1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

New Glarus Strawberry Rhubarb Beer

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by psychotia, May 30, 2013.

1. psychotia

psychotia Savant (375) Minnesota Jun 27, 2009

Breaking news! I was sorting through "junk" mail, and upon opening a local "ads-paper" (West Side Shopper) to scan for pertinent articles, stories, ads, I saw this:

"Calling all rhubarb!

Please bring your rhubarb to our 'BIG SQUEEZE' at the BBC, downtown New Glarus!

On Saturday, June 15, 11 am, we will be squeezing rhubarb for our new Strawberry Rhubarb beer during the second annual New Glarus Beer, Bacon, & Cheese. For every 5 pounds you bring, you will receive a token for free beer in the tent!

-New Glarus"

Wonderous! I love rhubarb beer!!
  2. That sounds too good to be true.
    BrownAleMale and claaark13 like this.
  3. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Ontario (Canada) Jul 24, 2012

My favorite things in a pie now in a beer?
    ISO!
    bertram and LazerBeast like this.
  4. burica2020

burica2020 Savant (400) Illinois Nov 17, 2009

am I the only one that just got an amazing summer home brew idea? Pale Strawberry Rhubarb Saison?
    mecummins, claaark13 and Michigan like this.
  5. StargazerC

StargazerC Aficionado (205) Indiana Apr 15, 2008

This sounds delicious.
    claaark13 likes this.
  6. sherm1016

sherm1016 Savant (385) Wisconsin Aug 10, 2009

Interesting. The only Rhubarb beer I've had was Zwanze 2012.

I'll be curious to see what comes of this. New Glarus is not known for doing one-off beers. A new Thumbprint perhaps?
    jRocco2021 likes this.
  7. stakem

stakem Champion (870) Pennsylvania Feb 20, 2009

Please God dont let it be a berliner. I was doing so good with my trading hiatus. A strawberry rhubarb berliner would be cause for trading again.
    Duff27, Etan and claaark13 like this.
  8. Changing topics slightly, but staying with New Glarus. I'm going to the brewery this weekend with a small group of friends. I've never been and we plan on spending as much time as possible there. Has anyone been recently and can give me a summary of what you remember them having in stock? Just wondering what kind of bottles I could buy outside of their year-round selections that I've had numerous times.
  9. sherm1016

Haven't been recently, but here's what should be in stock at the Beer Depot:
    • Spotted Cow
    • Moon Man
    • Two Women
    • Black Top
    • Rasp Tart
    • Serendipity
    • Totally Naked
    • Edel Pils
    • Dancing Man
    • Thumbprint Berliner Weisse
    • Anniversary Strong Ale
    They might have some of the spring seasonals (Cabin Fever, Snowshoe, Coffee Stout, Thumbprint IIPA, Thumbprint Winter Warmer) still in stock, but it would be hit or miss.
  10. JulianC

JulianC Savant (335) Illinois Mar 9, 2012

11. Exactly what I was thinking.
  12. thanks! will keep hope alive that there will be some awesome things to buy.
  13. JulianC

JulianC Savant (335) Illinois Mar 9, 2012

That's one of the things I don't like about going to NG. There is rarely anything special to buy, unless you time it to find a R&D release, and there's never anything you haven't heard of on tap. But I hear it's still well worth it to go, the town and brewery are beautiful and I hear the tour is awesome.
  14. I'm also hoping that, like most breweries, drinking directly from the source tastes better/fresher than buying bottles. If I can buy some Dancing Man and a couple other non-year round brews I'll be more than happy.
  15. My first thought was this will be a special release for the Great Taste weekend similar to Sour Ale last year, and asking people to bring their rhubarb from home would lead me to belive this will be a rather small batch. However, I hope your prognostication is correct and they release this as a Thumbprint.
  16. PlayaPlaya

PlayaPlaya Savant (275) Illinois Sep 19, 2012

Really?
    I've never heard of anything like this....

