New Sam Adams Can Design Available to All Craft Brewers

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by Todd, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (1,700) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member Verified Subscriber

Following Boston Beer Company's announcement that they'll be canning this summer, Jim Koch announced last night to members of the Brewers Association that the they plan to "make the patent-pending design available, without any royalty or license fee, to all craft brewers who would like to use this can." Below is his letter, and here's more on the can design: http://blog.samueladams.com/sam-can/.

guezarka, MilkManX, jbertsch and 13 others like this.
  2. For all the hate or in difference on here for Sam Adams, I must say, I love Jim Koch.

Two weeks ago, at NoTB, he was wielding pitchers of Utopias and now this. I support.

baconman91, guezarka, nawset and 22 others like this.
  3. Say what you will about Sam Adams but the company is fighting for the advancement of craft beer as a whole. From the hop sharong program to wide distribution that promotes visibility and now patent sharing. Their beer is good, their ceo is great.

4. darky

darky Savant (270) South Dakota Apr 16, 2010

I'm on board with this.

Stormfield likes this.
  5. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Advocate (735) Oklahoma Oct 22, 2010

His blog points out that forums for craft beer drinkers had some influence on the decision to can. Good to know that craft brewers hold stock in what Beer Advocates are saying. That's a win in my book!

When I first saw the thread header, I instantly envisioned a can shaped something like the Sam Adams glass. Good guess, lol.

6. lionssoccer13

lionssoccer13 Savant (330) Florida Jun 30, 2011 Verified

Long live Jim Koch!

Metalaero likes this.
  7. Beer advocacy at its finest.

8. kcp85

kcp85 Aficionado (210) Missouri Sep 7, 2012

Even though I don't know him. Jim seems like a hell of a guy. Despite Sam Adams becoming a huge operation. He wants to better the world with better beer.

9. I wonder if having the opening closer to the middle of the can would make it harder to drink directly from the can. Oh well, I'm sure Jim has it figured out. I will buy Boston Lager in cans for golfing, camping etc if the price point is the same.

10. sixerofelixir

sixerofelixir Savant (400) Ohio Oct 27, 2009

Kudos, Jim. I look forward to drinking some canned Boston Lager!

19etz55 likes this.
  11. williamjbauer

williamjbauer Champion (830) West Virginia Jan 17, 2012 Verified

I think the can is a marketing strategy to more directly compete with the big guys. Not to mention others have said canning is cheaper.

12. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

Good for them. While I typically prefer other beers oer SA they're a great company and really put their money where their mouth is when it comes to advancing the craft beer world. Kudos to them. I'll definitely be picking up some cans this summer.

13. BeerLover99

BeerLover99 Advocate (745) Illinois Dec 13, 2008

Outstanding! Well, stated.
    I say it all the time, Sam Adams was one of THE gateway craft breweries for me
    and love how available they are at most restaurants.

Blueribbon666 likes this.
  14. I love Jim. But he always sounds like he's sloshed when he speaks... perhaps he is.

15. nineball

nineball Aficionado (130) New York Mar 19, 2013

well said!
    couldnt agree more!

jtdolla911 likes this.
  16. kcp85

kcp85 Aficionado (210) Missouri Sep 7, 2012

Winter Lager is what got me hooked. They were successful.

17. PieOhMy

PieOhMy Advocate (515) Minnesota Feb 23, 2013

I love cans. Cans over bottles any day. So this is great and all but one question - what does this new can design do for a beer that I'm pouring into a glass anyways? I mean, should I drink Sam (any variety they can) straight from the can? They spent the $ for R&D for a reason and are sharing it ( which is cool) for a reason.

So what's the point of a newly engineered can if not for the beer to be drank from said can?

I not drinkin' most beers from a can, so what does the cans specs. matter?

18. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Poobah (1,430) California Mar 18, 2010 Verified

That's actually pretty neat.

19. Jim just justified the 3 variety, 2 Oktoberfest, 1 Boston Lager, I buy every year. In addition I will buy every bottle of Utopias I can find and multiple limited release bottle's. Thank's Jim!

20. semibaked

semibaked Advocate (720) Kentucky Mar 27, 2007 Verified

Utopias in a Can, what a great idea!

21. LiquidCucumber

LiquidCucumber Savant (375) Ohio Dec 18, 2009 Verified Subscriber

I think they are referring to times when one cannot have a glass handy (see: hiking, camping, fishing, extreme scuba diving). I for one look forward to the day when I can chug some Boston Lager out of an unusual can somewhere in the back county of Colorado...

22. davey101

davey101 Initiate (0) Connecticut Apr 14, 2009

Well put, we're all very lucky to have Koch on our side.

Looking forward to the summer when I can drink some Boston Lag'ahs and SNPA from the can at the beach.

MilkManX and jtdolla911 like this.
  23. Jim is the shit, seriously.

24. Jake1605

Jake1605 Initiate (0) Missouri Nov 24, 2009

I'm all for canning beer, but it sounds like he wants people to drink directly out of it.

