1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

New Colorado Breweries

Discussion in 'US - Mountain' started by caboose9, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Poobah (1,030) Colorado May 19, 2005

I think the Toad will still be smaller. Maybe GCB can be the 2nd oldest?

rob2654 and coreymcafee like this.
  2. bfields4

bfields4 Savant (370) Colorado Dec 11, 2007

3. Mebuzzard

4. bfields4

bfields4 Savant (370) Colorado Dec 11, 2007

Can't wait, I'm moving to that side of town.. Black Shirt, Crooked Stave, River North.. & I'm still holding out hope for OMF

5. dauss

dauss Advocate (575) Colorado Aug 9, 2003

6. SuperWhite92

SuperWhite92 Savant (305) Colorado Dec 21, 2005

We'll (I'm the brewer at Barrels and Bottles) be the smallest brewery in Golden. Good space, small brewhouse. We've also got a handful of guest taps, lots of wine, and a small kitchen.

kojevergas and BBBBabs like this.
  7. Prospero

Prospero Advocate (665) Colorado Jul 27, 2010

http://www.craftbeer.com/brewers_banter/epic-brews-in-denver

More on Epic.

8. July is in 2 days.

9. drumrboy22

drumrboy22 Savant (470) Colorado Jul 22, 2005

Prospero likes this.
  10. Mebuzzard

Declaration Brewing Company – Denver, CO June 28, 2013

Declaration Brewing Company is excited to announce our inaugural location at 2030 South Cherokee St. in Denver, Colorado. Just North of Evans between Broadway and Sante Fe, the spacious beer garden and tap room are slated for opening in early 2014. Like us on Facebook for regular updates or email [email protected] while our website is under construction.

joshclauss, Domingo and dauss like this.
  11. FarmerTed

FarmerTed Savant (310) Colorado May 31, 2011

I had the wit beer tonight, and got to sample the saison, and I was pretty happy. I really liked the wit beer. The pizza is pretty good, too. I think they have the makings of a solid identity/business model that will work.

SalukiAlum likes this.
  12. Jasonrm72

Jasonrm72 Savant (390) Colorado Apr 29, 2012

I tried it at FR and I liked it. I'm not a big IPA fan, but that one did it for me.
    Hops and Pie had it as well last night.

13. Saw another brewery in Boulder opened a week or so ago. Kettle and Stone, off of 71st in the tech area/Gunbarrel. Haven't been there; hell, this one was definitely under the radar!

14. Mebuzzard

15. beatenbyjacks

beatenbyjacks Savant (385) Colorado Apr 17, 2011

Cannot wait for them to open and make Colorado Only beers. Great idea and looking forward to some great beers.

16. beatenbyjacks

17. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

I got a chance to try their original batches at their tasting preview a few months ago. They were all good, and pretty unique. I've also seen them around at several different tasting rooms like Wit's End and TRVE, so they know the scene pretty well, too. It seems like they're planning their approach very carefully, so I think they'll end up doing very well.

beatenbyjacks likes this.
  18. Jasonrm72

Jasonrm72 Savant (390) Colorado Apr 29, 2012

Just came across Jagged Mountain Brewery. They just got a spot at 20th and Lawrence right near Coors field and have started construction.
    Apparently one of the brewers previously worked at Bells and Kuhnhenn , home of Solar Eclipse, a 18+% Imp stout that was off the charts delicious.
    Their focus will be high ABV beers, with a smattering of more low key beers for variety.

They also have a kickstarter campaign going.

https://www.facebook.com/JaggedMountain

West World Article

Kickstarter

19. ucsbmullet

ucsbmullet Savant (485) Colorado Oct 5, 2011

Red Leg Brewing opened on the 4th in Colorado Springs. It's about 3/4 mile from Trinity off same I-25 exit.

http://redlegbrewingco.com/

20. MarkyMOD

MarkyMOD Advocate (660) Colorado Apr 5, 2012

Wonderland Brewing in Broomfield

Business partners are a designer who's worked for breweries and Disney and race car driver. There's going to be a ping pong hall, basketball and volleyball courts and will host large events (car shows, farmer's markets, etc.) and a few other things that I've forgotten since reading the newspaper article. Their brewer is formerly of FCB and Wynkoop and they are trying to partner with a bistro for food and hope to be open by the end of 2013...
    Sounds frickin awesome.

