1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

New Glarus WI Belgian Red to be Temporarily Replaced by Serendipity?

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by yeahnatenelson, Sep 16, 2012.

1. I was at Discount Liquors in Milaukee yesterday when one of employees (manager?) overheard my friend and I talking about Enigma. After talking briefly he mentioned that they recently bought as much WI Belgian Red as they could because New Glarus was temporarily halting production due to the terrible WI cherry crop this year.

What will be replacing Belgian Red? Supposedly a beer called 'Serendipity' which will be brewed with cherry, cranberry, and apple and will come in the large format bottles.

Has ANYBODY heard anything about this?
  2. ABisonEgo

ABisonEgo Savant (290) Illinois Jan 31, 2012

i have not heard anything about serendipity but i know that the dristributor up here in milwaukee just got 270 cases of belgian red in. i talked to the buyer at the whole foods i work at and he said he hadnt heard anything. maybe those 270 cases are the last of the crop?
  3. Mjmoser

Mjmoser Savant (410) Illinois May 6, 2012

This was touched on in your Enigma thread:

http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/new-glarus-enigma-2012.36470/

Interesting the woud halt production of BR because cherries were in short supply, then include them in another beer. Apples were just as ad this year. Went to take my son o an orchard yesterday and when I called they said they lost over 70% of their crop to our crappy Midwest weather.....
  4. jegross2

jegross2 Advocate (715) Illinois Jan 3, 2010

Yes, its true. It must be. Someone on BA said so.

FWIW, I had heard the same thing.
  5. I have not heard anything regarding this, but it sounds awesome. FYI - Discount in Waukesha has ZERO bottles of Belgian Red on the shelves at the moment. The temporary halt in production must be turning this into a baby whale... ;)
  6. Tnudish

Tnudish Initiate (0) Wisconsin Feb 16, 2012

I, for one, welcome a new New Glarus fruit beer
  7. TyPhD

TyPhD Zealot (85) Mar 19, 2012

When I heard about this, I was told it was made with cranberries (not crabberries...) but heard nothing about Apple or cherries in it. Also heard that it should be out mid-October in all likelihood.
    jegross2 likes this.
  8. stevegoz

stevegoz Savant (320) Illinois May 5, 2008

If they use a blend of fruits, they won't need a full pound of cherries per 750ml of beer, so it's not an especially "interesting" notion.

Per a comment back to someone on its FB page, NG say they have enough cherries to make Belgian Red through the end of the year.
    gpawned and TheoV like this.

9. This sounds like a really interesting fruit beer! I will be looking for it for sure! They should throw some brett in it too! I doubt it will happen with brett though...
  10. MaxSpang

MaxSpang Advocate (515) Ohio Jan 28, 2011

Welp, regardless of what's going on with Belgian Red:

ISO: NG Serendipity.
    gpawned, ABisonEgo and MarkIntihar like this.
  11. Riley's in Madison just tweeted that it is a mix of apple, cherry and cranberry and should be on the shelves in two weeks. I can't wait to try it.
    Ri0 and jegross2 like this.
  12. Wisconsin

Wisconsin Savant (365) Wisconsin Jul 24, 2008

I have no doubt this new beer will be just as good. In fact, the cherry shortage might lead to NG brewing another gem. I don't see any need to panic here. Raspberry Tart is slight better (IMO) and is always available.

Bottom line: Dan Carey and fruit beers have always been a huge success. There's no reason to doubt this will be any different.
  13. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (935) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

If it is as good as Enigma and Raspberry Tart, then I'll be buying.
  14. Lemke10

Lemke10 Savant (370) Wisconsin Aug 20, 2010

I work at Woodman's in Janesville and we just got a New Glarus flyer the other day saying Serendipty will be replacing Belgian Red until Jan 1 due to the severe cherry shortage. Serendipty will be an "accidental" sour consisting of cherries, cranberries, and apples. (This is probably also why we have not seen the Thumbprint Apple Ale released thus far this year since there will be apples in this beer.)
    gpawned and jegross2 like this.
  15. This flyer, did it say when us Non-Wisconsin folks should head over to make our purchases?

