New Glarus Wisconsin Belgian Red Still Year-Round?

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by hopoilcrazy, May 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hopoilcrazy

hopoilcrazy Initiate (0) Aug 24, 2004 Tennessee

I tried to search for this info here on BA, but to no avail. So, I am just trying to figure out if Wisconsin Belgian Red is still a year round beer for NG. New Glarus' website has it in the category of "beers we have known and loved" as if it is now brewed on a rotating basis, but its profile here on BA has it as a year-round offering. I am heading up to Wisconsin on a trip and would appreciate any insight here.

2. supercolter

supercolter Maven (1,254) Apr 19, 2006 Wisconsin
    Trader

So, here's the skinny on that one. The upper midwest had an incredibly bad year last year for fruit crop yield due to heavily fluctuating temperatures and rainfall. Two of the main states impacted (Michigan and Wisconsin) happen to be primary sources for many of the fruit beers that New Glarus produces, leading to heavy shortages of cherries. Thus, they were forced to temporarily retire that beer last Decemberish and it was replaced on shelves by Serendipity, which is a blend of (I believe) cherries, apples, and raspberries. I think that one is also going to remain a year-round staple, and alas, we are better for it as it is fricking DELICIOUS!

3. ben4bier

ben4bier Initiate (0) Mar 3, 2013 Minnesota

Cherries apples and cranberries

4. BrettHead

BrettHead Initiate (0) Sep 18, 2010 Nebraska

It's true, a lot of breweries couldn't do their cherry beers this year (bell's, founder's, and new glarus all come to mind) because of the poor cherry crop. However, Serendipity is damn good...I want more!

5. 4DAloveofSTOUT

4DAloveofSTOUT Grand Pooh-Bah (3,730) Nov 28, 2008 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Serendipity is way better that belgian red anyways:slight_smile:

6. hopoilcrazy

hopoilcrazy Initiate (0) Aug 24, 2004 Tennessee

Thanks for all the info everyone, I am definitely gonna grab some Serendipity and tons of others. Is Berliner Weiss out yet?

7. jera1350

jera1350 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,017) Dec 15, 2007 Minnesota
    Pooh-Bah Society

Yes

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.