1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

New Holland Dragon's Milk oak barrel ale vs. Bourbon barrel stout

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by DCgolfpro, Feb 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DCgolfpro

DCgolfpro Advocate (515) Maryland Oct 26, 2011

Today I saw this at the store and bought it because I thought it was a beer I hadn't had. Now I'm wondering if New Holland just changed the label and name of the beer. Before when I'd seen this it was labeled as an "Ale aged in oak barrels". You can see this one says, "Bourbon Barrel Stout".

Is this the same beer? Did I just buy 2 four packs of the same old Dragon's milk?

[​IMG]

2. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (850) Michigan May 8, 2006

Same beer just new labels. New Holland is now being more descriptive in their labeling. Both Dragons Milk and Pilgrims Dole have always been bourbon barrel aged, many people are just now catching on due to labeling.

nickapalooza86 and aasher like this.
  3. DCgolfpro

FT: Two 4 packs of Dragon's Milk

4. ...I was waiting for that.

gpawned likes this.
  5. DCgolfpro

TwelveOunces likes this.
  6. Dragon's Milk is my favorite New Holland brew. I wouldn't be disappointed if I had 2 four packs. So if something isn't aged in bourbon it isn't worth drinking anymore? I'm still trying to figure out when beer advocate became bourbon advocate.

7. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

Two different labels, same gross beer inside.

8. DCgolfpro

It IS aged in bourbon barrels. You read the label, right?

Beer advocate didn't become bourbon advocate. It just so happens a lot of BA's dig on bourbon barrel aged beers. I'm one of them. I thought this was one I hadn't had, so I bought some. Turns out I've had it. Would have rather spent the 30 beans on Sucaba and BA bigfoot next week. If you like it so much, I'd be happy to trade with you.

9. Yeah I dislike Dragon's Milk myself. Night Stalker is far superior from NH.

10. ESeab

ESeab Advocate (515) New Jersey Jan 3, 2013

Had it last night and thought it was delish :p, i still love ya tho

OP: Should have bought one four pack if wasn't sure

11. BlackDragon

BlackDragon Initiate (0) Michigan Feb 16, 2013

Night Stalker is Goose Island and not as good as Dragons Milk it's my favorite year round beer I'd be glad to take it off anyones hands who doesn't want it.

ESeab likes this.
  12. drgarage

drgarage Initiate (0) California Aug 19, 2008

I think he meant Night Tripper.

13. zachary80

zachary80 Savant (335) Indiana Nov 29, 2009

So you thought they used the same name on a different beer that has only two reviews? I understand wanting to qualify whether it was a different barrel from regular Dragon's Milk but I'm not sure what happened in the thread after that

14. Marti403

Marti403 Advocate (520) Michigan Jul 23, 2011

Same thing goes with the Pilgrim's Dole. It's always been barrel aged but they just now started putting it on the label.

15. I'm about 99% sure that guy had Dragon's Milk.

Edit: OK, I'm 100% sure but was trying to be nice.

DCgolfpro likes this.
  16. I did mean night tripper. But I've had night stalker too and it beats them both!

17. DCgolfpro

I thought it was strange it only had two reviews. I was almost convinced it was the same old beer when I found it above the same old DM label on the shelf. Something about the change from "ale" to "stout" (obviously a stout is an ale...) and the "oak" to "bourbon" with the different label made me take a chance. I did a quick google search on any information on a label change and didn't find anything. I rolled the dice and lost. Not a big deal, or any kind of deal, but I came here to find out for sure what I'd bought.

I now think the two people that reviewed it made the same mistake as I. As far as the same name, sure why not? Yeti, Eclipse, a dozen other examples, why not Dragons Milk. As far as I knew until starting this thread there could have been Oak DM, Bourbon DM, Egg Nog DM, Baby's Breath DM. It's wouldn't have been the first time I came across a beer in a store I couldn't find on BA. It just so happens that this time the beer's label doesn't currently match the beers name on BA http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/335/5428

18. Really? I just bough a 4 pack thinking it was a different brew. I have had Dragons milk before and didn't notice any bourbon flavors. I think they are aging them partially in bourbon now just to add to the name.

19. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (850) Michigan May 8, 2006

New Holland may have reused the barrels more in the past, leading to a less intense bourbon flavor, but it has always been aged in bourbon barrels. This information has been confirmed by multiple people at New Holland.

TwelveOunces likes this.
  20. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Moderator (860) Georgia Feb 12, 2012 Staff Member

I thought it sucked as well. Bought a bottle of it in Asheville last year and about barfed at the house when I opened it.

No bourbon, and little oak. More like twigs and dirt.

21. scotorum

scotorum Savant (420) Massachusetts May 28, 2013

I just had this for the first time because my state only recently began getting their distribution, and frankly, BCBS is becoming awfully pricey. I thought the NHBBADM was one of the best BBA stouts I have had.

