1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

New to trading - seeking infos on '13 Fou Foune trade value

Discussion in 'Beer Trading General / Help' started by Ragnampiza, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Ragnampiza

Ragnampiza Member

Hopefully this thread is in the appropriate section, I've made a bit of research but I couldn't find a similar one..

As the title say, I've never traded beer before, even tho I'm an active lurker of various beer forums and blogs. I had the chance to acquire multiple bottles of '13 Fou Foune, and I bought more than one thinking that there might be some interest in them.

Being in Europe (and considering that I have to ship first), I realized how hard would be to trade for fresh IPA/BIPA/DIPA, so I tought I could try to obtain some imperials stouts that I always wanted to try, and I can not get here. This is pretty much my want list of that particular style, in order of preference/importance..

AleSmith Speedway Stout Kopi Luwak
    Goose Island BCS Coffee
    Three Floyds Baller Stout
    Surly Darkness
    Cigar City Marshal Zhukov
    Deschutes The Abyss
    Three Floyds Moloko Plus
    Evil Twin Even More Jesus and Imperial Biscotti Break
    AleSmith Speedway
    Great Divide Yeti (Chocolate oak aged and Espresso oak aged)
    Stone Espresso IRS

I'm aware that some of them were (are ?) limited and quite rare, while some others -l ike for example both the Evil Twin and Great Divide or the regular Speedway - should be easy to find, if I'm not mistaken...

So, in your opinion, what would be a fair trade for 1 or 2 bottles of Fou Foune ? Should I just post the FT/ISO thread and wait for eventual offers ?

And last question, are there many European traders (and USA traders that regularly trade overseas), or I don't have many chances of finding someone that could trade with me ?

Apologies for the "not so perfect english", and thanks in advance for the help.
    mythaeus likes this.
  2. DanH11

DanH11 Member

You have a range beers there and most are limited shelf (Darkness and baller are probably the most limited listed and both are doable). You could probably ask for two of any of those because when fou foune is sold in the US, it costs twice as much as those beers.

Bigger issue is finding people who will ship international, but given what you are offering and asking for, you will find someone to do it.
    Ragnampiza and mythaeus like this.
  3. mythaeus

mythaeus Member

Yeah, it will be tough finding someone who are willing to ship to Italy. I just did a quick shipping estimate using FedEx and USPS (most people won't go through USPS). Flat rate international large box which could fit 2 to 4 of those beers you're asking for would be $77. FedEx International Economy is twice as much for a conservative 6x6x6" 6lbs estimate using a FedEx account (discounted rate). You may be able to find someone in the Europe regional forum that will be visiting Italy and willing to trade: http://beeradvocate.com/community/forums/europe.20/
    Ragnampiza likes this.
  4. tinypyramids

tinypyramids Member

yeah, if you had a US shipping address, your inbox would be so full you couldn't even stand it with your ISOs. international shipping is a pain though, and from what i understand from my discussions with people who send a lot of international packages (non-beer), the italian post system isn't terribly reliable...
    Ragnampiza likes this.
  5. Ragnampiza

Ragnampiza Member

Thanks a lot for the helpfull replies!

Just to be sure that I've understood, are both Speedway Kopi Luwak and BCS Coffee "easier" to obtain than Darkness and Baller ? Because the first two are without a doubt my bigger wants...

Yeah, I could see why... Without posting a real ISO/FT thread I already received a few offers! :eek:

It's true, the Italian postal system it's not known to have a good reputation at all.. but as a collector in another hobby, I received a few dozens of international packages (with the majority from the USA) and to be honest only once I haven't seen the package delivered... But I can understand that shipping beers could be much more difficult.

Thanks again to everyone for your help!
  6. mythaeus

mythaeus Member

I think they are equally easy/difficult depending on your timing. I only got into trading the last couple of months and have seen Darkness and BCBS Coffee in more trades than Speedway KL and Baller. Darkness was just released so there was a surge in trading for that. BCBS Coffee will be out at the end of November so you will see a surge in trading for that. Both seem to surface relatively quickly if someone is trading using good stuff, especially Fou Foune.

I'm just starting to see Baller in more trades, but haven't seen much of Speedway KL out there.

You will see a surge trades in Marshal Zhukov trades tomorrow and days after. There is a release coming and you can buy online. The Abyss is typically easy to find through trades and I believe it will also be out shortly. I don't know much about Moloko Plus, but I've seen it once in a while.

Imperial Biscotti Break, AleSmith Speedway, Great Divide Yeti (Chocolate oak aged and Espresso oak aged), Stone Espresso IRS are relatively easy to find for us here in the Mid-Atlantic area. I actually have all 4 in my possession and really didn't have to look hard for them. I can still get them off the shelves at local shops in my area.

