1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

New Glarus blacktop similar to Indeed Midnight Ryder?

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by dave43, Mar 29, 2014.

1. dave43

dave43 Aficionado (175) Minnesota Jan 29, 2007

Love me some blacktop but don't like the drive. Any similarities?

2. psychotia

psychotia Savant (375) Minnesota Jun 27, 2009

I did a side by side last year, and overall I found midnight Ryder to be more intense across the board... More piney hops, huge roast, thicker mouthfeel... It really made blacktop taste light and delicate.

I'd take either one any day.

3. jera1350

jera1350 Champion (750) Minnesota Dec 15, 2007

Personally like Midnight Ryder much more than Blacktop.

4. morimech

morimech Advocate (710) Minnesota Nov 6, 2006

Midnight Ryder>Blacktop.

5. hoeg0015

hoeg0015 Savant (340) Minnesota Jul 15, 2008

Try Lake Superior Deep Water Black IPA. Just showed up in the metro, I remember trying it last year and thinking it was pretty good. Not as dry as Midnight Ryder, but plenty meaty. I'm also reminded of the 3rd Street black IPA when I think about Blacktop.

6. morimech

Bitter Neighbor is pretty close to Blacktop.

7. dave43

Find it hard to believe that a contract brewer makes better beer then new glarus. I'm a little biased though.

Ejayz likes this.
  8. I like both beers a lot, but definately I give Blacktop the edge. It seems like Blacktop has a much better mouthfeel & a better balance between malt and hops. It is more of a black IPA. Midnight Ryder seems more like an overly hoppy & fairly roasty RIS that is a little rough around the edges. I also like that Midnight Ryder is a canned beer, but overall New Glarus makes a better black IPA.

9. Back in Black > Midnight Ryder

10. McRyan

McRyan Savant (255) Minnesota Jul 25, 2012

Gotta ride with Ryder on this one.

11. morimech

But you won't know unless you try it.

12. dave43

Tried it...pretty good but blacktop is on a different level. Need to try midnight Ryder.

morimech likes this.
  13. mjryan

mjryan Advocate (505) Minnesota Dec 22, 2007

3rd St does contract brew, but I'm not sure what that has to do with the quality of their own brands.

14. SipIt

SipIt Aficionado (205) Minnesota Jul 18, 2013

I like Midnight Ryder the most, but Bent Paddle's Black Ale might be another one for you to try?

15. wow, Elitist much? There is clearly a lot of brand bias on these boards, but this is much more open snobbery than I used to.

16. dave43

Contract brewer or not. I stand by what I said, 3rd street isn't in the same league as new glarus.