Is this even legal?
    As someone in the food industry, this does not seem like it could be legal. . . .Granted, the rhubarb won't be consumed raw, it will be put through a heavy process, that likely could kill lots of bacteria. . ..
    But, wheres the requirement to have a license, or if nothing else a ServSafe certification....

http://datcp.wi.gov/food/starting_a_food_business/
    http://datcp.wi.gov/uploads/Food/pdf/Food_Licensing_Info_for_Public_English.pdf

Whose to say I don't bring in some rhubarb that Joe Blow on the corner had in his nap sack for a month ??
    Or that somebody with a vendetta against NG doesn't purposely bring contaminated rhubarb ??
  17. mecummins

mecummins Savant (425) Illinois Nov 16, 2012

That sounds really good. Tart, crisp and a bit fruity. I wonder if they'll have it out by late summer?

My bosses will in New Glarus that day for a guys weekend. They're extremely excited about the beer, bacon and cheese fest. Less so about the rhubarb. :rolleyes:

18. Me thinks New Glarus knows what they are doing.
    SourAddict, YogiBeer and Duff27 like this.
  19. brystmar

brystmar Initiate (0) Texas Sep 2, 2009

ISO! I fucking LOVE rhubarb <3
  20. No way they are doing a thumbprint. If you are asking the public for one of the ingredients, it would be pretty hard to get enough to produce a thumbprint beer. The only way is if they skimp on the rhubarb in the beer.
  21. mecummins

mecummins Savant (425) Illinois Nov 16, 2012

I doubt that they are relying on the public for a majority of their rhubarb supply. It's probably just a clever way to get people to stop by their tent at the fest. It's certainly unique.
    jRocco2021 and BrownAleMale like this.
  22. Maybe they are just doing the rhubarb exchange as a fun thing to do with their customers and not so much for the fact that they need the rhubarb. They may easily be supplimenting what people bring with more that they buy themselves.

Edit: Yeah, what she said^^^^^^^
  23. sherm1016

Posted up on NG Facebook Page.

[​IMG]
  24. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (935) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

I so hope this is bottled, even if they are in the smaller R&D bottles like the 20th anv.
  25. sherm1016

I was thinking this could potentially be released to coincide with the GTMW, a la the Sour Ale release last year.

I have to believe it will be bottled in some fashion. Can anyone name a draft only offering from NG? I can't, but I guess there's a first for everything.
    jRocco2021 likes this.
  26. Was thinking this exact same thing...if NG can hit the same notes that Olvalde did that would be SWEET.
    JulianC likes this.
  27. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Savant (395) Wisconsin Mar 13, 2010

So glad I'm going to NG and GTMW again this year.
  28. hyroglyphk

hyroglyphk Zealot (95) Wisconsin Dec 19, 2011

29. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (845) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

I'll have to give this one a whirl when it comes out. Not sure I want stuff that I typically only have in pies, to be in my beer but who knows, this one will probably turn out to be awesome due to Dan's magic hands.
  30. Ri0

Considering all of his fruit beers are outstanding; I know I'm going to enjoy this!
    Stevedore likes this.
  31. Stevedore

I thought it was a vegetable, but apparently the State of New York calls it a fruit, lol (from wikipedia).

You learn something new each day!
  32. iadler

iadler Savant (415) Illinois Aug 12, 2009

Hell yes. I'm looking forward to this.
  33. Ri0

Okay, as having a horticulture minor... Rhubarb would technically be classified as a vegetable since it does not grow from a ripened ovary of a flowed plant, but is an edible part of the plant....

Who cares as I want the beer!
  34. Stevedore

Haha you were a horticulture minor? I gotta meet you and get the low down on whether a tomato is a fruit or vegetable and settle it once and for all. ;)
  35. Yeah, I like cherry pie, but I've never had a good cherry beer from Wisconsin.

Wait a second....
    Ri0 likes this.
  36. Stevedore

Naw I like eating cherries straight up. So that's not going to be something I eat only in pies.
  37. Ri0

Horticulture minor here...lol
    Many different variety of cherries and those found in pies are not normally cherries that you would eat straight up; much too sour. ;)
  38. Stevedore

lol fair enough.. I'll have to reserve judgment until I drink some of this brew!
  39. egrace84

egrace84 Advocate (725) Illinois Mar 25, 2012

This sounds re-donk! Does anyone here know when and what the next Thumbprint release is gonna be?
  40. sherm1016

July would be my guess. No further info on what it would be. I'd guess another rerun. Come on, Bohemian Lager!
    jRocco2021, Gonzoillini and egrace84 like this.