New Colorado Breweries

Discussion in 'US - Mountain' started by caboose9, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Tolann

Tolann Savant (350) Colorado Jul 9, 2007

New offer I found today:
    http://www.weeklyplus.com/denver/featured/local-services/south-denver-beer-fest-1-3557.html
    South Denver Beer Fest Littleton, CO

$19
    for a General Admission Ticket to the South Denver Beer Festival

Value
    $40
    Discount
    53%
    Savings
    $21

joshclauss, dauss and hopfacebrew like this.
  2. hiphopj5

hiphopj5 Savant (405) Colorado Jan 29, 2010

3. scray24

scray24 Savant (275) Colorado Mar 12, 2008

There will also be several homebrew clubs pouring at the beer fest...

4. riored4v

riored4v Savant (370) Colorado Jul 11, 2007

I'll be there pouring for Resistance Brewing. Looking forward to the event and trying everyones beers.

5. dauss

dauss Advocate (575) Colorado Aug 9, 2003

I just went to Cannonball Creek yesterday. Open for about 3 months and their beers are good. I recommend it if you are in the area.

drumrboy22 likes this.
  6. joshclauss

joshclauss Savant (315) Colorado Oct 31, 2010

FYI - Just found out that Atom Brewing had to withdraw from South Denver Beer Fest. They're not making enough beer right now to meet the minimum requirement of the festival. Sucks, because it's awesome, but at least Jeff gets to get back to focusing on producing a lot more beer for the peoples.

7. dauss

Is South Denver Beer Fest paying for these beers? Does Atom have a liquor license?

8. scray24

Here's another one that should be opening within a month or so, essentially downtown Golden (between clear creek and hwy 58).

http://mountaintoadbrewing.com/

9. joshclauss

Don't know on either account actually.

10. scray24

Just a heads up as our club was notified that, due to feedback from the liquor enforcement folks, the homebrew portion has been cancelled.

11. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

Apparently all of the "breweries in planning" might not be able to be there either. Still, it seems like a pretty cool fest either way. Wish I was in town for it.

12. dauss

13. HRCam

HRCam Aficionado (125) Colorado Oct 14, 2008

At this point, I think about 9 of the new breweries have had to pull out even after getting all of their beer/ swag ready. Those flip flopping liquor enforcement people sigh..

14. Prospero

Prospero Advocate (675) Colorado Jul 27, 2010

Diebolt just got their equipment and building permit this month

15. mkorpal

mkorpal Savant (285) Colorado Oct 28, 2007

Well, it's kind of their fault for putting all that into an event that was operating in a "gray area."

16. riored4v

riored4v Savant (370) Colorado Jul 11, 2007

Yup, I still think it will be a good festival.

I won't be able to serve my beers anymore, which is a huge bummer. Sucks to go through the process of making a ton of beer, buying schwag and getting all sorts of things in order to be told "sorry" just a few days before the event. I'm not upset at the SDBF people, just more upset at the state for changing their mind after giving the ok on all of this.

17. dauss

Caution Brewing signs lease on a second brewery and taphouse

18. Domingo

It'll be cool to have a second location for Caution. They're tucked away into a pretty odd corner (luckily close to me) and I think another tasting room closer to town will serve them well.
    My guess is that they'll be on the west side...at least based upon where the Lao Wang Noodle House and their neck of the woods are.

19. joshclauss

Packaged Lao Wang Lager......give it to me.

20. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Poobah (1,030) Colorado May 19, 2005

21. Mebuzzard

Walked by Mountain Toad last night. They look pert-near close to being finished installing, furnishing, etc. Equipment is in, chairs, tables....just some cleaning, finishing touches.

22. Dtapeski

Dtapeski Aficionado (195) Colorado Oct 26, 2012

They are scheduled for a May 25th opening

23. Prospero

Colorado+ is open for business with 50 some taps, brewery to open next month I heard

Epic installed fermenters, probably going to be open by August I'd imagine.

24. dauss

Odyssey Beerwerks is also supposed to be opening on May 25 per their Facebook update.

25. Mebuzzard

Any news about The Source?

