1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

New Glarus Wild Sour Ale

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by teamwiggum, Jul 12, 2013.

1. teamwiggum

teamwiggum Member

From my go to liquor store's FB page:
    Are you a fan of Sour Beers? If so, than you may enjoy these next few days. Today, New Glarus Brewing Co.'s Wild Sour Ale arrived. Tomorrow? Who knows what?

[​IMG]
    toastck, Christopper, KWMiles and 4 others like this.
  2. s_wit

s_wit Member

The only sours I have had have been this and ng Berliner Weiss. Berliner Weiss was decent and I really liked this wild sour ale. How does this compare to other sours? If I really like this should I be pursuing more sours?
  3. gyberic

gyberic Member

Yes.
    aasher, matttttYCE, pinnser and 2 others like this.
  4. HighWine

HighWine Member

The answer is obviously "no".
    jbck109, Panky, pschul4 and 9 others like this.
  5. mynie

mynie Member

Enigma was very good and their last batch of Berliner was amazing. I have very high hopes for this.
    weakness33 likes this.
  6. Wisconsin

Wisconsin Member

Berliner Weiss isn't technically a sour even though it has the tart flavor from the grapes. The Sour Ale has some wild yeast being introduced. And yes, it goes without saying, buy the hell out of this. A beer like this from most other breweries would be in a bomber and cost $15/bottle. Between this and Berliner Weiss the Thumbprints have taken off after that slow start.
    KWMiles likes this.
  7. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Member

In this regard New Glarus is a cut above no matter the format the most you'll spend is 13 bucks and some change. (Not counting cases)
    alex_hart and VictorWisc like this.
  8. Wisconsin

Wisconsin Member

In most cases I would agree. However, the Winter Warmer wasn't worth $10 to me. Anyway, has anybody seen in around La Crosse?
  9. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Member

Berliner weisses typically soured using bacteria from unmashed grain, right? I'm pretty sure...
    Tmappin and Duff27 like this.
  10. antlerwrestler19

antlerwrestler19 Member

They can be using the sour mash method in which the grain is allowed to rest at optimal temperature so the natural lactobacillus has an opportunity to ferment the beer without any yeast being introduced. However, there are many bacterial varieties available without the use of any sour mash methods to mimic the characteristics. It's entirely up to the brewer at that point. I've only done one berlinner wiesse while homebrewing and I used the sour mash method - while the beer is tasty there is a minuscule "rotten grain" characteristic that has been off-putting to some friends who I've shared it with.
    WhereTheWildBeersGo likes this.
  11. s_wit

s_wit Member

How does this compare to other sours?
  12. IndyDad

IndyDad Member

Send me some in New York, and I'll let you know how it compares to other sours (or Berliners)
    dar482 likes this.
  13. Circleo12

Circleo12 Member

Oh, teamwiggum, about this new NG beer.......
  14. TurdFurgison

TurdFurgison Member

Here's what the label says: "Naturally soured by farm valley winds blowing wild yeast into our oak casks. Finally after a year and a half of patient coaxing, Wisconsin dark malts swirl in a kaleidescope of cedar, caramel, and tart green plum exhuberence."

Having had one myself yesterday (albeit after a scathingly hopped IIPA, effectively de-sensitizing me toward nuanced flavors) I'd say it's similar to a mild Oud Bruin or Flanders Red. Slightly more sour than Enigma, also less fruit (almost certainly no fruit at all was used), it was really an easy drinking sour. Nearly everything that NG makes is on the money, you really cannot go wrong choosing this.
    Rainblows and Geuzedad like this.
  15. AleFredO

AleFredO Member

Berliner Weisse is technically a sour ale. 17a of BJCP guidelines.
  16. BiereBlanche

BiereBlanche Member

Nothing very technical about it - you taste a BW and it's sour and lactic, otherwise it's just a wheat beer.

