1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

New England Brewing Co lookout thread

Discussion in 'US - New England' started by DrWangerBanger, Oct 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NJOssie

NJOssie Savant (265) New Jersey Feb 28, 2012

no bottle sales at the brewery?
  2. alexgash

alexgash Advocate (580) Connecticut Jun 18, 2003

Stopped by just before noon today and they said I got the first growler of this year's batch :). Will be trying it in the next week for sure. Also picked up a fresh growler of bot :).
    NJOssie likes this.
  3. xanok

xanok Savant (395) Connecticut Aug 13, 2009

In previous years they have sold the bottles at the brewery.
  4. NJOssie

NJOssie Savant (265) New Jersey Feb 28, 2012

that's what I'm hoping is the case this year as well
  5. NEBCO commented on the their own Facebook post from earlier: "IST should be in stores Thursday/ Friday"

That is a pretty quick turn around if they will finish up bottling tomorrow.
    TWStandley and NJOssie like this.
  6. Just got a couple growler fills. They had the whole crew bottling, said should be hitting shelves this week.
    NJOssie likes this.
  7. any info on them selling AT nebco?
  8. Yes on bottle sales. IST will be available tomorrow. Coming in 500ml this year, so by my math, you're getting about 30% more per $.

Some made it on the truck today, so should be in stores soon also.

BAIST unsure, Fri maybe.
    phorestfreak, NJOssie and Pahn like this.
  9. Hell yea on the 500 mLs.
    Pahn likes this.
  10. Gandhi back in cans in stores outside of New Haven when? I'll be traveling through Manchester to New London the first week of Jan...
  11. Did they say something about price? IST has been in 750 mL bottles for the past 3 years or so. If the price is staying the same as the 750 mL but decreasing in volume to 500 mL the $/volume is going to be higher this year.

Smaller bottles are awesome for IST so I don't mind the switch. Easier to drink if your not splitting the bottle and more bottles to go around.
  12. I haven't heard anything specific, but knowing the guys there I can say that I would be SHOCKED if the smaller bottles this year didn't prompt a proportional price cut. IST has become their most overpriced beer over the last few years, but that's only because stores have become aware of the hype and jack up their prices accordingly. 750s generally sold for around $16, despite an MSRP of $12. I would guess that 500s will have an MSRP around $8 - but will probably retail for closer to $10.
    smutty33 likes this.
  13. i think ill head down today after lunch
  14. cbanker

cbanker Savant (265) California Jul 31, 2005

Anyone know anything about holiday hours for NEBCO? I wanted to make it there last year, but no one was answering the phone on the days I had free between xmas and new years.
  15. Friendly and helpful guy who answered the phone at NEBCO said MSRP was $6.99, just so everyone knows.
    NJOssie likes this.
  16. McNeill's is on shelves now
  17. Knifestyles

Knifestyles Savant (445) New York Jun 7, 2005

Huh?

Trying to figure out how this is related to NEBCo.....
  18. Disregard, I done fucked up
  19. They close at 4 on Monday.
    naloxone likes this.
  20. Yes, it is 6.99 for the 500ml.

They are aiming to have all their special releases for $6.99/500ml. They are hoping this will help reduce the number of stores selling it for a 80%+ premium over MSRP. (excepting the BA IST is coming in 375ml. I know the price is higher on this but I don't know the amount with enough certainty to share.)
  21. cbanker

cbanker Savant (265) California Jul 31, 2005

Will they be open regular hours Weds-Sat?
  22. I grabbed what I think were the last 2 they had at the brewery and he only charged me $12, what a fucking awesome brewery
    smutty33 likes this.
  23. got a few today, going back tomorrow for more
  24. Timmush

Timmush Savant (330) New Jersey Jan 5, 2008

Just wondering their hours on Friday and what can be purchased at the brewery tomorrow? IST? B.A. IST? Gandhi? I am planning my trip up to RI and trying to figure out do I go up route 84 to a store up there or take the Merritt and stop by the brewery.
    Thanks.
  25. sepia5

sepia5 Disciple (65) Virginia Jul 26, 2008

I stopped by The Wine Thief on Whitney Ave. in New Haven tonight and they are selling the 500 ml bottles for $15. What's worse, they are blaming NEBCO for this ridiculous price, claiming that they made the decision to bottle smaller and charge the same price as last year.
  26. I'll be there on Saturday with a few buddies to get a bunch of growlers filled. Hoping bottles of both the regular and BAd versions are available.

Anyone gonna be by? I'm wondering if I should bring anything to open up.
  27. Is there any idea when?
  28. xanok

xanok Savant (395) Connecticut Aug 13, 2009

Where are you getting the MSRP of $12 from? They sold it for $12 out of the brewery in previous years, which would mean the middle men need a cut of it once it hits stores, which explains the $16-ish price I see at most liquor stores.
  29. They told me they're waiting on the labels, expecting it to be a couple weeks
    GuisseppeFranco and averagjoe3 like this.
  30. I got the $12 figure directly from the brewers' mouths.

They sell stuff at the brewery for exactly how much they expect it to cost at retail, so as not to undercut the stores that register 90%+ of their total sales. They didn't get anywhere near $12/bottle for what they sent into distribution.
    smutty33 and phorestfreak like this.
  31. I stopped by around 5:30 yesterday and Matt said they were sold out of bottles they could sell at the brewery. The rest were spoken for I guess?
  32. dang. oh well.

glad i got my allotment then
  33. Do they still have it on growler fill?
  34. I was just there this morning. They had Hag, Bot, and Trooper on the taps. Bottles of IST and Wet Willy available on the counter, so at least a dozen of each is still available. Didn't inquire if/how much was still available besides that.

Fingers crossed they get the BA labels today so they can start selling.

35. They'll be there til 6p today. See post above for availability
  36. Let the price gouging begin!

Found $15 bottles at a store. They tried to say that NEBCO decreased bottle size and kept the price the same. I told them that they sold them at the brewery for $6 and they seemed shocked. They claimed that they paid $12 per bottle from the distributor. I passed on buying any.

Amity also just posted $15.99 a bottle with a 2 bottle limit.

It's not like I expect stores to sell it at the NEBCO price of $6, but something in the $8-10 would seem reasonable. This is pretty absurd.
  37. Ugh. Guess I'm not buying any this year unless I make it to the brewery and they happen to have some. What a fucking shame. Way to support one of the best breweries in New Engalnd.
  38. Damn, Matt hosed me
  39. Just saw the Amity facebook post, absolutely shameful price gouging.

edit: they just posted saying it was an invoicing error and that they're going to repost with the real price

$7.99 a bottle, that's better
    averagjoe3 and phorestfreak like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.