New/Hybrid Styles (White Stout)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by ShogoKawada, Feb 5, 2013.

1. I'm gearing up for EBF. Should be a good time.

But I see there's a 'white stout'. What the heck is a white stout? Anyone? Anyone? The only one in the system is listed as a barleywine and is considered a strong pale ale.

Anyone have any info on this style?

2. wheat stout, new emerging style. not too popular yet, I'm sure it'll be huge though

3. TMoney2591

TMoney2591 Champion (955) Illinois Apr 21, 2009

I saw such a thing on a British YouTuber's review once. Basically, they're using "stout" in the traditional British sense, meaning strong or somesuch. Therefore, you don't need the roasted malts and whatnot to have a stout, just strength.

4. emannths

emannths Savant (425) Massachusetts Sep 21, 2007

Stout * wit maybe? So maybe a stout with wheat, coriander, orange peel, and wit yeast?

5. Looks like a golden ale to me... They are using the name Stout as a moniker for an IPA...jeez.

Actually, you can throw a name on anything but coming up with new styles is almost futile as they have to recognized as such...and then you have to find someone actually does such things...

6. ant880

ant880 Advocate (635) New York Nov 7, 2010

Reminds me of that April Fool's ad by Guinness...
    [​IMG]

7. MacNCheese

MacNCheese Initiate (0) California Dec 10, 2011

It's not a style but a fad that will hopefully die a quick death. The only one I've seen is from Nobel brewing "Naughty Sauce" and they list it as a 'white stout'. It gets roastiness from coffee, but otherwise is total shite.

kojevergas likes this.
  8. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

Disappointing, I thought they actually figured out a way to have a pale beer taste roasty.

I wonder how hard it would be to bleach roasted malts and still retain the flavor characteristics.

checktherhyme likes this.
  9. bum732

bum732 Advocate (630) Lesotho Feb 18, 2008

I'm sure this will go over as well as Crystal Pepsi.

10. TMoney2591

TMoney2591 Champion (955) Illinois Apr 21, 2009

The clear Guinness from a few years back warped my brain for a few minutes...

11. I seem to recall a recent issue of the BA mag that talked about that. I'd have to find it later but i remember "white stout" sticking in my head.

12. luwak

luwak Savant (305) Arizona Mar 2, 2010

I knida think some wheatwines make me think "white stout"
    The much hated Bruery White Oak feels like a "blonde stout" in its mouthfeel, but of course it aint roasty...

13. You take that back, mister! I happened to love Crystal Pepsi.

BedetheVenerable likes this.
  14. MacNCheese

MacNCheese Initiate (0) California Dec 10, 2011

ISO non-roasty stouts. Oh wait, those are porters.

BrownAleMale likes this.
  15. patto1ro

patto1ro Advocate (500) Netherlands Apr 26, 2004

The correct name is Pale Stout.

utopiajane likes this.
  16. fritts211

fritts211 Savant (310) Tennessee Feb 19, 2011

There is some strange voodoo here at work for us to get white stouts... I feel uncomfortable now having read this. I'm more confused now than when I saw that bizarre Gagnam Style video for the first time. :mad:

17. dblab33

dblab33 Savant (365) Michigan Dec 9, 2011

Read brewing forums and you'll see that there are some folks looking to capture the roastiness and creamy mouthfeel of a stout without adding color. It's definitely possible.... but once you see it and know what it is, you'll most likely be biased and begin to form an opinion before even taking a sip.

It would be hard not to.

18. Why not simply brew a stout and serve it in a pewter mug? That way you can't see what colour it is and just enjoy the taste.
    Pale stouts were common enough at one time.

tarawho likes this.
  19. Black IPA to me taste like roasted IPA's, or "Cascadian Dark Ale". I like em. Beats wit IPA for sure.

jucifer1818 likes this.
  20. dblab33

dblab33 Savant (365) Michigan Dec 9, 2011

Novelty I guess? Can't really think of any other reason....

21. danieelol

danieelol Advocate (510) Australia Jun 15, 2010

It is simply a pale beer which attempts to emulate the characteristics of a stout using adjuncts like cocoa nibs, coffee or alternatively smoked malt and/or barrel aging.