25. CurtFromHershey

CurtFromHershey Advocate (505) Minnesota Oct 4, 2012 Verified

Sounds more like he wants people to have that option

FriarTuckInLuck likes this.
  26. Good Guy Jim Koch

27. I nominate this man for the craft beer hall of fame

28. jesskidden

jesskidden Champion (825) New Jersey Aug 10, 2005 Subscriber

Strikes me as kinda petty - especially given the recent controversy over the Brewers Association now-deleted "Non-Craft Brewer Blacklist". He couldn't just say "any small US brewery" (using the "under 6m bbl." B.A. definition) or "any US-owned brewery" (the latter thus disqualifying AB, MC and Genesee)?

I mean, there wouldn't even BE a Boston Beer Company without non-craft breweries like Pittsburgh, Blitz-Weinhard (owned by Heileman and Stroh when SA was contract-brewed there), Genesee, City and Miller. Non-craft breweries BUILT the breweries he now owns in Ohio (Schoenling) and PA (Schaefer). What if they had all said they wouldn't do business with a "craft" brewer?

And (while I'm in a curmudgeonly mode :D I will add cynically), I imagine that the cost of the cans coming from Ball are going to be based somewhat on demand given the economies of scale with such a mass production item as beer cans. So, more breweries using the can will bring down the price.

29. People always ask me why I don't support Abinbev. My answer is that I try to spend my money, as much as possible, on companies that demonstrate behaviors that I believe to be important. Conversely, I try my best to not spend money on companies that demonstrate behaviors I think are hurtful.

This example is why Sam Adams gets my money. Sure they are about making money, every business is, I'm not naive. But some breweries are about making money and helping the brewing community in general. While some breweries are about making money exclusively.

Cheers to you Jim!

jacksback, MilkManX and Stormfield like this.
  30. dhannes

dhannes Savant (405) Wisconsin Feb 14, 2010

Besides the good PR in the craft beer community, Jim also realizes that his biggest competition is the BMC oligopoly that sells most of their products in cans...not only is he trying to get beer drinkers that prefer cans to switch to craft, he's also trying to take away floor space from the big guys. Well played, Jim, well played.

Ford likes this.
  31. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Advocate (735) Oklahoma Oct 22, 2010

Koch is a cool guy. And a smart one too. There's always the "business" side to these things. Others won't have to pay a patent/usage fee for the cans, but they still have to buy them from Koch/Ball, right? Of course they will because it is still a patented design. Even though this can is a cool thing, it will be more expensive. I doubt this new can will take over the craft beer world, but it's design will set it apart when the consumer sees it on the shelf - which is a good thing.

32. More like he expects people to drink directly out of it, so he's striving to make that experience better for them. Most people on this site drink from glassware, but elsewhere people only drink out of a glass if the beer is on draft.

33. rlcoffey

rlcoffey Advocate (500) Kentucky Apr 20, 2004

Then he would have built his own brewery. Its not like every craft brewery at the time started via contract brewing and grows via buying old breweries. Saying there wouldnt be a BBC without them is just silly. Its the route he chose. If that route hadnt been available, he couldnt have taken a different one.

They wanted his money. He wanted their tank space and/or brewery. It was a trade.

In this case, it isnt about selling and only selling to craft breweries. He is giving away his IP to a select group, it isnt business at that point. Okay, it still probably is business, but more about marketing than trade.

tommyz likes this.
  34. rlcoffey

rlcoffey Advocate (500) Kentucky Apr 20, 2004

I know plenty of people not on this site who pour into a glass first.

Way more than I know who drink from the bottle/can directly.

35. jesskidden

jesskidden Champion (825) New Jersey Aug 10, 2005 Subscriber

He didn't think so.;)

BrettHead, kojevergas and bergbrew like this.
  36. And I know way more who drink straight from the bottle/can. And that includes some craft drinkers.

37. if im at home then yeah its glassware but i live on the beach and live an active outdoor life. i cant have glass on the beach and it makes no sense to take out camping or on a boat. most every person i know drinks directly out of a can or bottle(but mostly cans only). im extraordinarily stoked about this way more options for sitting in the sand after a surf session now!

LuckyJohn, ESeab and Ford like this.
  38. dennis3951

dennis3951 Advocate (575) New Jersey Mar 6, 2008 Verified Subscriber

That's why they have Red Solo Cups!

FriarTuckInLuck and rlcoffey like this.
  39. or i can just throw a few cans on ice in my back pack and call it a day, also if im hiking im not trying to carry a rack of solo cups either. im the biggest supporter of cans. better beer easier to travel with

LuckyJohn and willbm3 like this.
  40. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

Yup. Maybe the guy who usually brings a 12 pack of Bud cans to the beach decides to try out a 12 pack of Sam Adams cans (yes there are other canned beers but he probably isn't familiar with them since he isn't into craft). Maybe he likes it and maybe he gets hooked. He might not, but this is another attempt to reach a new market segment as well as providing new options for current craft consumers.

Kudos to Jim for making the gateway into craft a little bit bigger.