1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

New people something new?...

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by 19etz55, Apr 2, 2013.

1. 19etz55

19etz55 Member

Seems lately there are a lot of people posting threads that they are NEW to the craft beer world and looking for advice. I've only been watching threads for a little while myself. So just wondering if this happened as much years ago as it seems to be happening now. Are more people coming around to the craft beer world or has this been going on this frequently for awhile now?
  2. fredmugs

fredmugs Member

I think it's growing. I've been a Beers of Fame whore for the last 9 months or so.
    creepinjeeper and ufmj like this.
  3. djsmith1174

djsmith1174 Member

Definitely growing. Gone are the days when you could pretty easily find beers such as BCBS, Cantillon, Hopslam, etc. And while some people think that sucks, it's great for the breweries and should prove a good thing for craft beer lovers in general.
    Saviorself and KhakCane like this.
  4. ColoradicalBEER

ColoradicalBEER Member

5. jmgrub

jmgrub Member

There has definitely been a surge of "Hey I'm new around here, please help me get started" threads lately, though there were always some.
    cavedave and 19etz55 like this.
  6. inchrisin

inchrisin Member

It has to be growing, there's a microbrewery on every corner now.
    19etz55 likes this.
  7. rocdoc1

rocdoc1 Member

Not on any corners around me. And judging by the truckloads of Bud Lite versus the 6 shelves of craft at the grocery store BA's aren't sprouting like our tumbleweeds
  8. jesskidden

jesskidden Member

[​IMG]

Well, prices have gone up somewhat, but that alone doesn't account for a near three-fold increase in dollar sales in the first decade of the new century (and the B.A. claims the dollar total was up again - $10.2 billion for 2012) -
    so either there are "new people" or the same people are drinking a whole lot more beer.
  9. LMT

LMT Member

I see more people in the craft beer sections of Total Wine & Wegmans every week. And, I notice more people in those stores asking for help from employees in selecting beer...especially people who don't seem to drink much beer themselves, but are buying for others (e.g., spouses, etc.).

And there seems to be more fellow unshaven beer drinkers browsing the beer sections that I can look for, to ask opnions about brews I've never had. (I wonder if there's a correlation between number of men with beards and craft beer sales...some economist should look into that.)
    creepinjeeper and 19etz55 like this.
  10. Cubatobaco

Cubatobaco Member

I was a serious wine collector before my plunge into the craft beer world. I believe my conversion came one weekend while visiting DFH. My buddy and I took the tour, tried a lot of their beer, and ate ate the restaurant in Rehoboth. After that, I staterd drawing the correlation to wine (production, aging, passion, etc.) and extremely enjoying it. I find it's easier to open a 12oz bottle that you have 6 of instead of a $100+ bottle that you only have a night or two to enjoy. Plus the camaraderie that accompanies this hobby is tremendous! And, it's a lot easier to enjoy on your own.
  11. SaCkErZ9

SaCkErZ9 Member

True. But here are the days when you can easily find 20 DIPA's, barrel aged stouts, wine barrel aged pale ales, locally made German lagers, etc. I love having a large variety of local stuff available that is fresh and delicious. As delecious as HopSlam and other beers out there are, I can find one that is just as good, cheaper, and fresher any day of the year.
    djsmith1174 and KhakCane like this.
  12. Rekrule

Rekrule Member

Craft beer is in the mist of an eternal september of sorts.
    cbeer88 likes this.
  13. Zhiguli

Zhiguli Member

It's a good thing. We periodically get together with a group of people who have been sloooowly entering craft beer in the last 2 years. One of them along with me have been taking the group on a series of beer summits (we're up to 10 now) where they're exposed to craft beers. These are people who are used to pounding vodka shots and their idea of beer was stella or pilseners before this wave. Once they started buying Chimay from Trader Joe's and speaking highly of it, I was very pleased. They still are narrowminded in their own way (basically preferring belgians) But all of them are basically encourageable and if we hype up a beer enough they'll be all over it (unless it's hoppy, I learned to stop fighting that battle long ago.. they're ALL bitterness pussies)

So last friday we 12 of us got together at a private room of a restaurant the parents of one of them owns... we all brought beers to drink and share... and then the restaurant goes in the fridge and comes out with 3 cases of beer samples of all sorts of variety.... samples for restaurants to choose from for their menu... we proceeded to drink those as well. I learned things on friday about them and myself. I welcome this grown in my friends, even if they'll never be fully receptive and are ok with writing off whole styles of beers.
    nsheehan and 19etz55 like this.
  14. beertunes

beertunes Member

One of the reasons for more "I'm new" threads could be the fact that younger people have spent their whole lives on-line, and are just now getting into beer. But us older folks had probably into craft beer long before we became active on-line, and so had a base of knowledge to use when we did start exploring on-line. Using myself as an example, I've been drinking "craft" beer since the early 90's, and before that would buy any "different" beers that I would randomly see at beer stores. I didn't have to ask about styles, glassware, bar ettiqutte, or much else when I joined BA, because I already knew those things. The newer BA's are probably in their late teens-early 20's and don't have that base to work from.
    PaulQuinn, champ103 and rauchfest like this.
  15. gcamparone

gcamparone Member

Anyone who can't see that craft beer is growing exponentially is either blind or dumb
  16. cbeer88

cbeer88 Member

Yeah, I'm really curious to see how this all plays out. I'm starting to see a lot of elements that point at the "fad/bubble" side of things. 21 year olds buying $9 tulips at bars in a down economy, dusty bombers everywhere, new breweries sprouting up on an almost daily basis, people jumping headfirst into trading/cellaring that probably shouldn't be... These are simply not sustainable things.