Best of luck with your trades. I wish I was going to Italy soon. If I ever go, will be sure to look you up and hook you up with some stuff. My wife and I go to Europe almost every year because we have families there, but never made it to Italy recently.

Cheers!
  7. tinypyramids

tinypyramids Member

let me put it this way. if you had a US shipping address, a single fou foune would land both of those in a second.
  8. DanH11

DanH11 Member

Unfamiliar with how kopi speedway is released, but bcbs coffee is annual, distributed, and seems to be in the largest numbers of the bcbs variants (will be in 4 packs this year). Darkness is annual but brewery only. Baller was 1 time release at the anniversary party in 2011 (and extras were sold at the following dark lord day - before some smart ass tries to correct me)
  9. DenverBeerDrinker

DenverBeerDrinker Member

Someone is still going to correct you because I believe Darkness is sold at stores also ;)
  10. DanH11

DanH11 Member

Fair enough
  11. Maltytasker

Maltytasker Member

You might want to ask on the Benelux forum about shipping .There are a lot more trades between here and Belgium than Italy .

On the Baller stout , I tried it and it was OK . You should try for Bell's Black Note . A way better stout and should be easier to trade for .
  12. sunnrider

sunnrider Member

I´ve been told that using the US postal service is cheaper for shipping to Europe.
    However, the cost does still put people off.

I put up a Cantillon FT IP a few months ago in New York (my vacation) and was flooded with offers for the regular bottles. Within about half an hour I had traded away a suitcase full of belgians for americans.
    gory4d likes this.
  13. DanGolfs86

DanGolfs86 Member

FWIW I traded a 2013 Matt 1:1 with a 2013 Fou
  14. marqoid

marqoid Member

FWIW Kopi speedway has been sold once 4 bottle limit brewery only, I believe around 3000 bottles.
  15. jdhowe

jdhowe Member

I hate the threadjack, but would also hate to make a third "Fou Foune" thread on the first page of this subforum...

How much should I expect to have to add on a 750 of St. Lam (2012 cork) to land a 750 of Fou Foune (anything moderately fresh)? Would St. Lam + Beat 006 do it? Be too much? I just don't have a good sense for the disparity between various "tiers" of Cantillon bottles... any insight would be awesome, because searching ISO/FT didn't give me a great sense of how the relative economies of these bottles are.
  16. Rotero24

Rotero24 Member

Normally, I would say you are offering too much $ wise but the issue with your FT is that most people that have FF have access to St. Lam. Maybe switching the bottle for something else like a BCBS Variant or other brewery (rarer) sours. Another issue you will face is the value of Beat since right now its trading almost like a shelf beer... I would recommend holding onto your beats for some time to pass. I was able to get a FF late last year for Beat B5 + Framboise for cure + Temptation. Hope this helps!
    jdhowe likes this.
  17. Jared_A

Jared_A Member

Damn you got a fou Foune for 1 Matt? Hook me up with that trader:).....I'm really jealous right now I'd give up 2 for 1 probably....
  18. HighLowJack

HighLowJack Member

disagree with bolded, for a few reasons

- I think people in the US don't understand how cheap Cantillon is in Europe. particularly at the brewery most bombers are around 10 Euro

- how much would Darkness cost if it showed up in Europe? It sure wouldn't be $25

- international shipping makes is pretty unlikely anybody is ship $50 worth of Darkness and then pay $60+ for shipping to get a single bottle of Fou Foune. it's far easier and faster (and cheaper) to just wait until somebody on mybeercellar sells a bottle (there is one on there now for $100 including shipping).

I think if you do an intl trade, it needs to be $4$ based on actual prices paid
    bauermj likes this.
  19. DanGolfs86

DanGolfs86 Member

Yeah I was in London and saw a bottle of BA Big Sound for $45, I think it's somewhere closer to $20-$25 here in the states (price check please)
  20. sunnrider

sunnrider Member

I´ve traded a few FF and other Cantillons. To offset the cost of shipping I only ask for a reasonable bottle for bottle trade. 100$, even with shipping from Europe is a rip off but if you buy on that site you either have too much money or too little sense or both.
  21. Outside of the brewery it's not that cheap. The only place I know of in the UK that had 2013 Fou Foune was selling it at £14/$23. I saw similar prices in France and the Netherlands. As it happens last week I swapped a FF for Darkness as part of an IP trade here in London. Both parties were very happy.

But it goes the other way too. I don't have a clue what a lot of stuff costs in the US. While doing a recent $4€ trade (HF for Loons) I was surprised how cheap the VT stuff was.
  22. HighLowJack

HighLowJack Member

right there is a huge range from $40 / bottle for the big Bruery stuff down to $3 / 12 ounce for non BA stuff (Founders Breakfast, Founders Imperial, Bells Expedition, etc)