1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

New Glarus Moon Man - similar options?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by pitweasel, Jul 29, 2012.

1. pitweasel

pitweasel Advocate (545) New York Jun 11, 2007

First: I did not post this in the regional thread because I'm looking for beers that are available outside that area...please don't move me!

Now, the question: what's out in the other 47 continental US states that bears a striking resemblance to New Glarus Moon Man? I had the dumb luck of having a relative's coworker drive to WI and ask if I wanted anything, and I ended up with a sixer of that. I've got to say, it's easily in my top five now...I just love everything about this beer. But, with the exception of stopping in Green Bay on tour later this year, I won't have any access to it. Is there something that's more readily available to the rest of us that comes close?

I'm in PA right now, but will be spending the second half of August in Vegas, and the fall will be in the CA and general Midwest/Southwest region. What could I be looking for?

Zaphog likes this.
  2. Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is close and available everywhere and year round.

If you will be near Chicago, 3 Floyds Zombie Dust is actually better than Moon Man.

3. Moon Man is excellent i agree, do you get Dales Pale Ale ?that would be my choice or Tallgrass 8_Bit

4. Moon man is my absolute favorite Pale Ale. While Zombie Dust is great, I don't find it as refreshing as Moon Man. That quality is what puts it above the rest for me.

5. socon67

socon67 Advocate (660) New York Jun 18, 2010

Just was in Milwaukee on Thursday and got to try Moon Man. Really enjoyable beer. I found it to be similar to Sierra Nevada Pale, but not as dry a finish, which to me made Moon Man more enjoyable.

6. sleuthdog

sleuthdog Advocate (645) Illinois Oct 21, 2008

I find Pride & Joy Mild Ale to be very enjoyable and highly drinkable.

7. OldSchoolGamer

OldSchoolGamer Savant (250) Ohio Mar 11, 2009

I was lucky enough to get to try Moon Man when I bought it off eBay (cough, cough). Anyways, I really loved it. Somewhat of a grapefruity flavor. I think Zombie Dust (another eBay purchase) was even better though. It is unfiltered and just bursting with tropical flavors. To a lesser extent, Lagunitas New Dogtown Pale Ale is another solid option. Slightly more lemony than the other two, but overall similar in flavor.

8. Bitter_Echo

Bitter_Echo Savant (400) Michigan Apr 13, 2012

I'm at the early beginnings of a Moon Man just now, and I have to agree, it is a gem and one of my favorite PA's. I think if you can get it, there is some similarity in the flavor profile and mouthfeel of this offering and Founders All Day IPA which is a staple for me, especially in the summer. The grapefruit like citrus notes of All Day are more forward, and mono-dimensional in Founder's brew, the New Glarus Moon Man seems to have more hop complexity, and is maybe, just a bit less hop-forward. Both are highly sessionable.

9. Brau brothers Hoprsession super pale ale