1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

New Colorado Breweries

Discussion in 'US - Mountain' started by caboose9, Feb 25, 2012.

1. scray24

scray24 Savant (275) Colorado Mar 12, 2008

Not a big surprise as its usually due to trying to turn the beers too quick and pulling them off of the yeast too early. I've had several beers from established breweries (laughing lab) that were huge diacetyl bombs too. If you're undercapitalized this is a harder call but should still be a no-brainer.

2. There is a lot of shitty beer being served in this town right now. Cheerleader that I am, I ain't naming any names. I want everybody to make it.

I will say, per Domingo's post, Scott at Wit's End isn't serving any bullshit. HE, at least, certainly gets it. I have never had a bad or even questionable beer there. And his capacity is so small it must really hurt to make the necessary decision we all make as homebrewers, on occasion...

I think the market will weed people out, so brewers/owners, if it isn't up to snuff, pour it out. It will benefit you in the long run. There are places I've been to once and will never go back to, and there are 100s of knowledgeable beer drinkers who never post on these forums, for every one of me. You serve me one d-bomb, one phenolic hot mess, one WTF was that? and that little revenue stream is gone. (I hate to admit it but between home-brewing and drinking both in the house and out of the house, I probably spend $500-750 a month on beer, and I don't chase whales. In other words, I am the target Denver small brewery customer. Fuck with me, and with the 100 non-posting iterations of me, at your peril.)

If you, the brewer or owner, don't KNOW it's bad, then that's another problem.

3. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Poobah (1,030) Colorado May 19, 2005

I don't go so far as to say I'll never go back, but it will be a while. It's understandable, to me, that some things must be dialed in (although, perhaps that should have been done behind closed doors). Just don't ask me if I've ever had a saison before (won't go back to that place for a loooong time). Several breweries have improved their beers quite a bit since being first released to the public.

joshclauss likes this.
  4. Prospero

Prospero Advocate (675) Colorado Jul 27, 2010

^this

But I do have 3 breweries on my list that I don't really see a reason to go back to, after repeatably getting bad beer.

5. SalukiAlum

SalukiAlum Advocate (530) Colorado Dec 19, 2010

As some of you said above with new breweries opening on a weekly basis all over the state of Colorado, they better do their best to put out a quality product or they won't survive. Unfortunately I think that is what we're going to see the next few years. So a drain pour is worth it in the long run!

blindpiggie likes this.
  6. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

At this point, I'm pretty sure we're going to see some failures popping up in the near future.
    I personally just hope that we don't end up weeding out the wrong ones in the process. Some of the "dud" places (at least in my opinion) are occasionally among the most crowded.
    I think success and failure will come down to quality/reputation and likely location. There are a few awful places that have been around forever. I won't name names, but they're some of the few places in the western 'burbs and they pre-date the Denver beer boom. To kill them off will probably take quite a few micros to move west.
    IMO, our first big casualties might be in the somewhat crowded downtown areas.

SalukiAlum likes this.
  7. Mebuzzard

8. PDawson

PDawson Aficionado (145) Colorado Mar 27, 2013

9. drumrboy22

drumrboy22 Savant (470) Colorado Jul 22, 2005

ucsbmullet likes this.
  10. Wow, this looks like a pretty big deal, 20 bbl Sprinkman brewhouse, 6500 sq ft---not another nano, for sure. 9150 Commerce Center Drive, my kid played lacrosse at the stadium just down the block from there. (For South High, we lost as usual)

These guys are going to have to sell some beer to break even, good luck to them. They didn't wade into the shallow end, that's for sure.

11. Ratman197

Ratman197 Savant (395) Colorado Aug 11, 2007

I hope they don't do a colab with Dog. He was never much of a biker and he sure knows nothing about beer.:eek:

coreymcafee and Schmittymack like this.
  12. poonamibaxter

poonamibaxter Savant (315) Colorado Jun 26, 2007

I hit up Bru in Boulder after the Avery release on Sunday. All the beers were solid that I tried but they make a dubbel with sour cherries that was great. I would have bought a growler. Food was good also.

drumrboy22 likes this.
  13. alexipa

alexipa Savant (420) Colorado Oct 7, 2011

Haven't seen much on here about the new Fate Brewing in Boulder, so I'll add my thoughts. Cool building and atmosphere, great food I hear (didn't have much myself), but the beer is a complete mess. They are charging insane prices for mostly watered down craft styles. I would give them a few months/years to figure it out before ordering a beer there.

hopfacebrew and SalukiAlum like this.
  14. alexipa

Wow. That escalated quickly there at the end.

hopfacebrew likes this.
  15. joshclauss

joshclauss Savant (305) Colorado Oct 31, 2010

I think this opinion probably calls for a little community recalibration...just a little.

MarkyMOD likes this.
  16. ucsbmullet

ucsbmullet Savant (485) Colorado Oct 5, 2011

I completely disagree about Fate. Their Watermelon Kolsh is possibly the best summer beer out. And their IPA was pretty darn good.

A new brewery I was recently impressed by was Gravity in Louisville. Solid lineup.

MarkyMOD likes this.
  17. mikey451

mikey451 Aficionado (215) Utah Mar 11, 2003

Today is Epic' Brewing's first brew day in Denver. They're starting with "Escape to Colorado IPA".

