1. Rating beers by attributes (look, smell, taste, feel, overall) is back! Read the latest update ...
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

New Colorado Breweries

Discussion in 'US - Mountain' started by caboose9, Feb 25, 2012.

1. tacosandbeer

tacosandbeer Savant (420) Colorado Sep 24, 2010

Hogshead is open and the June hours listed on the site are correct.

2. caboose9

caboose9 Aficionado (195) Ohio Oct 6, 2006

"Hogshead is open and the June hours listed on the site are correct."

I'm told they are serving beer brewed off-site, like the Vine Street Pub did for several years.

When will they be serving the beer now being brewed at the tasting room location?

Thanks, Roger

3. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

I think that's the plan for Prost's lagers for August, too.
    I went to Hogshead yesterday and they definitely have their equipment in, and they actually looked to have just finished brewing (or at least cleaning and getting things ready) at the time.
    Their ESB is damned tasty, although it was served on normal CO2 draft for the moment.

4. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Poobah (1,030) Colorado May 19, 2005

Small updates:

Hogshead is open on weekends and they have 2 brews going now. The ESB, like Domingo stated, is darn good. Still on CO2, but good nonetheless. The Lake Lightening is purrty good, too. Their equipment is all.... equipped and running. Hooked up the I-net so they can control it offsite (at least, that's what I understood)

Prost just started brewing this week. Mid August readiness?

5. Prospero

Prospero Advocate (655) Colorado Jul 27, 2010

Sounds like Black Shirt in August/ September as well

6. Domingo

Not sure if it means much, but John from Black Fox was brewing at Dry Dock on Tuesday afternoon. It might've just been him helping out, but he was definitely brewing there. Personally, I'm almost as excited for his stuff as I am Bill's over at Prost. Not quite, but close...

7. dauss

dauss Advocate (575) Colorado Aug 9, 2003

John left Bristol and is brewing at Dry Dock.

8. Suds Brothers in Fruita must have some funky hours as I called them before we headed over to Junction (Mack, actually) for Country Jam. They told me they were open 11a-10p sun-thur and 11a-11p (if crowd warranted it) fri-sat. I tried stopping in on Sunday at noon and they were closed. Tried calling several times with no one answering the phone and not getting a voice mail. Would've liked to visit them and try something from them. As a "consolation", we went to Old Chicago two nights after the shows and sipped on a growler from Kannah on the other two nights.

9. caboose9

Schmittymack wrote: "Suds Brothers in Fruita must have some funky hours as I called them before we headed over to Mack for Country Jam. They told me they were open 11a-10p sun-thur and 11a-11p fri-sat. I tried stopping in on Sunday at noon and they were closed. Tried calling several times with no one answering the phone and not getting a voice mail. "

Howdy,

I tried a couple of times prior to their opening to get status information and an approximate opening date.

Based on that experience, I'd guess they could screw up a one car funeral!

Cheers, Roger

Schmittymack likes this.
  10. Prospero

Stopped in Elevation over the weekend with some friends (after hiking Mt. Princeton). Was hoping to get a tour, but went early on Sunday and didn't want to hassle anyone for just a few people. I don't think anyone that normally does the tours was there yet.

Wow, what a great place. Only wish it was closer to Denver. Great decor (particularly the wood bar top with integrated metal logo) and just adds to the already classy/professional thing they got going on with the excellent branding. (logo/glasses/website/sales sheet/bottle labels) They must know a graphic designer.

Apis IV - Great quad, smooth, rich, complex (and imho that's hard to do fresh/young), I think this will just get even better with some age on it, bottle is only $10 at the brewery.

Mount Blanca - nice refreshing saison, pretty light bodied, probably more traditional saison at lighter ABV, not as much citrus and breadiness that I get from other saisons.

Imperial Saison - now this is more like it, full-bodied, great citrus nose and breadiness to the base, too bad they aren't exactly sure how they made this one, hope they remember enough of the recipe to make it again.

Imperial Stout (RIS) - again, knocked my socks off to get this rediculously good of a RIS in such a young brewery, it shows the founders knew what they were doing when building this recipe and to think this was another playground beer that they were experimenting on, only to go into their double-black-diamond barrel series (hooray! sign me up for 10 bottles of this goodness!)

Kolsch - a-freakin-mazing, never seen a Kolsch this good come from a brewery 1-2 months old as this is a tricky style to brew. I could drink this all day long, really hope this makes it to Denver on draft.

First Cast IPA - good solid IPA, not a fan of Chinook hops, but they balanced it well with Summit and Zythos and this is an easy-drinking IPA!

BTW, Mt. Princeton Hot Springs has the Apis IV & First Cast IPA on tap for Happy Hour from 2-5pm, great place to sample these beers at great prices if you can't make it the extra 25-30 min. south to the brewery.

drumrboy22, rob2654 and Mebuzzard like this.
  11. Mebuzzard

I think Crooked Stave has a Denver place, not where Westword (was it them?) stated. It's close to CDC and Stomp Them Grapes.

12. drumrboy22

drumrboy22 Savant (460) Colorado Jul 22, 2005

The address I saw was 46th & Pecos. Don't know much about that part of town, but it's just W of 25 and S of 70. No clue when he might actually be open, but I love that he's moved his operation to Denver.

