New to home draft beer

Discussion in 'Home Bar' started by tkhubley, Feb 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tkhubley

tkhubley Initiate (0) Feb 4, 2015 New Mexico

Hey all,

My wife just got me a Nostalgia electronics Kegerator about 3 weeks ago, and I'm having issues with foam and carbonation. All parts are new from the box, but I have to keep the PSI at around 5 in order to get any drinkable beer. I'm using Bud Light as my first keg (not wanting to waste good beer) while getting familiar with things. The beer is drinkable, but lightly carbonated, and if psi is increased it's 90% foam. I live about 4,500 ft above sea level, if that's useful.

Thanks for any help.

#1 tkhubley, Feb 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2015
  2. larryzz13

larryzz13 Initiate (0) Jan 24, 2015 California

I had the same problem, you might have a small leak in your beer line. Also the beer line should be 5 ft long to the tap. Foam should go away.

3. DougC123

DougC123 Savant (1,162) Aug 21, 2012 Connecticut

The search function is your friend as is browsing around. Read one of the recent threads on foam, or pretty much any thread with questions about pressure on home kegeratos. Like this one right below your thread

http://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/issues-with-pressure-on-kegerator.253042/

You need to understand how to balance your system using the temperature of the beer, the volumes of CO2 (2.7 for BL) and the appropriate pressure from a force carbonation chart. Your solution will likely include longer beer line (most start at 10' and cut back from there, I kept line at 10) and a tower cooler to correct first beer foam.

4. tkhubley

How does one go about changing beer lines since it came all put together? Also, the temp in the fridge is sitting around 38 degrees.

#4 tkhubley, Feb 4, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
  5. billandsuz

billandsuz Pooh-Bah (2,023) Sep 1, 2004 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society

where did you buy the kegerator?
    we love to help people get good draft beer done right. the Nostalgia is an economy brand that requires upgrades to make things right. you should talk to your vendor, they sold you an appliance that does properly not do the one thing it is designed to do.

how long is the line that it came with?
    you will need a tower cooler.
    measure the temp of the beer. place a glass of water inside the kegger and let it sit for a few hours. then take the water temp with a good thermometer (very important you use a decent thermometer here). then let us know.

and read up on the forum here, as January is the annual "I got a kegerator for Christmas and it pours foam" marathon of questions.
    Cheers.

Kadonny likes this.
  6. tkhubley

My wife bought it online via bed bath and beyond. I just ordered a 15' line asembley, and a tower cooler. So, here's to hoping it works.

7. DougC123

DougC123 Savant (1,162) Aug 21, 2012 Connecticut

It will work, but will not replace the fact that kegs are not plug and play. You will still have to understand how to balance your system.

8. billandsuz

Pooh-Bah Society

kegerators are without a doubt the Beyond of the Bed and Bath.
    good news with the new line and tower cooler. we can make this work. it will cost time and money though.
    Cheers.

PortLargo and tkhubley like this.
  9. Genuine

Genuine Maven (1,313) May 7, 2009 Connecticut

I bet if you extend your beer line to about 10', you'll notice a dramatic decrease in foam. Try it out and report back.

Kadonny likes this.
  10. tkhubley

Just received all my new parts over the past few days. Waiting for my Sam Adams keg to arrive and then we will try the new lines. Already saw improvement with the tower cooler at the end of first keg.

Kadonny likes this.
  11. Kadonny

Kadonny Pooh-Bah (2,582) Sep 5, 2007 Florida
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

15 foot will be too long, start at 10 and go from there. If your pour is too slow at 10ft, then take a foot off and try it again. I settled on about 8 feet for my system.

billandsuz likes this.
  12. tkhubley

Alright, keg came in today, but I'm not re-setup. Hope to get it tomorrow, but first I need to know how I get this line off, and how do I show the picture I took?

13. billandsuz

Pooh-Bah Society

removing the line from the coupler should be obvious. it can be a pita, but it's not complex.
    removing the line from the shank, in the tower, that's a bit harder. it can be done with regular tools. a recent thread was on this very topic, so check it out. advance warning here, you will curse and very much not enjoy this task.
    it can be very tempting to slice the tube length wise when pulling off of the existing fitting. do this carefully, you can easily slip and cut a wrist or something.

use a blow dryer or very hot water to soften the tubing and it will slip over the barbed fittings a lot easier.
    Cheers.
    edit- Bed Bath and Beyond did not explain any of this? they didn't mention the extra parts you need to buy? the labor to install? that is the bargain Nostalgia, but there is hope yet!

Kadonny likes this.
  14. Kadonny

Kadonny Pooh-Bah (2,582) Sep 5, 2007 Florida
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I always have that picture in my mind of my blade slipping off and cutting my finger off. I try to use a small screwdriver (really small) and get under the edge between the barbs and the line, then pry it off. Once you get it started, you can pry and wiggle it off from there.

15. tkhubley

Alright, everything is off and soaking in the cleaner. Once the wife gets home I'll have her help with the measuring and cuting of the lines. Then, assemble an clean the lines tomorrow before I pickup the keg.

"May the pours be with you."

16. billandsuz

Pooh-Bah Society

very good.
    now is a good time to get your temp dialed in. place a glass of water inside the unit and let it chill. we want to measure that temp. should be 38 after a while. increase or decrease until you get it as close as possible.

tower cooler- check.
    line length- check.
    temp is going to be your next problem to correct.
    Cheers.

17. ravensjeff

ravensjeff Initiate (0) Sep 27, 2013 Maryland

Once you get your equipment issues fixed and understood, you'll be fine. I bought a fairly decent kegerator but still had to replace the 5 ft line it came with (used 10 ft and have never looked back). Other issue I had was a crappy regulator (Replaced with a much better one!!). These 2 issues were on the frustrating side as a beginner. Knowing the proper way to check beer temp and knowing the beer's volume of CO2 should be a standard. Last I remember, I set co2 pressure at 13 psi and beer temp at 37 deg. It's been awhile since I checked since I get great pours every time. This forum greatly helped with advice.

Bad equipment sucks (regulator; very common problem). When this is your problem, get a real good replacement. 5 ft of beer line is not a defect; but 10 ft seemed to be my final answer for perfect pours. And don't read the air temp inside the kegerator; it fluctuates by design (+/- 10 degrees is a good guess). Measure the liquid itself.

I usually have some form of Sam Adams on tap (however I just finished up a 1/2 keg of Fat Tire and will try some Dos Equis Amber next for a change of pace).

Sam Adams also has some nice glasses "Crafted" for better tasting beer drinking. I actually do like them much better then your standard shaped pint glasses.

Nice wife you have there, buying you a kegerator. She sounds like a keeper!!

Kadonny, billandsuz and tkhubley like this.
  18. tkhubley

Yeah, she's a keeper.
    Lines....finally changed. Starting with 8ft. Glass in fridge for temp check, looking forward to having a pint once I tap the keg tomorrow.

19. tkhubley

Mug 'O' Water clocked in at 38 degrees. Keg is in, looking forward to tapping it tomorrow.

20. ravensjeff

ravensjeff Initiate (0) Sep 27, 2013 Maryland

Some of the more experienced people on here may know better, but a good tower cooler is primarily used to get a good 1st pour after keg has sat tapped and idle for a little while. The beer in the line inside the tower cooler gets warmer, causing 1st beer draw excess foam. If all else is good, the problem goes away with the immediate 2nd draw. That is why you check the temp of the 2nd draw; represents actual beer temp in the keg. If you are still getting excess foaming with your new setup, my guess would be the regulator. Good luck. And don't give up or get frustrated. Many on this site are experts who like to help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.