21. alexipa

alexipa Savant (420) Colorado Oct 7, 2011

Yes. Yes yes yes. I'll be there constantly, can't wait.

Anybody else getting overwhelmed by how many new breweries are springing up? It's more than usual.

denver10, PDawson and Mebuzzard like this.
  22. Mebuzzard

My brain farts everyday

SFACRKnight and alexipa like this.
  23. Until I can walk to 1 from my house, there is not enough. Can't walk to even one right now (closest is 8 miles away).

24. Oxymoron

Oxymoron Advocate (670) Colorado Aug 14, 2005

25. Prospero

On the other hand, I can walk/bike to about 13-14... you live in Pueblo or something?

26. rob2654

rob2654 Aficionado (205) Colorado May 20, 2004

I made a quick stop in at The Brewery on Broadway (The BoB) on Sunday, one day after their opening.

They had 4 English styles on tap - a Mild, an ESB, a Pale and an IPA. All were good and my favorites of the four were the ESB and the IPA. None of the beers were knock you off your stool great, but they were certainly well made. They plan to have a stout in about a week and a double IPA in about two weeks. The indoor space is very nice and has garage doors that open to a good-size outdoor patio. I don't make it that far south too often, but I will make a point to stop there if I am in the area. I did not sample any of their coffee drinks.

*Disclaimer: I "know" the owners in that I met them several years ago and have run into them at various beer festivals. They are very nice people, FWIW.

Jasonrm72 and Domingo like this.

27. Kansas (aka, far southeast aurora)

28. Steve_0

Steve_0 Savant (275) Colorado Mar 14, 2012

Shamrock is only 10 min away from almost anywhere in the city, lol.

29. Todd

Todd Founder (1,440) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

Ah. I was wondering who was going in there. Walked by the spot when I was apartment hunting last month after one of the property managers showed us some units and mentioned that a brewery was going in next door. Opted for another location, but it would have been cool to live downstairs from a brewery. Good news: I'll still be within walking distance anyway.

Jasonrm72 likes this.
  30. poonamibaxter

poonamibaxter Savant (315) Colorado Jun 26, 2007

Hit it up tonight and got an ipa, not good at all. Tasted like an extract home brew. No hop presence, mouth feel is heavy and the beer is flat. It's a cool space and just a few miles north of me so I want them to do well but this beer just ain't gonna get it. I'll give em another try in a month or so.

Note to anyone else opening a brewery, instead of making 4-6 bad beers make just one good beer. Perfect it and be able to replicate it before you add brews.

alexipa and coreymcafee like this.
  31. dauss

But, but, he's been home brewing for 29 years.

drumrboy22 likes this.
  32. HRCam

HRCam Aficionado (115) Colorado Oct 14, 2008

I talked to the brewer there, at the BoB, on the opening day and he told me they had an issue with hops getting burnt in a pipe under the kettle and clogging. Their direct fire system was shoddily made. They have since addressed the issue and are re brewing a lot of their beers. Tasted one out of the fermentor and it was much better than the one I had in a glass. Hopefully they will have all the issues resolved soon because the space is quite nice.

33. Steve_0

Steve_0 Savant (275) Colorado Mar 14, 2012

So he knowingly put out bad beer?

34. SuperWhite92

SuperWhite92 Savant (305) Colorado Dec 21, 2005

Sounds like it. It sucks that a lot of new guys aren't willing to pitch the bad batches.

35. dauss

That is despicable.

alexipa and drumrboy22 like this.
  36. Mebuzzard

37. dauss

38. Prospero

ATTN New Breweries: <--- architect/homebrewer willing to work for beer

39. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

Coda's pretty close to me and not too far from Caution either. That could be a pretty nice double-stop for people who don't make it over this way very much.

40. beatenbyjacks

I am glad I am not the only one that thought this. The setup is really nice and the location is great. However I could barely put down any of the 4 tasters and my buddy choked through half of the IPA. Really hope they can turn things around. Will return once the stouts/ porters are available.