13. ucsbmullet

ucsbmullet Savant (465) Colorado Oct 5, 2011

14. drumrboy22

15. Mebuzzard

First couple of batches to be brewed (or are brewing???) at Prost.

Prost, Denver Beer Co, Amato's, Hogshead, Crooked Stave, Hops & Pie, Highland Tap/Burger....I'm loving my "new" neighborhood! I think I just piddled.....

16. drumrboy22

Prost is brewing. They're still saying 4-6 weeks.

17. Prospero

Prost is on batch 3 as of their fb page today

tacosandbeer likes this.
  18. Domingo

Their weissbier turn-around should be pretty quick, but Bill's definitely going to make sure their lagers sit for 5-6 weeks. Their said, I think they've already got some of stuff ready to go to some draft outlets and they should be on time for the 1st or 2nd week in August.
    Pretty much no matter when they open, I'll be there with a mass (or 2, thanks to the light rail) in hand.

19. Mebuzzard

As per their FB page, Prost opening Aug 23

20. maltynose

maltynose Zealot (95) Colorado Oct 24, 2006

Loveland Aleworks is open. We are adding a beer every Friday until we have 10 on tap. This friday we are tapping English mild. We are pouring American wheat, Belgian pale, saison and east coast IPA. Premium bitter goes on next Friday. We brewed American stout today.

Nick

Domingo and Mebuzzard like this.
  21. vfiend

vfiend Disciple (70) Colorado Jul 18, 2012

I went to City Star last weekend. Some nice saisons and super thick and cloudy wheat. Really liked that. Nice vibe there too. I think they feature acoustic music almost everyday. Worth the trip IMO.

SalukiAlum likes this.
  22. Domingo

New places popping up left and right...I'm now thinking I'll have to make a north Denver trek one Saturday to hit up all the places I haven't been yet.

Anyone else planning on being at the Prost opening on 8/23? I'm half tempted to just take the day off and make an afternoon of it.

23. Mebuzzard

I'll be there with bells on. Well, maybe not bells....but pants for sure

24. drumrboy22

We might head over on the 23rd. Heard there's a party in the works for the 25th. We'll be there at some point that weekend. Can't wait.

25. dauss

Pictures of Crooked Stave brewing on Prost's system spotted online.

26. Domingo

Interesting...and cool. Opposite ends of the beer spectrum in one building.

27. vfiend

vfiend Disciple (70) Colorado Jul 18, 2012

Went to TRVE brewing this past week (TRUE. It's that Roman V U thing). Loved their Prehistoric Dog, a Gose style beer. Guess they got slammed at the Underground Music Showcase the previous weekend so they are little more low on brew than they'd like to be, but still a good problem to have. I will definitely be back and may try to persuade them into naming a beer after one of my band's songs :)

I also went to Lowry Beer Garden. Was very impressed. It's not very beer-centric but it's a great place. Yeah they don't have huge elms or much passing by (people watching) to check out but the vibe is cool. Also very family friendly which should serve them well in that area. Met the owner also. He either started and or owns some or all of Billy's Inn and Patrick Carroll's in the Berkeley area of Denver. Nice guy.

28. Domingo

Finally made it to Arvada Brewing. I'm digging it. A good number of solid brews. Their Irish Red and Butter Pecan Brown are especially good. Bill Eye is randomly here with the brewers, too.
    Now I just need to hit up Big Choice to complete my brewery 'ticking' for Denver.

29. Big Choice just had a Living Social where you got two tasting flights and two pints for like $10 (can't remember the exact cost but was worth it).

Went to Bootstrap brewery in Niwot yesterday. Pretty solid lineup. They had a Cherry-Ginger that I got the last taster of but seemed to be very popular. Everyone who came in asked for it. I thought their Dunkle was fantastic and very nice IPA. pretty solid lineup.

30. dauss

Had Prost Weisbier on tap at Rackhouse. They say it's available at Falling Rock and Hops and Pie.

31. caboose9

Does anyone have the name, address, &/or the status of the brewery rumored to be under construction in Evergreen?

Thanks, Roger

32. Oxymoron

Oxymoron Advocate (635) Colorado Aug 14, 2005

I also went to Bootstrap on the weekend. Good line but no thank you on the chili beer.

33. Domingo

Do you normally care for chili beers or was that one just not to your liking?

34. I thought the chile beer was alright. Not over-powering.

35. Oxymoron

Oxymoron Advocate (635) Colorado Aug 14, 2005

I like a subtle chili flavor. The best I have ever had was from Thunderhead Brewing out of Kearny NE

36. PorphyryKyle

PorphyryKyle Disciple (55) Colorado Feb 10, 2010

37. Domingo

We're only 2 days away from Prost's grand opening (8/23 at noon). Who else will be there?
    I've got the day off and I've got a growler ready!

38. Prospero

Haha, this is what makes Colorado beer culture 2nd to NONE!

Wish I could take the day off.

39. coreymcafee

coreymcafee Savant (350) Colorado May 30, 2006

I might be joining you. I'll try to shoot you a message if I'm gonna make it.

40. Mebuzzard

Me me me!