1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

New Victory Saison For Spring!

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by blivingston1985, Feb 11, 2013.

1. From the Mid-Atlantic Rep for Victory:

Esteemed Purveyors of Craft Ales,

I’m thrilled to announce that March 1st will mark the launch of our brand new spring seasonal, Victory Swing Session Saison.

Swing represents a blend of American and European brewing traditions, made with both whole flower US-grown and German noble hops, and an heirloom Belgian farmhouse yeast strain. Swing is brewed with wheat, rye, oat and barley malt, as well as peppercorns and lemon zest, to evoke an herbaceous, bright, citric and robust yet eminently refreshing character at 4.5% ABV.

Sounds like it needs to be March.

SadMachine, Onenote81, Morey and 4 others like this.
  2. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (760) New York Oct 24, 2010

Yowza. If it's as good as it sounds, I'll be a regular buyer. Wonder if it's the same yeast as Helios?

3. SeaOfShells

SeaOfShells Savant (350) California Feb 22, 2011

I want to like more Victory beers. I really do, but as of right now I only truly like Prima Pils.

chuckstout, YogiBeer and mattbk like this.
  4. My first thought was, "wonder how much this will be like helios?" I'm hoping it has a totally different profile. Almost half the alcohol should make quite a difference to start.

5. Will this be in bottles?

6. Yes. 6-packs.

7. Cheers to Victory for making a low abv, easy drinking beer rather than a spring double IPA, 8% saison, or 7% rye IPA. Can't wait to try it.

8. Oh yea. I love Helios and I love the 12oz size. This sound like it could be really good and let's hope it falls in line with their regular line of price.

Enjoy

9. fmccormi

Yeah. I feel like nobody wants to release an actually reasonable-level ABV saison in 6-packs that doesn't suck ass. Sofie is wonderful, but she is not a cheap date.

10. mattafett

mattafett Savant (465) Iowa Mar 9, 2009

I'll trade for some. What is the anticipated cost??

11. Yeah, neither is Pepe.

fmccormi likes this.
  12. Could not agree more. this is the best news I've heard in some time. if it lives up to helios and is reasonably priced i'll be stoked! GO VICTORY

13. cjoc83

cjoc83 Savant (470) Pennsylvania Jul 31, 2010

Victory beers are on the cheaper end of the scale (at least here in the Philly area), so I wouldn't imagine a sixer being more than maybe $12? This is a total guestimation, but sixers of Prima Pils, Hop Devil, and Golden Monkey are all $10.99 at my local Wegmans (which might sound a little pricey to some for being "on the cheaper end of the scale", but craft is a little more expensive here compared to other markets).

RobertColianni likes this.
  14. That's about what I'm paying here in NC.

15. Case cost is around $32 for all the regular basics. I paid under $40 for a case of Helios. Seasonals are around $40 but a low abv I would hope brings the saison in around $35.

Enjoy

16. dertyd

dertyd Savant (400) California Mar 23, 2010

Wish it was march right now!!!!!!!

17. Most of the lower abv beers from Victory are $8-9 per six pack around here. This would hopefully be in the same range.

18. Helios is awesome and the higher abv was surprising to me the first time I had it. Hopefully this will taste similar.

19. cjoc83

cjoc83 Savant (470) Pennsylvania Jul 31, 2010

I would hope so, but keep in mind it is a seasonal, which tend to be a little pricier. Knowing Victory, I'm sure it will be reasonably priced regardless, and I can't wait to try it!

20. Super excited for this.

21. BB1313

BB1313 Champion (780) Ohio Jul 16, 2009

Helios was awesome at $2.99/bomber. It's still to this day one of the cheapest bombers I've come across. It was a good beer too.

CaptainPiret and blivingston1985 like this.
  22. First off, what do the mean by "heirloom yeast strain"?

Also, I wish we would hear more about lower ABV beers. This sounds great, can't wait to try some!

23. fmccormi

Yep. The more I think about this, the more excited I am for it. Helios isn't outstanding by any means, but it's a damn solid saison for the price—maybe a better value than it is a perfect representation of the style. But I've said for years that it'd make one hell of a sixer, if only they'd put it out that way.

If they're using a similar yeast strain, hopping it with whole cone German and American flowers, and adding lemon zest and peppercorns, this could be a reaaaaaaaaally good beer. Plus the size makes it sessionable and the price (I'm assuming ≤ $12/ sixer) makes it a reasonable buy. So, this could be really incredible news.

I'm still anxiously awaiting details on Ommegang's summer seasonal this year, Fleur de Houblon. 12oz 4-packs, 6.8% ABV, Ommegang house yeast in primary and secondary, plus whole cone Bravo hops. These two beers could make my Spring and Summer.

24. I would assume heirloom means an older, lets say antique, yeast strain?

25. They're probably using the Dupont or Blaugies strains instead of the Wyeast French Saison that everyone seems to use these days.

FatBoyGotSwagger likes this.
  26. Geuzedad

Geuzedad Savant (475) Arizona Nov 14, 2010

Sounds like a great summer session beer out back by the pool when it's 110 in the shade! Definitely picking some up.

27. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Initiate (0) New York Jan 11, 2013

I will drink this all over my face.

Shame about the artificial sweetener look of the label.

evilgenius1917 likes this.
  28. denver10

denver10 Champion (890) Kentucky Nov 17, 2010

Hope it makes it out to Colorado. We definitely need more saisons available in six pack form.

29. Blanco

Blanco Advocate (500) Pennsylvania Oct 11, 2008

I'm totally excited for this. While I definitely like some of the breweries that are trying to elevate and do more with saisons, a nice session-able, available one will be very welcome. Not all of them need to be inoculated with Brett, aged in wine barrels and spiced with Jesus' tears. If it's good I'll be buying it all spring.

beerindaglass, seanchai and fmccormi like this.
  30. Blanco

No need to speak in the past. It's still around.

blivingston1985 likes this.
  31. fmccormi

Amen. Though if Jesus-tears beers could be available at ~$12/ sixer, I'd probably buy it.

32. Blanco

Oh don't get me wrong. I love me some Jesus tears too. not hating on artisan saisons.

fmccormi likes this.
  33. BB1313

BB1313 Champion (780) Ohio Jul 16, 2009

I know, but I rarely see it at $2.99 anymore. It's usually about a dollar or two more nowadays, which is still a great deal.

34. Not a fan of Helios but I really enjoy most of Victory's other offerings and I love saisons. I'm looking forward to trying this in the spring.

35. Morey

Morey Advocate (530) Pennsylvania Dec 30, 2007

Have you had Red Thunder or Oak Horizontal yet? They're both amazing and underrated IMO. Cheers

36. Starkbier

Starkbier Savant (270) Maryland Sep 19, 2002

Swing will be released in all markets that get Victory beers.

denver10 likes this.
  37. Starkbier

Starkbier Savant (270) Maryland Sep 19, 2002

Come visit sometime, with 24 taps Im sure you would find a lot more to your liking. Braumeister Pils would rock your boat Im sure.

seanchai likes this.
  38. Looking forward to trying this one.

39. SeanPaulZ

SeanPaulZ Zealot (80) Maryland Jan 19, 2013

In Maryland the first tier pricing (Hopdevil and Prima Pils) run between $9.99 and $10.99 on the shelf. I'd imagine the pricing is somewhere in that range versus the tier 2 (Golden Monkey and Hop Wallop) generally run $12.99.