Sounds good, and if it's replacing Belgian Red I'm optimistic that there will be plenty for both me and jegross.
  16. Tnudish

Tnudish Initiate (0) Wisconsin Feb 16, 2012

Did it say when it would see shelves? And what do they mean by "accidental sour"?
  17. jegross2

Sorry, but I already dibs'd all the bottles north of Kenosha. I really wish I could help you here.
  18. LadyOfMuchBeer

LadyOfMuchBeer Savant (380) Texas Apr 30, 2011

Crap, I thought I was done buying NG brews for a while.
    jegross2 likes this.
  19. Yes, I saw this flyer at Discount in Milwaukee, but I wasn't sure if it was from the distributor or Discount.
  20. Ri0

Serendipity "happy accident"
    NG didn't intend to brew this, but were put into the position because of the poor cherry crop.
    gpawned likes this.
  21. jegross2

As long as its closer to Belgian Red/Enigma than Crapple Ale Or Crap-Bic, I'll be happy. No more funny aftertastes! Bring back the Berliner!

EDIT:
    Apple ale has a distinct miller lite/macro lager-flavor after taste
    Cran-bic's finish was unenjoyably funky for me
  22. pmoney

pmoney Advocate (595) Illinois Apr 15, 2011

This is true, and nobody ever mentions this. However, I actually like it. It's what reminds me that I'm drinking a beer and not a Woodchuck Cider.
  23. jegross2

Fair enough
  24. Lemke10

Lemke10 Savant (370) Wisconsin Aug 20, 2010

I know we expecting a shipment within the next 2 weeks. I know I'll be buying and trying it the first day.
  25. Serendipity: that crapple taste you love, now with cherries!
  26. ISO: Marquette peeps (or just someone in WI, sigh :)) to hook up another Wisconsin locals trade (including this new NG beer). My faves are NG, Tyranena & Central Waters.

FT: Bruery and/or FiftyFifty. You guys know you want some Black Tuesday, Eclipse, Melange #3, Oude Tart etc. . .
    tjshippen likes this.
  27. jegross2

You know i still have your back after our last trade. BM me. Save the wales. I always hook up past trade partners that rock
  28. aasher

aasher Champion (900) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

Especially because the Apple and Cranbic are two of their best.
    Shagtastic likes this.
  29. I agree. They should really just leave the cherries out and call it Crapbic.
    pschul4 and jegross2 like this.
  30. Duff27

Duff27 Advocate (590) Illinois Feb 10, 2010

It's funny. I'm looking forward to Serendipity about as much as Wisconsin Belgian Red is my all-time favorite/highest reviewed beer.
    MaxSpang likes this.
  31. mykey120

mykey120 Aficionado (160) Wisconsin Aug 13, 2012

sounds interesting, hopefully it comes soon!
  32. pschul4

pschul4 Advocate (625) Illinois Jan 7, 2011

Would Crapple Ale not leave enough to the imagination? In all honesty I'm really pumped to try Serendipity
  33. Ri0

I just saw a NG Bock at the Copps grocery store. Anyone know what it is? I believe it was called WI Bock. I should have looked closer.
  34. chriltz

chriltz Aficionado (175) Illinois Mar 21, 2010

Might need to make a run up to wisconsin in a few weeks to get some of this. Also for cheese....Can not leave wisconsin without cheese.
  35. allouez86

allouez86 Savant (340) Wisconsin Jan 24, 2009

Our NG distributor said that the bock was the next seasonal after the Staghorn. Just released I believe. No word yet on how good it is and can't recall of the top of my head what they were calling it.
    jegross2 likes this.
  36. Pretty sure it is UffDa Bock.
  37. Ri0

I know it didn't say UffDa. I posted on NG's FB page about it.
  38. Back Forty Bock says Wisonsin Bock on the neck label.
  39. Ri0

That's what was on the neck label. Considering Back 40 is a fall release, I'm sure this is what it is.
  40. allouez86

allouez86 Savant (340) Wisconsin Jan 24, 2009

Yep, now that it's been mentioned, I'm 100% sure that it was "Back Forty" and it's the next seasonal release.