New stuff from CBC!

Discussion in 'US - New England' started by NTLOPE, Feb 27, 2013.

1. NTLOPE

NTLOPE Savant (275) Massachusetts Feb 1, 2002

Howdy, all.

Been awhile since I've posted any kind of update regarding the latest out of Cambridge Brewing Co. I know there's always a tightrope to walk between sharing information and pimping the brand.

That said, we're releasing our Spring Training IPA this Friday at the brewpub, and in 22oz. bottles and limited draft throughout MA. You can go here for more info about upcoming beers from the Bottle Project: http://cambridgebrewing.com/about/cbc-bottling-project/

In other news, next week we'll release our latest batch of Three Rings, our Belgian pale ale. Following that will be a DIPA brewed last week with 100% Simcoe "hop hash." This is the sticky resin taken off the hammer mill when hop cones are processed into pellets. There's very little vegetal material, it's all alphas and aromas. Pretty intense stuff! About double-strength compared to Type 90 hop pellets per varietal. This is a first for us, though a few brewers in the Northwest have used hop hash before. They haven't returned my emails or phone calls, so I won't promote their beers by mentioning them by name. ;) We still haven't settled on a name for this one, but we'll likely pour it at the upcoming Extreme Beer Fest. Phil wants to call it Hop Hookah, but I'm always game to get a Phish or Dead reference in there. We'll see. Spock's Brain, anyone?

We've got a fun little new tank coming our way in March - an 8bbl bright tank that's the tallest and skinniest thing ever. Reminds me of me 20 years ago. Ok, I'm not that tall. This will be used almost exclusively for barrel cellar and funky beers, so we'll continue to maintain the funk and the beers from the wood for which we've become known.

In the next couple weeks we'll be brewing our 2013 expression of Banryu Ichi, our sake/beer hybrid. Sake day(s) out on the patio in front of CBC should be a good time. Look for this beer to be released around the middle of May.

And speaking of May, Saturday the 4th will be CBC's 24th Anniversary Party, with a minimum of 24 different CBC beers on tap, killer food, and mayhem. I'm not telling what our special anniversary beer will be this year. Stay tuned...http://cambridgebrewing.com/events/

Ok, that should get me out of pimping for a little while. As always, feedback from the craft beer community is ALWAYS welcome whether it's congratulatory or constructively critical. Thank for readin' this far down the page!

Cheers,
    Will Meyers
    Cambridge Brewing Company

2. kinopio

kinopio Savant (385) Massachusetts Apr 30, 2009

Very excited for the anniversary party. Honey Badger and the 2004 Kriek were awesome last year.

NTLOPE likes this.
  3. ptrc

ptrc Initiate (0) Massachusetts Aug 26, 2011

Wow, really looking forward to the hop hash beer and the two new bottled offerings are great news. What format does the anniversary party take, is it closer to the barleywine fest, or more like the pumpkin fest?

4. I haven't been to either of the fests you're comparing but I went to the Anniversary party last year. It's a very relaxing all day affair. I went around 1pm, I think, and sat outside. It was a gorgeous day and really good time. I think it may of gotten pretty crowded later in the evening but there is bar and food outside so it was pretty easy to get a beer whenever I wanted. Hope to go again this year.

nuggetman likes this.
  5. love it Will - some other naming suggestions might be:

Kung's Keef
    Harpua's Hop Hash
    Henrietta's Hop Hash

6. emannths

emannths Savant (425) Massachusetts Sep 21, 2007

Can I nominate Dubbel Nickels for vastly expanded production? Like, I want to buy cases and drink it every day. I don't think I've ever had an American-brewed Belgian dark ale (dubbel or whatever) that simultaneously had such awesome flavor and yet was so beautifully dry.

Any idea how using hop hash compares to using larger late additions or dry hopping? Just a variation of the hops character? I'm always amazed at how varied the hops characters of various IPAs are despite what seems like a relatively limited playbook of techniques.

7. That DIPA sounds like something I'll have to check out. Can't wait for the anniversary party!

8. ptrc

The Great Pumpkin festival is laid out more like a typical beer festival- they serve the beers from stands that are purchased with tickets, and the back room and patio are cleared out and used as open standing room to accommodate a larger crowd. The Barleywine fest is more similar to a tap takeover with a special menu. Beers are purchased through the bar or servers, and the tables are all left in place. Both are great chances to try some really great beers. From your description, it sounds like the anniversary party is closer to the Great Pumpkin Festival. Good to know, thanks.

9. Keep up the great work Will and crew!

NTLOPE likes this.
  10. It's not like the pumpkin fest. There's extra taps set up on the patio and the inside is set up like any other day. Pours sizes are same as always. Crowd isn't as huge either but it will obviously fill up in the evening.

11. pjl44

pjl44 Initiate (0) Massachusetts Oct 3, 2008

Generally the number of beers on tap corresponds to the anniversary (24th year, 24 beers), so there are some beers you have to get inside, some outside on the patio. They cover a lot of styles and it turns out being a fantastic representation of the many, many things the CBC does well. Hope there's some Rose de Cambrinus kicking around!

