1. The BeerAdvocate Store is back! Pre-order your stuff now. Items begin shipping Dec 15. Christmas deadline = Dec 18 @ 5pm EST.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

New Cantillon sizes

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by meerkat2, May 23, 2012.

1. meerkat2

meerkat2 Aficionado (245) Florida Aug 27, 2007

Centennial likes this.
  2. meerkat2

meerkat2 Aficionado (245) Florida Aug 27, 2007

3. This is one sexy thread!

celticfutblclub likes this.
  4. robinsmv

robinsmv Initiate (0) Florida Jun 24, 2010

If a cell phone company used this as their ad i may be tempted to switch carriers

5. stakem

stakem Champion (870) Pennsylvania Feb 20, 2009

Its a gimmick! See how they gave into the newest fad of wax dipping?

Im kidding of course, if this was available to me I would buy more than I can afford.

6. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

I saw the empty bottles on a tour recently, I wondered what the deal was. Can't wait to see them trading for WALES.

7. 6 liters of Cantillon = massive heartburn... where do I sign up???

8. trxxpaxxs

trxxpaxxs Champion (760) New York Mar 5, 2010

Mathusa-loons!

I like the sound of that.

9. Skip the Methusela -> ship an extra case of regular sized sized bottles to the US.

woosterbill likes this.
  10. .75L is $13 so a 6L would be around $100, that one bottle would be more than what local stores can even get...
    Classic Gueuze used for my example.

11. Agold

Agold Advocate (510) Pennsylvania Mar 13, 2010

A chimay 750 is about 10-12ish, but the jerobams are over 70 just about everywhere I see them. There is a definite markup for these big bottles. They are better for aging, and are a great impressive piece for the cellar. I guess that is why people are willing to pay 2x per oz relative to the 750. My guess is that the 6L don't sell for less than 250-300

HopsJunkiedotcom likes this.
  12. And I jizzed in my pants...

DJFairhurst and Jakers90 like this.
  13. Edward Mathusalem-Hands.

14. Keffa

Keffa Advocate (530) Ohio Jan 8, 2009

So this. How about just being able to ship more Cantillon into the US so we can drink it again? Please? Is that so much to ask Jean?

15. UncleJimbo

UncleJimbo Site Editor (955) Massachusetts Sep 11, 2002 Staff Member

So nice to see news of a brewery going to larger bottles. I was afraid when I saw this thread that Cantillon was going to jump on the overpriced 12 oz 4-pack bandwagon. ;)

16. Agold

Agold Advocate (510) Pennsylvania Mar 13, 2010

You would rather see them jump on the overpriced big bottle bandwagon?

17. Size when are 12-oz as a general rule over-priced compared to 22/25oz? Isn't it usually the other way around?

18. WillCarrera

WillCarrera Savant (495) Ohio Oct 11, 2010

Typically you pay much more ounce for ounce for bombers than you do for 12 oz bottles. Six-packs often fall in the 12 dollar range, so you get about 72 ounces for 12 dollars, or about $0.16 per ounce. Bombers are often somewhere around 7 bucks and often much more than that. I know that FFF bombers go for $10-12, which would be about $0.54 per ounce. Methusalem usually go for over $200 (and I'm sure Cantillon's will cost more), and they contain around 202 ounces, so you're paying about a $1 per ounce, which is like buying a $22 bomber or a $12 12 oz bottle, it's not a good deal any way you slice it except for novelty.

19. xpimptastikx

xpimptastikx Initiate (0) Texas Oct 8, 2008

Exactly! For a brewery that can't even come close to meeting demand, why make a novelty product?
    I mean, I guess it makes sense if you're just trying to turn a profit and make demand even higher for your product... But then that just leads to more people selling "limited" products on ebay, which is one of JvR's biggest annoyances. :confused:

20. As much as I find myself involuntarily drooling when looking at a picture of large-format, wax-dipped Cantillons, I'm definitely of the "if you can't even come close to meeting demand, what the hell do you think you're doing pouring cases and cases worth of Gueuze into a few overpriced novelty bottles?" camp. Magnums, sure - why not. Those can at least realistically get spread out a little bit, and I can definitely see the point in having some cellar-specific bottles produced. Once you get into Jeroboam territory, though, it starts to smell like a gimmick.

I feel the same way about RR, Duvel, Chimay, Stone, whatever - but at least those beers aren't already ridiculously hard to find in normal sizes.