1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

New Trappist Brewery from Austria

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by Aexoonge, May 23, 2012.

1. Aexoonge

Aexoonge Savant (255) California Mar 2, 2012

2. Damn, new Trappist brewers are popping up all over the place.

3. Aexoonge

Gotta catch em all! :D

DMRattigan likes this.
  4. BeerSingh

BeerSingh Savant (415) India Jul 25, 2009

The "Eight" Great

5. What are those 40 barrel .. well whatever the hectoliter equivalent is .. fermenters?

6. I have made contact with some of the people there and i am setting up a trade for Westvleteren beer....should be fun when they compare their beer against the best of the Westvleteren monks!

beertunes likes this.
  7. Aexoonge

:)

8. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,135) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

Cool!
    /me was born in Vienna.

9. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Poobah (1,030) Colorado May 19, 2005

10. mjtierney2

mjtierney2 Savant (465) Germany Jul 31, 2011

Has anyone had a chance to try the Gregorius yet? A friend of mine who has family in Austria said he'd place an order for me (they will deliver to an Austrian address from what I can tell). He said they already couldn't meet demand and were "sold out" for the time being.

beertunes likes this.
  11. With all the Trappist breweries popping up now, I don't see how this is sustainable. Any zealot with a rosary and a balding crown is setting up shop nowadays. The Trap beer bubble is going to implode in on itself. You heard it here first.

zencigar and jesskidden like this.
  12. spointon

spointon Advocate (560) Illinois Nov 25, 2007

That may be, but I am still excited as hell about this!

13. JimDH

JimDH Aficionado (215) Kentucky Feb 7, 2011

Engelszell Abbey: founded in 1293, reoccupied in 1925. Newcomers.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engelszell_Abbey

66jzmstr likes this.
  14. jomobono

jomobono Savant (400) Massachusetts Mar 12, 2012

First one in the United States opens up in Spencer, MA soon. St. Joseph's Abbey.

DrewShal9 likes this.
  15. I'm lazy and only glanced through all that, so can anyone tell me how long they have been making beer for?

16. JimDH

JimDH Aficionado (215) Kentucky Feb 7, 2011

Product launch was in May. They've been making liquor for a few years, apparently. The first beer, a dark triple, was supposed to hit the U.S. by now. But if, as an earlier poster says, they're struggling to meet demand it may be a while. I look forward to trying it.

17. MrDanno96

MrDanno96 Savant (370) Ohio Aug 26, 2009

Monks know how to brew beer—especially if they have been given the Trappist stamp of approval. I would love to try this, but I doubt they will be able to get any significant supply of beer to the US for quite some time. I hope they prove me wrong!

18. smakawhat

smakawhat Poobah (1,170) Maryland Mar 18, 2008

The world needs more tripels, this make me happy! :)

19. I have one. Has anyone else had a taste or will I have to pop its cherry for the sake of the greater BA community?

20. I bought six of the first batch and five of them i gave away to some of my good beerfriends i have. The sixt will be opened at a tasting because i want to share this beer with others. This is a link btw of the first pour of the beer in Austria:

Thijs

Zimbo likes this.
  21. Superb post Thijs. A couple of questions though about the video and the beer.

1) I see that those taking beer from the cask/keg were using either an enamelled stein or a tall sided glass. Unusual for a Trappist beer but perhaps the norm for Austria. Is there a particular style or type of glassware which is best for this beer?

2) Six bottles from the first batch? Awesome. Is there any way I might tell which batch mine is from?

22. The glassware you see is typical for Austria Craig. I don't think they have expierience in this. I would use your Westvleteren glass for this one.

You can not see what batch you have if i am correct. I got the bottles from a Dutch beerfriend who was in the neighbourhood when the first batch was sold, that's why i know this....

Thijs

23. Remember this is an austrian bock variation, not a belgian recipe. Therefore traditional trappist glassware may not be the best way to drink this beer. "Trappist" is simply term for monks who follow the rule of st.benedict, but in common jargon it's associated with a style of beer.. beer made by for the most part belgian monks in a monestary.

These monks aren't belgian :p so one would assume an austrian monk would create a variation on a regional beer. That all being said, for a bock style beer, what's pictured in the video above seems pretty on point, and not too unusual :).

Zimbo likes this.
  24. crossovert

crossovert Champion (790) Illinois Mar 29, 2009

I dk why they have to produce belgian styles, just give me a good helles.

matthaslaservision likes this.
  25. orsulacp

orsulacp Savant (380) Pennsylvania Dec 19, 2002

When is this one opening?

26. drocpsu

drocpsu Savant (255) New Hampshire Dec 25, 2006

isn't their first beer to be released to be a "dark tripel" though? That seems belgian(ish) to me.

27. sommersb

sommersb Advocate (580) Tennessee May 25, 2010

Maybe "dark" and "triple" do not equate with a Belgian Tripel, though. I found this site that (through translation from the German) says the beer Gregory is a "triple-bock" beer: http://www.nachrichten.at/oberoesterreich/innviertel/art70,919048

28. " tripel " is just a reference to the number of times the beer has been fermented, and in the case of a tripel it's 3 times. A traditional belgian tripel cuts back on candy sugar and ups the hop profile, but that's a "belgian tripel". A dark tripel simply means they've taken a style (with a heavily roasted barley malt) and fermented it 3 times. And in this case decided to throw honey, local to the monestary, in for colour, flavor and texture. it seems to me its the method of a quad, minus one fermentation process, and replacing candy sugar with honey.. sort of :p

as far as it being a bock style, i'm still furiously trying to find the article i read that said it was... to no avail

29. from Dubbels, tripels and Xs -

"Yes, I cringe when I hear the guy at the beer store explain to a customer that Tripel Karmeliet is “triple fermented.” Like a tripel re-fermented in the bottles is different than a dubbel . . . sigh."

According to the book Brew Like A Monk (by the above author)

CelticAleMan likes this.