘encourages’ the placement of their products in retails situations (tap space at bars with limited taps, shelf space in beer stores and supermarkets, etc.).

The other consideration is that Yuengling is distributed in only 14 states so that leaves AB with 36 states with no Yuengling competition.

Time will tell how successful Black Crown will be.

Cheers!

39. Well said my friend, I understand where you are coming from.

The "stiletto heel" commercial that you refer to tells me that this is another beer designed to get the BMC lover who is thinking of trying craft brews to keep his/her money "in the family." In other words, Abinbev, knows that as craft continues to explode more people, even yellow-fizzy drinkers will be looking to experiment and when they do experiment, they want them doing so with their stuff. That was whether they stay with that product or go back to the yellow-fizz, 100% of the bread goes to AbInbev.
  40. Well to no surprise the Black Crown tastes EXACTLY like regular Budweiser, I dont know it was sitting there at the grocery store so I felt inclined to try it. Luckily they just started carrying Deschutes beers so I got some of that too. My buddy got the Black Crown since I decided Id rather drink the goods lol.

Come AB what the hell?! You guys agree right, no difference from regular Bud?