I do think craft is here to stay, and will continue growth, just this rate can't keep up.
    19etz55 likes this.
  17. RBassSFHOPit2ME

RBassSFHOPit2ME Member

Agreed but please, no more "what do I drink when I'm sick" threads & "Do you drink in the shower?" threads. :)
    ColoradicalBEER likes this.
  18. Ri0

Ri0 Member

I found something called KBS at the store and bought it because the guy said it was selling fast. Now what?
    creepinjeeper likes this.
  19. Premo88

Premo88 Member

I'm new ... I drank some English ales in college in the 1990s, but I didn't know what an American double IPA was three months ago.

Definitely glad I got back into beer. It seems like I jumped back into a massive pool party that's been raging for years but I knew nothing about.
    creepinjeeper and 19etz55 like this.
  20. Zhiguli

Zhiguli Member

'Exponential' is probably a stretch
    cavedave and jesskidden like this.
  21. Nutwood

Nutwood Member

I can say without reservation that interest in craft beer is growing and that growth is accelerating noticably in my town.
    19etz55 likes this.
  22. Kuaff

Kuaff Member

I think the increased interest in craft beer has fueled, and been fueled by, the establishment of new breweries in just about every corner of the country as well. Here in Alaska, Midnight Sun has only been around since 1995 and has been growing and developing all sorts of new brews since then. There's also Anchorage Brewing Company, to name another of my favorites, which is basically brand new (I think they started up just a couple years ago). Additionally, there used to be only ONE liquor store in my town with a decent selection of craft, but just a few months ago, a new place with an even better selection opened up.

I myself am a youngan who only recently became crazy for craft, and the breweries here in my state really helped me get into it more than any others. You see, up here I really have VERY limited access to many of the highly regarded beers talked about on this site which are from the lower 48. Pliny, KBS, Parabola, Heady Topper, Three Floyds stuff... I could go on and on... none of that stuff EVER makes it up here. It's really miraculous that I can occasionally find something like Duvel (I recently saw just two bottles on the shelf and snatched both, hehe!)

I guess what I'm saying is that I can't stress enough how important it is to have craft breweries in your locality when you live in the middle of nowhere. My close proximity to Alaskan breweries not only gives me increased access to their beers, but also cheaper prices for them than the ones from out-of-state that have to be shipped way up here. And when I can't find the best craft beers from other parts of the country, I can cling to my Midnight Sun brews (which I love, by the way) like a shipwrecked sailor holds onto a piece of driftwood in a vast, barren sea.
  23. frazbri

frazbri Member

We also had books from Michael Jackson to help guide us, but yeah, lots of trial & error in the early days.
  24. Nutwood

Nutwood Member

From zero to this, in two years...

About two years ago a couple of places opened that served really good line-ups of craft beer, with another opening one year ago this week. Previous to this the best you you could get in a bar or restauraunt was Guinness, Bass, Sam Adams, or the equivalent. To be fair, the liqour stores had a good selection.

The latter is Mellow Mushroom, just 7 blocks from my house. Here is what they are serving up this Saturday at a music & beer event, and this does not include the outdoor beer truck:

11:00AM - Founders KBS bottle & Founders Bolt Cutter bottle release (very limited!)
    12:00PM - Against the Grain Green Dragon (Draft), Country Boy Barrel Aged Black Gold (Draft)
    1:00PM - 3 Floyds Hour: Dreadnaught (Draft), Zombie Dust (Draft), Brian Boru (Draft)
    2:00PM - Ommegang Hour: Iron Throne (Draft)/ Gnomegang (Draft)
    3:00PM - Bell’s Hopslam (Draft)
    4:00PM - Sour Hour: St. Louis Gueuze Fond Tradition (Draft), Bockor
    Bellegem Bruin (Draft), Freigiest & Jester King Sauer Power (Draft)
    5:00PM - Breckenridge Vanilla Porter aged in Willett Barrels (Draft)
    6:00PM - Dogfish Head Hour: Etrusca (Draft), Positive Contact (Draft), 61 Minute (Draft), Hellhound (Draft) 120 Minute IPA (Bottle - limited!)
    630PM - Green Flash Palate Wrecker (Draft), Dark Horse Double Crooked Tree (Draft)
    7:00PM - Goose Island Bourbon County Stout (Draft)
    7:30PM - De Struise Hour: Ryo Reserva 2008 (Draft), Cuvee Delphine (Draft)
    8:00PM - Stone Old Guardian Vertical Bottle Release - 2010, 2012, 2013 (limited!)
    830PM - Great Lakes Hour: Ohio City Oatmeal Stout (Draft), Black Out Stout 2010 (Draft)

Mellow Mushroom Bowling Green Brews & Tunes
    19etz55 likes this.