1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

New Import Sightings

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by heygeebee, Jul 31, 2012.

1. dgilks

dgilks Advocate (655) Australia Jul 14, 2008

I agree but I do hope that we see this at a reasonable price and by that I mean closer to $20 than $30. Yes, some of their stuff is great but it won't be if pricing ends up through the roof.

ETA: And I do realise that is somewhat unrealistic.
  2. Lukie

Lukie Savant (415) Australia Jun 16, 2007

18 - 20 at this stage ;)
  3. Speaking of Kiwis, 3 new (to me) Emersons beers are about - the APA (which seems to have been retired a while - it's good), the Southern Clam Stout (quite hoppy, fairly briny) and this year's Belgian-influenced JP (haven't tried it yet, the 2010 one was excellent).

Dodgy marketing or not, I've found plenty to like about Moa - except the Breakfast one, which was vile.
  4. dgilks

dgilks Advocate (655) Australia Jul 14, 2008

Not coming in via a certain Brisbane based importer then. That's a relief.
  5. I guess I have always been disappointed with some NZ brewer's prices, their beers are good, but not that good. (And in some instances premium price gets average beer imho). Said in the light that transport is not as much as the US or Europe based stuff.

Moa? - yep can take or leave but an example of ok prices... the article was an interesting read but says to me in the main that it's very difficult to separate the $$$$s bit of a business from the making beer bit of the business. Can't have one without the other. And let's face it Brewdog piss an awful lot of people off as well, and they came to mind when I was reading.
  6. YaKnowBrady

YaKnowBrady Initiate (0) New Jersey Jul 23, 2010

Weird question, but is it exceptionally hard to get European Imports down under? It always seems you fellas get nice Belgian Lambics and some other euro rarities, but limited US imports.

Also, how's the domestic scene? I've only had few Australian brews before. Sorry if this should be a new thread, but figured this thread would shed some light/10
  7. Lukie

Lukie Savant (415) Australia Jun 16, 2007

Most US breweries can't keep up with demand in the US, so don't really want to export at this stage.

Europe is a whole different ballgame. We get heaps of Belgian stuff, good German stuff, and a combination of decent UK and some horrible tired UK stuff (since they really don't give two craps about how people treat their beer).

Also get a lot of scandi stuff.