22. does it taste like a stout, or some weird pale beer?

23. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (835) California Nov 16, 2009

Try it. You might like it. Then boot it!

Cheers!

24. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (840) Michigan May 8, 2006

Sarlacc83 likes this.
  25. Pahn

Pahn Advocate (705) New York Dec 2, 2009

beat me to it.

is a pale "stout" possible? wouldn't the roasted malt turn the beer brown? any homebrewers want to chime in on how something could taste like a stout and be pale?

26. ffenski

ffenski Aficionado (215) Ohio Apr 24, 2008

It was just next on the list of "new styles we can forge", like dark blonde ale. Then, of course, oak-aged dark blonde ale.

27. Could've sworn I saw something on twitter about that Night Shift beer. I think it's barrel aged and has some adjuncts added to create a roasty/bitter flavor. I can't find the info though.

28. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (380) New York Jul 16, 2011

sounds like white chocolate to me. White chocolate = oxymoron.
    All the best foods and beverages are brown.*
    *Highly biased/ opinionated comment from a self-proclaimed stout girl who doesn't humor any bev that isn't viscous and black.

29. "clear liquors are for women on diets"

-Ron Swanson

beerme411, Sarlacc83, ant880 and 2 others like this.
  30. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (380) New York Jul 16, 2011

damn. guess I can't go on a diet

corby112 likes this.
  31. jtg5678

jtg5678 Savant (290) Illinois Nov 27, 2012

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only reason to try to make a "pale stout" is appearance?

32. jbck109

jbck109 Savant (365) Michigan May 30, 2010

MMM bleach, just the flavor I want in my beer! Cool concept though, it would be interesting to have a beer that looked like kellerweiss and tasted like FIS

33. spoonhawk

spoonhawk Savant (360) Iowa Dec 3, 2010

I've had wheat stouts before -- lighter body, smoother profile, and tend to have a touch of banana and grass in 'em. My experience with them so far has been mixed, but I like the idea.

A "white stout"? Beats me.

34. jmgrub

jmgrub Savant (445) California Nov 20, 2010

If I didn't only drink brewery-only limited-release barrel-aged beers from breweries not partially or wholly owned by large beer companies, I'd probably give this style a try. Sounds nice.

WestSideAmish likes this.
  35. When I first saw the title of this thread, I was hoping it was something along the lines of wheat malt toasted like barley malt would be in a typical stout (Not that it would taste good, I don't know that it would, but it would be interesting). The truth is so disappointing. Not to say I won't try it just to see if it really is sort of in it's own class, but still.

36. MammaGoose

MammaGoose Aficionado (210) Wyoming Jan 10, 2013

Sorry to dig this up, but I took a trip to Denver this last weekend and one of the breweries we stopped at was Renegade Brewing Co. They had a white stout on tap, and I thought of this thread...so for the sake of BA, I ordered it. It was kind of a hazy pale honey color. It smelled toasty, as opposed to burnt or roasty. The mouthfeel was more definitely more viscous than one usually expects from a beer that color. And the taste was kind of nutty. My boyfriend and I both agreed it was fairly reminiscent of peanut butter. I believe it was 8% ABV. It wasn't a bad beer. I don't know how stout-ish it was, besides a fuller body and a reasonably high ABV. Really, I had no idea what to expect or look for in the "style" and had nothing to compare it to, so I probably didn't enjoy the beer as much as I could have.

I enjoyed my double IPA I had afterwards a lot more :)

ShogoKawada likes this.
  37. awesome, thanks for the first-hand account.

38. Meant the same thing in the US -:eek:
    [​IMG]

39. beergurujr

beergurujr Savant (360) Illinois Oct 27, 2003

40. Scalzo

Scalzo Savant (390) Illinois Feb 27, 2012

If you watch the video, Brewdog/Stone supplemented traditional stout malts with other traditional stout ingredients; chocolate, coffee, etc.

This in theory would mimic a stout, and make us question what makes a stout, a stout? is it the color? the mouth feel? The roasted, chocolate flavors and aromas?