New England Brewing Co lookout thread

Discussion in 'US - New England' started by DrWangerBanger, Oct 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gmr75

Gmr75 Savant (385) Connecticut Apr 30, 2002

Agreed! I have a lb. in my freezer for upcoming brewdays. However, It doesn't remind me very much of Citra. It seems a lot of new hop varietals get described as having Citra characteristics... The Belma hop i've seen desc. as "Citra light" which is silly to me after brewing with it a couple times. It's more like a NZ hop, with lots of strawberry and melon notes, and very soft bitterness when used as an early kettle addition.

Anyway, I'm rambling - psyched to try the NEBCO Mosaic beer today.

smutty33 likes this.
  2. Works for me.

3. Knifestyles

Knifestyles Savant (455) New York Jun 7, 2005

So who's there already? Fess up!!!

sandman3479 likes this.
  4. Sadly at desk in Brookfield for 2.5 more hours...

5. Unfortunately at my desk until 5:30, but will be heading down afterwards

sandman3479 likes this.
  6. I'll be there around 4 or 4:30. Unfortunately I think I'll have to leave before BA IST and Cherry Vanilla, but I guess Fuzzy Baby Ducks will have to keep me happy. #beergeekproblems

7. Errto

Errto Savant (305) Connecticut Oct 20, 2009

Headed over for lunch (and Gold Stock) in a few minutes. Will be back in the late afternoon, but I'll be lucky to beat the rush - too much work to do :(

8. xanok

xanok Savant (415) Connecticut Aug 13, 2009

Here now. Coffee IST has to be one of the best things known to mankind.

9. . BM me to find out what else I got.
    Half that left now. Price is down to 7.99. Picked up 3. Bev max had a couple of other surprises not on the floor

10. None of these are available for growler fills, are they?

11. polishkaz

polishkaz Savant (455) Connecticut May 30, 2011

Damn, totally forgot about the prime event. I just drove down and past New Haven to Brandford and then back to Meriden. Pretty bummed that I'm gonna miss out on that cask of FBD.

12. xanok

(posting at the bar)

More than disappointed with Prime 16 tonight. Ordered two Cherry Vanilla Stout Troopers right at 9 and the waitress came back 20 minutes later saying it was gone.

13. Wow, that is a damn shame. Sorry to hear that. Maybe better off going to the source in the next couple days. Did they at least have Fuzzy Babies on tap?

14. So how was it fellas?

15. xanok

Yes. Had two glasses.

16. Casks are amazing

17. I could think of worse Tuesday nights. Like the one I am having in my office right now.

woosterbill likes this.
  18. holy shit Mosaic was good. Coffee IST in a bottle would be the dopest. Carbonation FTW.

tehzachatak likes this.
  19. want to try Mosaic so bad. hope we get a rebrew!!

20. smutty33

smutty33 Advocate (650) Connecticut Jun 12, 2009

quote="xanok, post: 898440, member: 359675"](posting at the bar)

More than disappointed with Prime 16 tonight. Ordered two Cherry Vanilla Stout Troopers right at 9 and the waitress came back 20 minutes later saying it was gone.[/quote]
    I'm afraid the same thing happened to me my friend.Total Bummer.
    Cheers

21. Same thing with me! My friends and I had a table and asked our waitress to put in the order at about 8:45. She kind of ignored us until around 9:15. We finally flagged her down and she told us it was gone. Pretty solid night otherwise. Barrel aged IST was great.

22. Sorry to hear people missed out on CVIST. I got a pour, sitting at the bar, but I don't think it was as good as Coffee IST, BA IST, FBD, Mosaic, or Gold Stock. Regardless of whether one got a pour of every single thing, it was a terrific evening filled with terrific brews.

Cheers to NEBCO!

seplo and averagjoe3 like this.
  23. RMoeNay

RMoeNay Advocate (515) Connecticut Sep 22, 2010

I asked last week and they said it will be brewed again and the prime 16 batch was just a test batch.

tehzachatak likes this.
  24. That Gold Stock was really remarkable. Coffee and the Dry Hopped Baby Ducks were great, but Gold Stock was probably my favorite. (Granted, I had to leave before Mosaic and BA IST.) They've outdone themselves this year.

