New England Brewing Co Newbie

Discussion in 'New England' started by CraftFan5, Dec 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CraftFan5

CraftFan5 Pooh-Bah (2,190) May 14, 2013 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Greetings CT!

I live in the Bronx and I have family in Stamford, CT, but due to family and work constraints I never get to shop for beer in CT. I anticipate that that might change some in the next few months.

I tried looking up some stores in the SW CT area, but it doesn't look like there's anything particularly terrific. I wanted to know which stores I should seek out to find good NEBCO beers, like Stout Trooper, Gandhi-Bot, and hopefully even some of the rarer ones like 668. I also have no idea what time of year these beers are available. If I'm going to make the rare trip I don't want to waste my time.

Thanks everyone!

2. concealed

concealed Initiate (0) May 7, 2009 Georgia

Ghandi is hit or miss, the put out shipments regularly but they get bought up quickly. Stout Trooper is a once annual release and should be coming out in early 2014. Regular 668 is put out at least as regularly as Ghandi and is not bought up as quickly. Check some of the big box stores, like Total Wine in Norwalk, right off the Merritt. Maybe a few other places. If you have time, just drive all the way up to New Haven and get it from the source.

3. AaronF

AaronF Initiate (0) Jun 23, 2012 Connecticut

I have also started to see 668 at the DeCicco's stores in Brewster and Ardsley if you can get there so there may also be some other places in Westchester with 668. 668 tends to be much easier to come by than Gandhi.

4. EDNOSE

EDNOSE Pundit (952) Oct 27, 2007 Connecticut

668 Definitely hits Westchester County ... I've seen at DeCicco's and Vista Beer and Beverage.

Total Wine (suggested above) never has anything but Sea Hag and Elm City Pilsner (both are excellent beers but not what OP said he was looking for).

In SW CT ... you need to hunt and peck although 668 does not move all that quickly so you should be able to find it. Fairway and Bev Max in Stamford are decent choices to try.

5. jdauria

jdauria Initiate (0) Sep 15, 2010 Massachusetts

Looks like, per their Facebook page, that they are in the process of moving the brewery to a new location so check to make sure the new location is open before making a trip all the way to New Haven.

6. threephase

threephase Initiate (0) Mar 21, 2013 Connecticut

Last day for Growlers at the old brewery was this past Saturday, opening at the new place is a date TBA. Ghandi is going to be very difficult to find. I think the last batch went out a few weeks ago and once it hits shelves it doesn't tend to last more than maybe 2 weeks if your lucky; probably won't be another batch out until probably middle/late january. 668 should be pretty easy to find, sea hag is a great beer, you may find some premeditated murder around and I have even seen a couple dusty bottles of friars quad around in a liquor store in Stratford (not that close to stamford though). Imperial stout trooper should be coming soon as well, I suspect that will be the last beer that comes out of the old brewery.

7. CraftFan5

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

So basically I should probably be able to get 668 fairly easily, and not so much luck with Gandhi. Stout Trooper would be my No. 1 find, but I guess I'll check back here to find out when it's released.

A couple more Qs:

I'll be spending about a week and a half in the Norwalk area in April. Anything special I should look for? I'll obviously hit the Total Wine there.
    When Stout Trooper is released, does it hit the whole state, or only near the brewery?
    What about 668 Chardonnay? Is that a special release, or is it annual?

8. Bizoneill

Bizoneill Initiate (0) Apr 19, 2012 Connecticut

Stout trooper usually ships to all parts of the state. Chardonneighbor is a brewery only release and that came out over the summer.

9. EDNOSE

EDNOSE Pundit (952) Oct 27, 2007 Connecticut

Stout Trooper is usually all over and you can generally find some stores where it sits for a while.

Norwalk - 99 Bottles for a beer shop, Gingerman for beer bar

ufmj likes this.
  10. woosterbill

woosterbill Pooh-Bah (2,733) Apr 6, 2009 Kentucky
    Pooh-Bah

You should definitely come up to check out the new brewery when it opens; I talked to Matt (the head brewer) today, and he said they'd be pulling out a few vintage kegs for the grand opening.

I also stopped by Amity, and they had plenty of Hag, Pilsner, and 668.

11. CraftFan5

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Thanks everybody.

I dropped by DeCicco's in Ardsley last night looking for Captain Lawrence Frost Monster. Got the 2nd to last 4-pack (a bit pricey at $14.99, but that is why I went). Also took home a Clown Feet Blaecorn Unidragon and a 668! I saw signs for the newly in stock 668, Sea Hag, and Gandhi-Bot, but they only had the 668.

I don't like to commit to a 6-pack, especially with little space in my Bronx apartment, but if I like the 668 then I'll head back for more.

Thanks again for all the info.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.