New England Brewing Co. exiting MA, for now

Discussion in 'US - New England' started by EDNOSE, Jul 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EDNOSE

EDNOSE Savant (280) Connecticut Oct 27, 2007

Posted on their facebook page today.

"to deal with growing pains in home market".

Selfishly as a CT guy, this makes me happy to see them get one area right first but I feel for the MA folks among us.

jaxon53 likes this.
  2. bootdown21

bootdown21 Savant (445) Connecticut May 14, 2009

Here is the full transcript via Facebook.

Kyle Frenetteposted toNew England Brewing Co.

5 hours ago near Boston, MA
    soooo, my trusty bottle shop just sent me an email that "New England Brewing Co...is pulling out of the Massachusetts market indefinitely". say it aint so!

New England Brewing Co. There will be an unfortunate hiatus for distribution of our beers in mass so that we can better deal with some of our growing pains in our home market. We hope to have our beers back in mass early next year though.

3. stinks but a hiatus i can deal with. when i originally read your thread title i didn't process the 'for now' part.. and that had me a little more bummed out

4. No! Sea Hag has been one of my standbys lately. I know they say they'll be coming back early next year, but that's 5 months away at the earliest and makes me nervous. All the more reason to visit the in-laws in Connecticut, though.

5. hmm, maybe they should change their name to Connecticut Brewing Company.

6. Sucks. Time to drive to CT sometimes I guess. MA only? Still going to RI?

7. cavedave

cavedave Poobah (1,035) New York Mar 12, 2009

Rats, I was hoping that NEBCO would eventually start distributing around here, just get to try it after trips to Conn. Can't say I blame you Conn. folks for drinking the tanks dry, though.

8. davey101

davey101 Initiate (0) Connecticut Apr 14, 2009

Given the size of the brewery I was amazed they could even distribute outside of the new haven area. Sucks, but a wise decision for now.

opwog likes this.
  9. I'm totally fine with this. We rarely got much of anything other than Sea Hag or Elm City cans anyway. Get your home market in order first, expand later when you can start rolling a decent amount of Gandhi Bot out.

10. I'm kind of surprised they didn't do this sooner; I hang out at the brewery pretty frequently, and all they've been talking about for months now is how stressed out they are about not being able to fill orders, particularly in MA. Apparently Julio's alone would ask the distributor for more Gandhi-Bot than they could brew in an entire batch, and then of course Sea Hag has been absolutely blowing up (for good reason) here in New Haven.

Hopefully they'll soon be able to put in a canning line (finally!), and then some new tanks. If they don't move into a bigger space, though (which they're on the fence about doing - tough to secure financing for that sort of thing), there's just no way that they'll be able to keep up with in-state demand.

Oh, the problems that appear when you brew delicious beer!

11. dennho

dennho Savant (365) New York Oct 29, 2006

I just asked my beer store to get me a 1/6 of the Bot. I guess I won't be getting it.

12. smutty33

smutty33 Advocate (695) Connecticut Jun 12, 2009

Its ok MA. residents,NEBCo. will be back.

In the meantime, if you don't wanna make a trip into CT. I can send ya NEBCo. treats
    in exchange for some Firestone Walker,Jacks Abby,Maine Brew. Co. ect.......;)

Cheers All.........

13. Interesting news... Luckily I have a brother in CT.

14. NEBCo stuff was ridiculously hard for us to get as it was (my guess is that the larger stores were buying it all and there wasn't any left for us) so in a sense this won't affect my shop all that much. I will definitely miss the sporadic Ghandi Bot case that we were able to get our hands on though.

15. Must rely on friends in CT now!

16. Yeah - FW is having their own issues getting beer into MA as of late...

17. smutty33

smutty33 Advocate (695) Connecticut Jun 12, 2009

Yeah,I have been monitoring that one...I want some Parabola....lol. and wookey jack !

Cheers

18. Should be in Mass stores today or tomorrow.

19. I can get FW and Maine Beer regularly. Let me know if you want to trade/Bottleshare.

smutty33 likes this.
  20. Sadness. I was starting to love Sea Hag.

Massbmx, smutty33 and FrankLloydMike like this.
  21. Pahn

Pahn Advocate (715) New York Dec 2, 2009

if you trade, put up "ISO: sea hag source, FT: hoponius union source" or "repeat" or whatever. i'd do it if i weren't a cheapskate and didn't often travel to boston.

22. dennho

dennho Savant (365) New York Oct 29, 2006

A couple of cases of 668 on the shelves at Julios.

23. No more sea hag ipa in my store and only four 4 packs of 668 mark of the beast left :(

24. Whatevs - plenty of beer on MA shelves that's actually dated.

25. Yeah I just took a chance of a sixer of sea hag because I hadn't tried it and heard good things. Blaaaaand. I assume it was very old.

26. I admit this is selfish, but for once it's cool to see RI with an awesome brewery that MA can't get. It's the other way around for soooo many. Still, I hope NEBCO finds itself back in MA fairly soon. I feel for you guys. It's been 3 years and we still have customers complaining about DFH pulling out of RI (it's a shame they dont have the same feelings towards the others that have left like Left Hand, Great Divide, etc.) We can relate though. Good luck Massachusetts. I'm sure you'll still manage to get your hands on some NEBCO. :)

27. Dat

Dat Savant (340) Texas Aug 5, 2007

One of my first and favorite IPAs is Great Divide's Titan IPA. I also enjoy Left Hand's Milk Stout and never even knew they stopped distributing to RI. Guess I was spoiled for the longest time after moving here from Austin, TX.

28. Left Hand was one of the latest, they stopped distribution here around June. I hate to see all of these great breweries pulling out of RI. There's still plenty left, but it's always a shame to watch another pull out.

29. Errto

Errto Savant (305) Connecticut Oct 20, 2009

I live four miles from the brewery and can't find NEBCo's specialty beers with much regularity. I'm glad they're doing so well, but they need a chance to ramp up production (assuming that's the plan); they're just too small right now. MA's a big-ass market (relatively speaking).

30. I strangely stumbled upon a bunch of 4 packs of Gandhi in RI. They hadn't been out at the store a week before, so they may have been fresh. Do they distribute to RI? I can't tell from their site.... Regardless, I've still got one left and it's way better than I expected

31. Yeah they distribute to RI. We have the 668, Gandhi-Bot, and Elm City in stock at my store in Barrington. We are trying to get our hands on some more Sea Hag. We've only been open for about 4 months now, so some of the highly sought after beer slips under the radar. Still have about (9) 4-packs of Gandhi-Bot.

Psychmusic likes this.
  32. Well there goes my sympathy for anyone feeling sorry that they can't have any in Mass

33. This is actually kind of a relief as a CT beer drinker. When Gandhi Bot gets up to Hartford County it is off the shelves in days, if not sooner. But I am not THAT selfish. I hope they can comfortably distribute to more states soon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.