1. The BeerAdvocate Store is back! Pre-order your stuff now. Items begin shipping Dec 15. Christmas deadline = Dec 18 @ 5pm EST.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

New Hampshire Cuts Red Tape To Put Nanobreweries On Tap

Discussion in 'US - New England' started by dauss, Feb 7, 2013.

1. dauss

dauss Advocate (575) Colorado Aug 9, 2003

Looks like nanobreweries are getting some love. They did cover some of the pain points of a nanobrewery, which is how to stay small, but also running a brewery without a "real" job. 12 barrels a week on a 3 barrel system isn't back breaking, but I can't wait for more states to relax the restrictions leftover from nearly 100 years ago.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/20...ire-cuts-red-tape-to-put-nanobreweries-on-tap

LostTraveler and Maxwell like this.
  2. TheMonkfish

TheMonkfish Initiate (0) Chad Jan 8, 2012

Awesome. The Boston El Globo ran a similar article yesterday that featured Tom Neel of Candia Road in Manchester (really cool guy who shares a lot about his beers.) Good to see things getting a little less tight assed in NH.

FrankLloydMike likes this.
  3. BeerHunter76

BeerHunter76 Savant (455) Texas Dec 25, 2010

Wow, states doing what they can to help small brewers get their beer out to the public who wants it? What's that like and can you teach it to Texas?

4. We really need to make it easier for the smaller breweries that surround us(Hill Farmstead, Alchemist, Lawsons Finest, New England Brewing, Jacks Abbey etc) to sell beer in NH. It's a shame we don't get these offerings, but nice that they are only an hour or so away in tiny New England.

Maxwell likes this.
  5. TheMonkfish

TheMonkfish Initiate (0) Chad Jan 8, 2012

Unfortunately most of them will probably hit MA, NYC, Philly and beyond before they make it to NH. I've yet to have a HF brew in spite of living within a few hours of them (we did a vacation in Jay VT this summer, but a 60 minute detour for 'Dad's beer' was pretty much out of the question (I didn't even bring it up since my little kids had been so good on a really long car ride) - though I was able to hit the Alchemist cannery while the rest of the family waited for the Ben N Jerry's tour.)

I think I need to hire a mule to get LFW And HF. :)

Sidebar: We'll see how Weed's beer tax increase in NH is received. I have to wonder how much of the Massachusetts effect will have on the outcome of that proposed hike.

6. Kinsman

Kinsman Advocate (600) California Aug 26, 2009

Even with more craft beer friendly laws, NH still doesn't have the market to encourage those breweries to come here before they go elsewhere. Look at Maine Beer Co. for example. Before expanding into NH, they skipped over us and hit VT and MA first. Relaxed laws may have contributed to this but they also have a much larger market for craft beer and NH will always be playing catch up to them. So to look at any of those breweries you mentioned, you have to realize that it just makes more sense to expand elsewhere before you hit NH. Take a brewery like Jacks Abby (or Pretty Things a few years ago) and I think it just makes sense to hit NY, NJ, PA, CT, ME, VT all before New Hampshire.

As for those Vermont guys... ain't happening. Alchemist can't even keep their own brewery store in stock these days so regional distribution of HT is a very long way off. HF and Lawsons have both said they have little interest in expanding much beyond their current size so I think we're stuck driving to VT for their beer.

7. Flashy

Flashy Advocate (615) Vermont Oct 22, 2003

All we have available in Southern VT is Long Trail, McNeills, Otter Creek, Magic Hat and maybe Northshire- as far as VT beers go. Ain't so great here either.