When I came on to BA's listing to add my review, I noticed the same differences the OP noticed, and held off posting because I wasn't sure it was the same brew. The title line on the listing does not mention barrel aging at all, the label shown only says "An Ale Aged In Oak Barrels," and the "Notes/Commercial Description" only says it's a "barrel aged Imperial Stout with roasty malt character intermingled with deep vanilla tones, all dancing in an oak bath." Given how popular bourbon barrel aging is lately, I'd have thought that would have been mentioned. I saw that the two reviews both mentioned bourbon flavor, but I also thought maybe they had made a mistake and that there simply was no bourbon barrel aged DM listing on BA.

What's more confusing is that when you do the search "Dragon's Milk Bourbon Barrel," you get a list of links to BA listings including this forum. When you click on two different listing links, (both with the same listing code numbers [1] http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/335/5428/; [2] http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/335/5428/?ba=norinco; ), although the descriptions, statistics and old label illustration are identical, the reviews shown are different yet constant, and on [2], you have to read to the fourth review before there is any mention of a bourbon flavor, and then it is just called "boozy" and criticized as such! The first three reviews do not mention any bourbon flavor at all, nor even use the term "boozy!" Bourbon flavor was sure prominant in the ones I have had so far.

As to taste, aging even high ABV stouts is not completely reliable. When you throw in the possibility that some bottles might have been stored in a hot place for a significant period before purchase, you can end up with all sorts of crap tastes. I was just checking out the new Evil Twin Molotov Lite, an IIPA, and a few of the ratings there are way under the average. Their accompanying descriptions makes you wonder how they could possibly have been drinking the same beer as the rest. That's why I always try to give one of those rare "drain pours" a second chance, especially when the rating by many others is high. I might have gotten a bad bottle.

BTW in case anyone missed it, New Holland has announced they are planning to add four variants to their DM lineup next year. http://newhollandbrew.com/new-holla...h-raspberries-and-four-2015-reserve-releases/

22. Mshea805

Mshea805 Savant (295) California Apr 12, 2014

Do you guys that dislike dragons milk like other BA stouts or just not care for the style? Ive got some on the way to try and if I like it id be happy to work out a trade with OP. I absolutly love the idea of affordable small format BA stouts and want to get as much as I can get my hands on, we have nothing comparable on the west coast no one out here will put such a beer in a 12oz multi pack.

WckdVbz likes this.
  23. krustster

krustster Savant (300) Michigan Nov 22, 2013

This thread is over a year old, just so you know, so the OP probably drank his already. I like Dragon's Milk but it's not the same as most BA stouts, it's aged for a short time and they re-use the barrels a lot...which is fine, but doesn't place it on the same level as things that most people seek out. It is pretty good especially as a year-round beer though, for my money. If you really like it, feel free to shoot me a message or else I'm sure many people on here can hook you up with more as it's pretty readily available in their distribution areas.

24. Same beer. My favorite beer by New Holland. Why so much hate guys? Is it because it's available year-round?

FarmerTed, scotorum and miwestcoaster like this.
  25. DCgolfpro

No. It's because it's not delicious.

26. scotorum

Well I couldn't believe it but on checking you seem to be right, which is surprising considering the current popularity of the style. I had some to recommend, but the only one which might be distributred to California is Innis & Gunn of Scotland, and it's not a stout. Their Rum Cask Aged is one of my favorites. Sierra Nevada BBA Narwhal is just out but it's large format and very expensive at around a dollar an ounce.

Green Flash's very popular Silva Stout is in 12 oz. bottles. I have not seen that on the East Coast yet but you might be able to locate some. http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/2743/62253/ Avery has Uncle Jacob's Stout and Tweak, but dayum they are costly at $12-18 per 12 oz. bottle, are not offered in fourpacks, and have limited California distribution. Your best bet is probably to buy online or trade. I can't trade or buy online in my state, due to laws against mailing alcohol.

27. scotorum

I thought it was, and when I went back to buy more yesterday, it was the only New Holland brew which was all gone, so apparently someone else thought it was delicious too. Tweechisown I guess. You are apparently in the majority, which is good, more for us that really like it. :) Cheers!

krustster and WckdVbz like this.
  28. Mshea805

Yeah man, finding amazing BA stouts is not a problem but the reasonably priced 12oz is just non exsistant on the west coast. Parabola, Black Tuesday, Abyss, pugachevs, tweak, ect can all be acquired fairly easily but cheaper 12oz forget about it! I'm lucky to get a few bottles of bourbon county at $6 each and that's it. Im so jealous of the guys that get dragons milk, central waters bourbon stout and barleywine, kbs, or even pirate bomb at a decent price, ect.

scotorum likes this.
  29. Mshea805

Thanks I did not take note of the original post date.

30. scotorum

I did, but I posted on it anyway because it was one of the top links provided by BA when I searched "Dragons Milk Bourbon Barrel" and as I said above I found the OP's initial observation matched my own just the other day when I first went to post my review, so I thought it might be worth mentioning.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2014
  31. Ri0

Ri0 Poobah (1,050) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

Just let those two 4pks sit for about two years in a cellar. I wasn't fond of Dragon's Milk fresh, but it seems to improve a good bit with age.

killerjetski likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.