1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

New Budweiser Black Crown to debut with Super Bowl XLVII Commercial

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by Jason, Jan 8, 2013.

1. mmmbirra

mmmbirra Savant (380) Italy Apr 19, 2009

What's in those vials on the left?

2. Yoitsluke

Yoitsluke Disciple (70) New Jersey Mar 29, 2012

this cannot be good at all

3. pcstuck

pcstuck Aficionado (145) Illinois Jan 5, 2013

Was tempted today to grab it just to try. However the FFF cases next to it persuaded me otherwise

luwak likes this.
  4. A ga
    A galaxy of uppers and downers; laughers, screamers.

luwak and hopsbreath like this.
  5. Douberd

Douberd Savant (320) Netherlands Jan 27, 2012

They seem to be the ingredients, on one I think I can make "caramel m(alt)" and then they have made up things too, like "passion".

6. “They seem to be the ingredients, ... like "passion".

That is funny right there!:D

Cheers!

7. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

This stuff is cheap in Texas... $5.99/6-pack at Target. Probably cheaper elsewhere. I took a double-take and indeed it was $5.99 (regular bud is $5.49). It's priced $1 more than Lone Star and $1 less than Shiner Bock. For a craft comparison, we get Sierra Nevada Pale Ale/Torpedo for $12.99/12-pack on the low end.

As for the taste... it tasted a bit sweeter to me that regular Bud.

Gotta say though. GREAT marketing campaign. Truly inspired. Made me buy a 6-pack just out of morbid curiosity.

8. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

They seemed to have missed a vital ingredient: rice. :)

9. I just saw budweiser black crown at Mr. K's in placentia 6 pack for $4.99.

10. tx_beer_man

tx_beer_man Savant (265) Texas Jan 22, 2013

Yeah seeing plenty of them...the messed up with platinum. That was straight nasty. AB or not, not going to try.

11. kempshark

kempshark Aficionado (150) Florida Jul 22, 2009

Yeah, it's $5.99 a sixer here in west Florida. I never tried the Platinum, but then again I hate Budweiser (regular, light, etc)....so I really doubt I will ever try it. Maybe if someone hands me one at some party or something. Everyone seems to drink either Heineken or Bud Light at my wife's relatives' parties (Thai and Lao), and I don't drink either of them. I normally bring my own beer!! A couple of my wife's cousins are willing or excited to try new beers, but most of the stouts, porter, quads, sours, etc that I drink are a little too much for them. Oh well, I will convert at least one of them eventually!!! Especially if I can stop them from trying to give me shots of Hennessy with my craft beers!!! :)

12. tx_beer_man

Agreed! That'll be the case for me too. Yep, my wife got me a growler for Christmas. Makes her friends' parties so much better.

13. Black Crown, more like dunce cap.

14. luwak

luwak Savant (305) Arizona Mar 2, 2010

"12 recipes, six beers brewed for national sampling, and 25,000 opinions, the experiment has resulted in a new golden amber lager"

Really? That's what they decided after all those entries?

15. I almost tried it at a bar last night. I felt silly asking. They ha sold out and it was only like 11 but I wasn't at all surprised

16. Drew26

Drew26 Savant (355) Wisconsin Nov 2, 2012

The commercials for it were just terrible imo...

17. Shagator

Shagator Savant (410) Kentucky Mar 17, 2012

Heard two people talking about it at a party today and how much they liked it. Took all my energy not to say something.

I think this is the new Hipster beer

18. tx_beer_man

And pass up PBR? Hah! :eek:

19. Wouldn't it be ironic if one or more of the new AB/InBev entries that use the Budweiser name take a sizable share away from their big 2 and not from the craft beer segment. Many speculate that they already have, but I mean a measurable share that the bean counters at AB/InBev can directly relate to the big 2. Same goes for Miller/Coors, if the have any that carry the Miller or Coors labels.

20. I will freely admit that I am not always up to date on all the slang terms.

I always thought that hipsters were people who dressed in plaid shirts and skinny jeans.

It seems to me that AB is marketing Black Crown to ‘pretty’ people (who like to dress in fancy black clothing?).

I am not an advertising person but I thought that the commercials for Black Crown had a lot of messages (mixed messages?). It had the typical sex appeal aspect with all of the pretty people (including women in black stiletto shoes). It also had the tagline which was quoted above: "12 recipes, six beers brewed for national sampling, and 25,000 opinions, the experiment has resulted in a new golden amber lager"

So, were they trying to sell a ‘tasty’ beer or were they trying to sell a lifestyle (or maybe both)?

Now, I am not a fan of drinking AB beers but I just gotta say that I really enjoyed watching the Bud Light commercials with the voodoo aspects. The commercial with the comfy chair was hilarious! The commercial does not want me to personally go out and buy Bud Light but it does inspire me to ‘talk’ about Bud Light. Is that considered a ‘success’ in the advertising world!?!

Cheers!

21. Crusader

Crusader Savant (345) Sweden Feb 4, 2011

One thing that I noticed, or didn't notice rather, was the absence of any clear references to the beer's 6%abv. I figured they would include a close up of the bottle or something along those lines to drive that point home but it didn't feature in the commercials that I could see. So in a way the message was a bit more classy than I would have expected.

22. frazbri

frazbri Advocate (635) Ohio Oct 29, 2003

When stated in a voice over, "golden amber lager" sounded even more ridiculous.

