1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

New Holland Dragon's Milk oak barrel ale vs. Bourbon barrel stout

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by DCgolfpro, Feb 24, 2013.

1. DCgolfpro

DCgolfpro Member

Today I saw this at the store and bought it because I thought it was a beer I hadn't had. Now I'm wondering if New Holland just changed the label and name of the beer. Before when I'd seen this it was labeled as an "Ale aged in oak barrels". You can see this one says, "Bourbon Barrel Stout".

Is this the same beer? Did I just buy 2 four packs of the same old Dragon's milk?

[​IMG]
  2. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Member

Same beer just new labels. New Holland is now being more descriptive in their labeling. Both Dragons Milk and Pilgrims Dole have always been bourbon barrel aged, many people are just now catching on due to labeling.
    nickapalooza86 and aasher like this.
  3. DCgolfpro

DCgolfpro Member

FT: Two 4 packs of Dragon's Milk
    BeastLU, jhartley and gustogasmic like this.
  4. lonewolfcry

lonewolfcry Member

...I was waiting for that.
    gpawned likes this.
  5. DCgolfpro

DCgolfpro Member

TwelveOunces likes this.
  6. cornsnake23

cornsnake23 Member

Dragon's Milk is my favorite New Holland brew. I wouldn't be disappointed if I had 2 four packs. So if something isn't aged in bourbon it isn't worth drinking anymore? I'm still trying to figure out when beer advocate became bourbon advocate.
    lonewolfcry, ESeab and visualmartyr like this.
  7. yamar68

yamar68 Member

Two different labels, same gross beer inside.
  8. DCgolfpro

DCgolfpro Member

It IS aged in bourbon barrels. You read the label, right?

Beer advocate didn't become bourbon advocate. It just so happens a lot of BA's dig on bourbon barrel aged beers. I'm one of them. I thought this was one I hadn't had, so I bought some. Turns out I've had it. Would have rather spent the 30 beans on Sucaba and BA bigfoot next week. If you like it so much, I'd be happy to trade with you.
  9. Ivegotmule

Ivegotmule Member

Yeah I dislike Dragon's Milk myself. Night Stalker is far superior from NH.
  10. ESeab

ESeab Member

Had it last night and thought it was delish :p, i still love ya tho

OP: Should have bought one four pack if wasn't sure
  11. BlackDragon

BlackDragon Member

Night Stalker is Goose Island and not as good as Dragons Milk it's my favorite year round beer I'd be glad to take it off anyones hands who doesn't want it.
    ESeab likes this.
  12. drgarage

drgarage Member

I think he meant Night Tripper.
  13. zachary80

zachary80 Member

So you thought they used the same name on a different beer that has only two reviews? I understand wanting to qualify whether it was a different barrel from regular Dragon's Milk but I'm not sure what happened in the thread after that
  14. Marti403

Marti403 Member

Same thing goes with the Pilgrim's Dole. It's always been barrel aged but they just now started putting it on the label.
  15. coreyfmcdonald

coreyfmcdonald Member

I'm about 99% sure that guy had Dragon's Milk.

Edit: OK, I'm 100% sure but was trying to be nice.
    DCgolfpro likes this.
  16. Ivegotmule

Ivegotmule Member

I did mean night tripper. But I've had night stalker too and it beats them both!
  17. DCgolfpro

DCgolfpro Member

I thought it was strange it only had two reviews. I was almost convinced it was the same old beer when I found it above the same old DM label on the shelf. Something about the change from "ale" to "stout" (obviously a stout is an ale...) and the "oak" to "bourbon" with the different label made me take a chance. I did a quick google search on any information on a label change and didn't find anything. I rolled the dice and lost. Not a big deal, or any kind of deal, but I came here to find out for sure what I'd bought.

I now think the two people that reviewed it made the same mistake as I. As far as the same name, sure why not? Yeti, Eclipse, a dozen other examples, why not Dragons Milk. As far as I knew until starting this thread there could have been Oak DM, Bourbon DM, Egg Nog DM, Baby's Breath DM. It's wouldn't have been the first time I came across a beer in a store I couldn't find on BA. It just so happens that this time the beer's label doesn't currently match the beers name on BA http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/335/5428
  18. TwelveOunces

TwelveOunces Member

Really? I just bough a 4 pack thinking it was a different brew. I have had Dragons milk before and didn't notice any bourbon flavors. I think they are aging them partially in bourbon now just to add to the name.
  19. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Member

New Holland may have reused the barrels more in the past, leading to a less intense bourbon flavor, but it has always been aged in bourbon barrels. This information has been confirmed by multiple people at New Holland.
    TwelveOunces likes this.
  20. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Member

I thought it sucked as well. Bought a bottle of it in Asheville last year and about barfed at the house when I opened it.

No bourbon, and little oak. More like twigs and dirt.