18. Domingo

The Royal Hilltop had the normal Fate Koelsch on tap - it was nice for what it was (even if it isn't my favorite style).
    While not necessarily new, Tivoli Helles will now be in 22oz bottles in and around town. For the lagerheads like myself, that beer and the Bavarian helles from Copper Kettle are the summer beers of choice.

19. SalukiAlum

I would have to agree with you, wasn't impressed at all! And with Wild Woods, J. Wells, BRU, Upslope and Avery on the other side of the street you better bring your A game!

20. alexipa

Yeah, agreed. It's not that the beer was just bad; it was the prices that really irked me. A 12 oz stout for $6 should not taste like water.

I have not had their Kolsch.

21. Yep. I mean 4.50 a pint for most of their lineup (3.50 during happy hour) seems pretty good. I find Jeff has a mastery of pretty much every style he's made so far. The Roggenbier and their DIPA are my jam. They bring in some great guest taps (Maybe this is where the high price thing is coming in? Those still seem on par with Backcountry). Maybe I'm a little pre-disposed to liking them since they're a short walk from my place, but "watered down" seems a bit harsh.

22. I had a Tivoli Helles the other day, on tap at a bar I wouldn't consider a craft venue, although with BMC supplemented with 6-8 craft taps it would certainly have qualified a few years ago--404 Club on Broadway.

This is an excellent Helles! Is Prost making this, it kind of tastes like Bill Eye had something to do with it?

23. Domingo

Hopefully that wasn't sarcasm I totally missed :p
    Yes, Bill @ Prost is responsible for the Tivoli Helles. It's at least in theory a re-imagining of the old defunct Tivoli beer brand. However I know for a fact that he's using the Kloster Andechs lager yeast in it, plus it's decoction mashed using Weyermann malts. No clue if there are any adjuncts in it, but if there are - they aren't easily detectable by taste/smell.
    It's a top notch beer. It's not quite Augustiner, but it's the best American helles I've had.

24. No sarcasm; I had read a few months ago about some nice couple (from Nederland or somewhere I think) resurrecting the brand and I knew it was going to be contract brewed but I didn't know by whom. I imagined the original would have been an adjunct lager of sorts, even if a pre-prohibition formulation, so wasn't expecting greatness, and when I took the first sip I was very pleasantly surprised, and thought that Prost must have been the contract brewer, just 'cause it tasted like Eye's work to me. Serving was draft so no label to check...

I also tasted no adjunct, if it's there it is extremely well hidden.

25. dauss

dauss Advocate (575) Colorado Aug 9, 2003

Tivoli is all malt. Andechs is the main strain for all lager production at Prost.

26. Prospero

Prospero Advocate (675) Colorado Jul 27, 2010

Tolann likes this.
  27. SalukiAlum

28. Mebuzzard

Early bird gets the beer

29. SalukiAlum

My style!

30. dauss

It's supposed to be a coffee house in the morning hours. With their currently posted hours, they'll be open 100 hours a week, which is by far the most amount of hours than any other brewery.

Tolann likes this.
  31. I like the option of going early if I want. Wish more places catered to my drinking.

SalukiAlum and joshclauss like this.
  32. joshclauss

joshclauss Savant (305) Colorado Oct 31, 2010

Every brewery finding its niche in the market...

33. Mebuzzard

Butcherknife Brewing was at the Bluegrass and Brews fest in Dillon. Nice people, solid beer. Not quite open yet in Steamboat

34. dauss

Still hopeful that Starbucks will serve beer, wine and small plates in the CO market.

Tolann likes this.

35. Agree. Unfortunately, most people don't know good beer.

There are just way too many mediocre breweries in the Denver area. Makes it difficult to find the good stuff. I'll take quality over quantity any day of the week.

Beerandraiderfan likes this.
  36. SalukiAlum

I'll take quality and quantity! Went to a fairly newer local brewery the other day for the second and last time and didn't find one beer I enjoyed! But I did see a decent crowd that was the opposite of me. One, everyone has different tastes and two, these same people are probably ex macro beer drinkers! So the more craft brew drinkers the better and great to see so many supporting LOCAL craft brew! Like we mentioned above they will be weeded out if not popular and keep in mind many times it could be atmosphere and location too. Many restaurants I can think of that the food sucks but they have the above so they stay busy, to each their own. I know what I like and that's what is important and I'm glad to see the craft brew growth no matter what! I will typically visit a brewery when they open and if I don't like, I give them a chance to mature, and some haven't and I simply won't be returning.

37. Domingo

I have no problem with places making stuff I don't like - just as long as they aren't loaded with off flavors and technical issues.
    An easy example is that I think the Gubna is the spawn of Satan...but there's nothing technically wrong with it.
    My red flags are beers laden with diacetyl, acetaldehyde, DMS, inappropriate phenols, etc.
    I'll take a place making good versions of common styles over hit-or-miss lemon pepper saffron imperial white IPA's every time.

hopfenunmaltz and SalukiAlum like this.
  38. Mebuzzard

BBBBabs likes this.
  39. coreymcafee

coreymcafee Savant (350) Colorado May 30, 2006

Wow, does that mean that Golden City will now be the 5th largest brewery in Golden???