26. dauss

Twelve Degrees Brewing in downtown Louisville just brewed their first batch yesterday. I was there last night meeting some friends and peeked through the window and what I assume to be the owner was finishing up their brew day. 7 barrel system, on Main Street, between Spruce and Walnut, on the east side. They said they hope to be open in 3-4 weeks.

alexipa likes this.
  27. FarmerTed

FarmerTed Savant (335) Colorado May 31, 2011

Lord, I hope they brew good beers. I haven't been too much of a fan of Gravity yet, but I've heard that a couple of their beers are better.

28. Mebuzzard

I need an intern to help keep track of all of these! I'll give credit.

29. mentor

mentor Advocate (625) Colorado Aug 23, 2003

I think RiffRaff Brewing in Pagosa had a soft opening this week.

30. Prospero

31. alexipa

alexipa Savant (420) Colorado Oct 7, 2011

Gravity has been nothing short of impressive so far in terms of improving almost monthly. I agree, at first their beers were crazy shaky and very hit-or-miss. Every time I've gone lately I've been happy (except with their RIS, it is gross). They do Belgians pretty well and their IPA is fantastic. The ESB is very solid as well. Check them out again!

I'm really excited for this new one in Louisville as well.

32. FarmerTed

FarmerTed Savant (335) Colorado May 31, 2011

I'll have to give Gravity another shot soon. Actually, the RIS was the only beer that I've had there that I liked, lol. I've heard that the barrel-aged DIPA was good. What I don't like is how so many of their beers are 8+ percent, and the lower alcohol ones I've had haven't been any better than my homebrew.

alexipa likes this.
  33. drumrboy22

drumrboy22 Savant (470) Colorado Jul 22, 2005

That Barrel-aged DIPA is delish. I thought the RIS tasted borderline infected when I had it a few weeks ago. Something was off. Everything else I've had has been pretty solid.

34. drumrboy22

35. alexipa

alexipa Savant (420) Colorado Oct 7, 2011

Agreed. When I had the RIS, it was either infected or just really bad. It seemed strange that they were serving a brew that had obviously gone very wrong.

They seemed to have shaped up a LOT since then.

36. Mebuzzard

I've experienced several new breweries in town that serve infected/off beer. Guess they figure it's better than dumping it

hopfacebrew likes this.
  37. Domingo

Yeah, I think that's a slippery slope. For a lot of the start-ups (even some of the better ones), diacetyl seems to be an early growing pain. While I'm admittedly sensitive to that...and oniony flavors, some could have been best described as "movie theater popcorn beer."
    While I understand not wanting to dump your source of income, but I think it scares people off. There have been a few places I've hesitated to return to. When I think about my favorite spots, they're not always the places that blow you away with crazy flavors but often the places that simply crank out consistent quality beers and would dump out anything that wasn't. I always remember Scott at Wit's End telling me about dumping out a beer he felt wasn't up to par. If he can do it - anyone can.

38. drumrboy22

39. scray24

Not a big surprise as its usually due to trying to turn the beers too quick and pulling them off of the yeast too early. I've had several beers from established breweries (laughing lab) that were huge diacetyl bombs too. If you're undercapitalized this is a harder call but should still be a no-brainer.

40. There is a lot of shitty beer being served in this town right now. Cheerleader that I am, I ain't naming any names. I want everybody to make it.

I will say, per Domingo's post, Scott at Wit's End isn't serving any bullshit. HE, at least, certainly gets it. I have never had a bad or even questionable beer there. And his capacity is so small it must really hurt to make the necessary decision we all make as homebrewers, on occasion...

I think the market will weed people out, so brewers/owners, if it isn't up to snuff, pour it out. It will benefit you in the long run. There are places I've been to once and will never go back to, and there are 100s of knowledgeable beer drinkers who never post on these forums, for every one of me. You serve me one d-bomb, one phenolic hot mess, one WTF was that? and that little revenue stream is gone. (I hate to admit it but between home-brewing and drinking both in the house and out of the house, I probably spend $500-750 a month on beer, and I don't chase whales. In other words, I am the target Denver small brewery customer. Fuck with me, and with the 100 non-posting iterations of me, at your peril.)

If you, the brewer or owner, don't KNOW it's bad, then that's another problem.