23. I noticed the 6% ABV in the video shots of the bottle but I must admit that I was looking for it, the shot of the bottle was brief (1-2 seconds?).

Cheers!

P.S. Did your favorite team win?

24. M0rtyC

M0rtyC Zealot (85) Massachusetts Apr 15, 2010

Tried one last night after the Super Bowl. Granted the early evening involved Several??? great craft brews. One sip and the bartender exchanged it for a SN Pale Ale. According to her....... I was the 6th person in the exchange program (she had served 7)

25. You're all so narrow minded. What's good is good. There's such a bias here. Macrobrews can be solid too. What's wrong with liking the more refined ones as well as the typical large company beers? You are all so negatively biased toward the Budweiser and Coors, etc. companies that you don't even taste the beer but your preconceived notions of what you already think about it. Weak.

26. aasher

aasher Champion (910) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

I don't know why they said "coming February 3rd" when this beer has been out for almost a month.

27. MLucky

MLucky Savant (380) California Jul 31, 2010

This is to be expected. A-B, noticing its decling market share, does what corporations do: conduct a focus group, and launch a public relations offensive, and give the public more of the same old crap. It's about as exciting and important as McDonalds launching a "new" burger that tastes exactly like all of its old burgers.

Anybody who's ever had to work in a corporate environment knows the kind of shit work that results from this kind of process, which is based on an appeal to the lowest common denominator. You wind up with something bland and unremarkable that's not going to change your brand perception one way or the other.

You want to know what would impress me? If some major BMC company decided to throw away the focus groups, stop worrying about market share, and brew the best beer their gifted and highly paid brewers knew how to make. Like that would ever happen.

PsilohsaiBiN likes this.
  28. Shagator

Shagator Savant (410) Kentucky Mar 17, 2012

While I agree you need to taste it to decide, but when and what was the last great , or even good beer, or "Solid" as you say, that you had from the Budweiser or Miller or Coors line? Granted, I will drink MGD or High Life if it is deemed necessary, but in the last few years I have not been excited about anything from them. Please let me know as my wallet needs a break.

29. premierpro

premierpro Savant (315) Michigan Mar 21, 2009

I see a lot of comments of people bashing this beer because it is made from Budwieser. Am I the only one thats tried it. I do not like the taste of Bud in any way,however the Bud Black is a real nice beer. To me it is like a Vienna Lager. I drank quite a few of these during the superbowl and enjoyed them.

30. Yes, Roose13 reported on his drinking of Black Crown in a previous post:

JackHorzempa said: ↑
    How would you compare it to Yuengling Lager?

Cheers!
    Pretty similar, maybe a little sweeter. Roose13, Jan 14, 2013 Report #89 Like Reply JackHorzempa

Roose13 said: ↑
    Pretty similar, maybe a little sweeter.
    "Pretty similar" Thanks for that input. That is what I expected from reading the marketing crap from AB on this beer.

I will state the obvious (for me). If I desire to drink an American Amber Adjunct Lager (which is a very rare occurrence for me) I will reach for a Yuengling Lager.

Cheers!

31. CreightonSM

CreightonSM Savant (330) New York Dec 23, 2010

I had this the other night. It's nothing special, if I had to choose between a black crown or a 16oz can of bud heavy... I'd take the bud heavy.

32. premierpro

I like Luengling lager and drink it when I am in Florida or South Carolina but the Bud Black is a different style. (In my opinion!)I think Bud labels this as an Amber Lager because we are not smart enough to know what a Vienna Lager is.

33. Big Disclaimer: I have no internal knowledge of how AB brews Black Crown!

In a previous post I postulated on the ingredients of Black Crown:

“I am not privy to all of Anheuser-Busch’s brewing practices but permit me to make a statement that Budweiser Black Crown will indeed be an adjunct beer.

My guess of the grain bill:

65% neutral base malt (American 2-row)
    5% Crystal Malt (playing the role of ‘food coloring’ and providing some caramel taste)
    30% Rice (to provide a consistent lighter body that will not turn off the mainstream beer drinkers)

I doubt that I will ever be able to find out what the actual grist for Budweiser Black Crown is but I am pretty confident on the above guess.”

To me the ‘defining’ aspect of a Vienna lager is:

“Ingredients:Vienna malt provides a lightly toasty and complex, melanoidin-rich malt profile. As with Oktoberfests, only the finest quality malt should be used, along with Continental hops (preferably noble varieties). Moderately hard, carbonate-rich water. Can use some caramel malts and/or darker malts to add color and sweetness, but caramel malts shouldn’t add significant aroma and flavor and dark malts shouldn’t provide any roasted.”

Since the above ‘definition’ is inconsistent with my guess on the Black Crown ingredients I personally will stick with the style of American Amber Adjunct Lager.

Cheers!

34. premierpro

If you try this beer your opinion will change. Take care.

35. I will indeed try it if I find it on draft somewhere.

Your 'message' is indeed meaningful: the proof is in the pudding!!

Cheers!

36. Danielbt

Danielbt Savant (380) Texas May 4, 2012

I'd agree, but while I like Batch 19, for example, I don't like Black Crown. Simple as that.

37. JAramini

JAramini Savant (320) New York Jun 5, 2005

I am in a market where I can regularly get Yuengling and it's pretty cheap too. So, the "regular" beer in the fridge is always Yuengling. Like someone earlier in the thread said, my first impression was "Yuengling, but sweeter." Since Yuengling is cheaper (95%) and I like their company better (5%) I don't see ever buying Black Crown again.