12. kinopio

In terms of crowds the Anniversary and Pumpkin festivals are very different. At last years anniversary party you could easily get a table or some stools pretty much all afternoon. No dealing with lines, tickets, etc. I can't think of another event that has such amazing beer yet has such a relaxed atmosphere.

ptrc likes this.
  13. ptrc

Sounds like the best of both worlds, thanks for the info.

Kriek du Cambridge with raspberries sounds delicious. 64 days and counting...

14. How about a Ween reference?

All in all, very exciting. I always look forward to the first run of Spring Training, though hopefully I'll have a chance to have another pint or growler of Big Man before it's gone (I feel like I've barely had any this winter--you guys have been brewing too many other killer beers that I've been drinking!)

15. Damn I miss CBC.

16. Was just thinking, one of the few things I miss since moving out of the city... being able to head to CBC without it being a major trip.

DIPA... Nine Pound Hammer? Greatful dead reference (which, who knows, could allude to the hop hash bit. Maybe.) Hammer reference.

And, just sounds kinda cool.

17. Beerista

Beerista Zealot (95) Massachusetts Sep 11, 2012

The new beers sound great, but I have a bone to pick with you. It was very disappointing not to see Bannatyne's on shelves this year. It's one of the best Scotch ales around. I would drink it from December through March if it were available. Please think about it.

18. WHAT HE SAID.

19. re: DIPA names, how about Banryu Sticky Ichi or Simcoe Sticky Ichi? Or revisit the CBC archives with Dank Nugs II: The Sequel. Sounds like interesting beer, thanks for the post Will.

20. BobCobb

BobCobb Savant (380) Illinois Jul 10, 2012

Wish you guys had a non-sour BA stout or porter as part of the annual offerings.

Edit: I also picked up Bannytyne's last Friday night from the cooler.

Beerista likes this.
  21. They had bottles of it for sale at CBC last week. Maybe they still do.

Beerista likes this.
  22. I've got a Grateful Dead inspired name for the new DIPA. How about New Simcoe Caboose?

OtisCampbell likes this.
  23. Beerista

Beerista Zealot (95) Massachusetts Sep 11, 2012

Thanks for the tip.

24. I'm definitely going to have to make it over to try that DIPA and pick up a growler of Spring Training.

25. NTLOPE

Love the idea of a Ween reference.
    Would be awfully funny to name a beer "You Fucked Up!"

DrewShal9 and FrankLloydMike like this.
  26. NTLOPE

Sorry for disappointing you. We love the Bannatyne's - in fact we saved a few cases and have them available as vintage bottles for sake here at CBC. C'mon in and pick some up!
    Ultimately, the plan for the bottling project is to rotate through different beers each year, and we're only doing 6 single-batch beers each year. Having brewed here at CBC for nearly 20 years (my 20th anniversary is on April Fool's day, coming up. Coincidence?) we've got LOTS of beers we love and would like to see get their moment in the spotlight/bottle.

Don't worry, we'll get the Bannatyne's Scotch Ale in there again.

Thanks and Cheers,
    Will

Auror and pjl44 like this.
  27. NTLOPE

We do! YouEnjoyMyStout is historically a non-sour impy stout. Last year we had one of the barrels go lactic, and I blended it in with the rest to lend a more historical perspective on the style, as in A. le Coq or aged Courage Impy Stout. Unfortunately, this limited the offering's appeal. Next batch of YEM = due out before the anniversary party!

pjl44 and Pahn like this.
  28. NTLOPE

I think the other replies have summed it up. No entry fee, all day event, pay as you go, 24 CBC beers on tap, main bar and patio bar, great food from the kitchen and the patio grill. Very chill event. Hope you can join us!

OtisCampbell and ptrc like this.
  29. Outstanding news ~~~

30. Enjoyed everything I've tried from CBC, keep rockin!

31. Just have to chime in to agree with how great the beers at CBC truly are. Especially the session beers lately. The Rye Rye Rocco in particular is so good right now and so quaffable. My wife is a Brett snob and it scratches her itch for something like RR Sanctification but is more drinkable at 4%. And before that the Misty Mountain Hop was astonishingly flavorful for the size of the beer. Keep up the good work!

32. Right on about the session beers. The Misty Mountain Hop was great--there have been so many killer beers at the CBC lately that I'm having trouble keeping up. Of course, I also love some of the bigger beers, and am glad to see Audacity of Hops getting some regular play.

33. Rye Rye Rocco is f'ing amazing. Like, world class most awesome beer ever amazing. Just a deliciously complex brett bomb.

34. kinopio

Rye Rye Rocco is one of the best beers I've had in awhile. So intense yet drinkable.

35. I have been drinking a ton of Rye Rye Rocco since it came out, I am glad they are bottling Flower Child so I can do a side by side with Flower Power.

36. The barrel aged Higgs Boson was one of the best beers I've tried in the last year or so. Just delicious.

37. Look forward to trying the hammer hash... and Flower Child bottles.

38. NTLOPE

Thanks for the props, errbody!

39. Is rye rye still on?

40. It was on Sunday

jlordi12 likes this.