Pahn, hogansct and woosterbill like this.
  25. Busker

Busker Savant (325) Connecticut Apr 17, 2008

depending on the beer it could cost between $12 (Sea Hag) - $20 (Wet Willy)...I think Ghandi was $15

26. xanok

It sounds silly to be upset at such petty things, but it is the beer I look forward to the most at this event. I figured by the time CVIST would be tapped, I would be done with dinner, not just starting. The 60-90 minute wait time I was told for a table ended up being over two hours. There was never an issue ordering this beer from a table in the past, so it wasn't even something that had crossed my mind.

Lemme add that I think for the most part, Prime 16 handled the crowd extremely well. The bartenders were all very attentive, and I don't think I had to wait more than two or three minutes for a beer. I think staggering the special releases is the right way to approach this event from here on out.

27. pjs234

pjs234 Advocate (670) Connecticut Jun 29, 2008

Yeah, staggering the releases sounds better than last year, where 80% of the product was released at 8pm (if i remember correctly). I actually avoided the event this year, due to the crowd and inability to order a beer in a timely manner last year. But from reading through the posts, it seems like hanging out in the bar is the way to do this event, as there were similar stories about table service being too slow this year. In the end, I wish I went this year. Oh well, maybe next year.

28. EDNOSE

EDNOSE Savant (255) Connecticut Oct 27, 2007

Hanging at the bar worked out just fine at last year's event. We got lucky and had seats the whole time and while it was hectic in the bar, I couldn't see how the tables would be getting hooked up as well as the folks in the bar.

29. Timmush

Timmush Savant (330) New Jersey Jan 5, 2008

Is the Brewery open at 11 on Fridays? I'm headed by next Friday on my way up to Notb

30. Yes but I'm not sure if fbd will be ready at 11.

31. NJOssie

NJOssie Savant (265) New Jersey Feb 28, 2012

anticipate and FBD left for growler fills for Friday?

32. bootdown21

bootdown21 Savant (425) Connecticut May 14, 2009

33. NJOssie

NJOssie Savant (265) New Jersey Feb 28, 2012

sweet... thanks!

34. Anyone have any idea if there'll still be Gold Stock this weekend?

35. It was already kicked by the time they posted they were tapping it on FB!

36. Pahn

Pahn Advocate (705) New York Dec 2, 2009

so, how'd mosaic compare to FBD and coriolis?

i swear NEBCO is up there with hill farmstead in terms of hoppy pale ales.

---

glad to hear this year's gold stock is good. are growlers of that on at the brewery? i'll be going through NH tomorrow, debating a growler of gold stock vs a stop at prime 16 to pick up scraps.

edit: as i wrote in a random thread, fresh (like day or two out of the brewery fresh) gold stock is a top 3 beer for me, which isn't something i say lightly (silly as it may be not to say such things lightly).

woosterbill likes this.
  37. Mosaic was amazing. I didn't try it side-by-side with FBD, but my subjective impression was that it was slightly better - a bit more depth and complexity to the hops, instead of the straightforward Citra onslaught that is FBD. I loved it.

My top NEBCO beers of the night were Gold Stock>Coffee IST>Mosaic>CVIST>DDHFBD.

Gold Stock is just do damn good.

seplo and Pahn like this.
  38. I had to depart before Cherry Vanilla, however I agree with this assessment of the nights offerings. Also, Tilquin Gueze on draft was very solid. Thanks to Prime16 and NEBCO for a GREAT evening!

woosterbill likes this.
  39. Errto

Errto Savant (305) Connecticut Oct 20, 2009

Not gonna lie, the disbursement of the Cherry Vanilla IST was kind of a crazy scene, especially with whatever that technical difficulty was. I considered myself lucky to get a pour, even having been at the bar ordering a reasonably steady stream of beers at that point.

I agree though that in the end that was probably not my favorite beer of the night. The Coffee IST I did not expect to like but was completely amazed by - and it lasted several hours too. Likewise the barrel aged IST. Gold Stock is as good as ever, and I'm sorry to say I missed FBD and Mosaic entirely. Mosaic apparently kicked in seven minutes.

seplo and smutty33 like this.
  40. xanok

So I heard about Mosaic, but as far as I know, FBD lasted quite some time. I had two glasses and Miss Xanok had three.
    The main reason Coffee IST lasted so long as that it was tapped before it got crowded.

smutty33 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.