NG BW is great, look forward to this release as well.
    Duff27 likes this.
  17. Coletrain

Coletrain Member

quick report: it is a not crazy sour, just slightly more sour than the Berliner Weisse. Really easy to drink, by sour standards, i will be buying more tonight.
    ahermsen likes this.
  18. elliott1184

elliott1184 Member

Anyone know when this is coming to Hudson or Eau Claire?
  19. Surlytime

Surlytime Member

Just spoke with a friend at Bill's Distributing in Menomonie and it is in and will be sent out to the stores Monday.
    elliott1184 likes this.
  20. HenryAdams

HenryAdams Member

Oh, man, moving to Madison in a month. I hope some of this is still left for me!
    alex_hart, VictorWisc and YogiBeer like this.
  21. elliott1184

elliott1184 Member

Thanks! Any thoughts on whether this will hang around for a while, as Berliner Weiss has, or will it go quickly?
  22. TurdFurgison

TurdFurgison Member

Wish I knew this too. If it was truely made with wild yeasts across an open vat over an 18 month period then it's possible that this will be a little more limited. Don't know for sure though.
  23. Surlytime

Surlytime Member

Looks Like this is through August so should be around for a while.
    TurdFurgison likes this.
  24. MooseBoose

MooseBoose Member

The IIPA was great too. While I agree on the Winter Warmer, everyone is allowed a mulligan once in a while, no?
    tjwarren and s_wit like this.
  25. Wisconsin

Wisconsin Member

I assume Casanova's will put a one case limit on it, which isn't a big deal, until more shows up in the next couple weeks. The first delivery will get hit hard, but the supply of Thumbprints always outlast demand regardless of the beer. Clean 'em out Mudducks.
    jRocco2021 likes this.
  26. maDUECEgunner

maDUECEgunner Member

I can't wait till it makes it up to Superior.
  27. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Member

This sounds pretty tasty.
  28. JamesShoemaker

JamesShoemaker Member

Not after a month, but I'm sure you could find it outside of Madison and the metro.
  29. mychalg9

mychalg9 Member

Of course this comes out the week after I was in WI
  30. Fireslayer

Fireslayer Member

Just picked up a case....glad I did. This stuff is awesome!
  31. ValleyOfTheSuds

ValleyOfTheSuds Member

Ugh, want a case so bad. Sounds like it's nowhere near as sour as the R&D Sour Ale, but that's okay. The R&D brew is pretty damn sour and for a daily drinker, I prefer something closer to Enigma or a bit more sour, so this sounds about perfect from everything I've heard.
    Geuzedad likes this.
  32. Geuzedad

Geuzedad Member

Plus 1
  33. Geuzedad

Geuzedad Member

Got a trade partner that is picking some up for me. I can't wait to try it. Trading him som RR sours in exchange.
  34. teamwiggum

teamwiggum Member

Yes? ;)
  35. teamwiggum

teamwiggum Member

I should be able to help you out, shoot me a BM if you're interested.
  36. Stevedore

Stevedore Member

Its a clear looking beer, so I wonder if it will improve with age. I don't know if there's any brett sitting in the bottom of the bottle, but if its in there somewhere, that would make one expect more funk with age.

Thoughts?
  37. Ri0

Ri0 Member

After drinking my first 4pk, I contacted New Glarus and asked if they could deliver 10 cases to my front door.
    Quantum_Dong and s_wit like this.
  38. doobgoob

doobgoob Member

I'm pretty sure NG pasteurizes all their beers, so this one probably won't get a lot more funky. If anything it'll probably oxidize with age. Still gonna pick up a case though!
  39. Circleo12

Circleo12 Member

I'm not sayin, I'm just sayin...NG BW+NG Wild Sour..you can sponsor a famished South Carolina beer drinker, with these goods...for only pennies a day.
    teamwiggum likes this.
  40. ValleyOfTheSuds

ValleyOfTheSuds Member

From NG's site:

"Truly unique this Sour Ale is brewed for those who live on the wild side and is suitable for laying down or consuming immediately, serve at 40 – 45 °F."

Just sayin'.
    VictorWisc likes this.