1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

New White Whale List

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by SpeedwayJim, Nov 23, 2012.

1. SpeedwayJim

SpeedwayJim Advocate (700) New York Jun 19, 2009

Hey All,

I know not everyone uses it and everyone has their own opinions on it but the white whale list that I circulated a while ago was horribly out-of-date. Here is the new one:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AifslJZ4UhwxdE9ta0JVQ3A5bXpXa2FHQWFRQTAyWEE#gid=0

This was based on my old list and the compiled information from 7 rounds of the Unwanted Whales BIF (Thanks Cam!!) so hopefully it is more "accurate".

For those that don't care, hopefully this provides at least a fun/entertaining discussion and its not my intention to offend anyone, just to provide something that people can reference for whatever reason they may want. For those that do, obviously, the rankings are not set in stone but it is how many people seem to "value" these beers in relation to others.

Cheers all and Happy Thanksgiving!!
  2. abecall98

abecall98 Advocate (530) California Aug 11, 2007

Jim, this is not going to be used, but it will sure be funny to watch people fight over which beers are/should be on that list.
    codysjb, vacax and yeahnatenelson like this.
  3. claaark13

claaark13 Advocate (635) Indiana Nov 29, 2007

Sweet, Stille Nacht Reserva 2000 is no longer a whale! I guess I'll just offer up something rare like a Rare to get it.
    Gonzoillini and aasher like this.
  4. SpeedwayJim

You mean "friendly discussion" ;).
    abecall98 likes this.
  5. drewba

drewba Savant (365) Illinois Nov 14, 2009

6. Jeffo

Jeffo Advocate (630) Netherlands Sep 7, 2008

I know you put a lot of time and effort into this list Jim. For better or worse, thanks for doing your bit to make this place a little more fun! I know I always get a kick out of stuff like this.

Cheers,
    Jeff
    cosmicevan and FUNKPhD like this.
  7. Pahn

Pahn Advocate (695) New York Dec 2, 2009

while i (repeatedly) disagree with the idea that any beer has a static / objective value, rough glance at this list looks pretty accurate to me. (shrug)
  8. How does the Bourbon Vanilla DL get ranked above the Brandy Vanilla?
  9. Armand and Tommy is a white whale?
    aasher and claaark13 like this.
  10. SpeedwayJim

I don't know either but that's how they were often ranked in the Unwanted Whales BIFs.
    eyeenjoybeer likes this.
  11. SpeedwayJim

No?
    RyanCave, DocBrewsky, tewaris and 6 others like this.
  12. SteelersX

SteelersX Savant (420) New York Jan 30, 2011

I'm bummerd because I only have 5 on this list.
    I have tried more though

Metal!
  13. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

Instawales, bro.

Incidentally, I really wish I had bit the bullet and brought more of that back from Denmark.
  14. I'll be damned, I feel so special having whalez now!
  15. SpeedwayJim

Again, a lot of the list is based on how the Unwanted Whales BIFs turned out so it is what it is.

And for those hating... no one is forcing you to use them... no one is even suggesting you use them. But for those that do or are circulating the link, I'm just saying this is a more "accurate" version based on some concrete results from a bunch of BIFs.
    tewaris likes this.
  16. waltersrj

waltersrj Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2010

Jim,
    I love these lists of yours and often use it in concurrence with my own bias. Works out well! Actually having a WW Tasting this coming Saturday with a TON of beers on the first list! Ill lyk how it turns out!

Cheers,
    Ryan
  17. drgarage

drgarage Initiate (0) California Aug 19, 2008

Can I make a suggestion? Describe the beers and their history in another column. All of these beers are rated the way they are based on a combination of rarity, history, and ingredients. For example, I know almost nothing about LH12. The only reason I read these lists is to understand why these things are as sought as they are...
  18. SpeedwayJim

A really good suggestion. Though I'm not the best person to do this as there are a ton of people that know a lot more about the history of these beers (callmemickey, jaxson, master ski, etc.) than I do.
  19. Thanks for this, it's a good piece of reference information and makes for some fun discussion. Ignore the haters.
    RyanCave and tut2528 like this.
  20. bauermj

bauermj Savant (475) Illinois May 4, 2009

I'd check the recordbooks again..The most recent Unwanted 7, brandy vanilla 7 spots ahead of bourbon vanilla. This is the only unwanted where both have appeared.

Also, it's (brandy vanilla '11) older, better, fewer bottles, and was more under the radar. I think it trades pretty close w/ Pappy DL '11

edit: I would just move Bourbon Vanilla down in the list if it were me
  21. dvelcich

dvelcich Savant (330) Illinois Feb 6, 2008

66 out of 101 baby! More if you count different older vintages.
  22. claaark13

claaark13 Advocate (635) Indiana Nov 29, 2007

I'm not certain that the unwanted whale BIFs should be taken all that seriously. In your defense, you don't have a whole lot to go on.
    leschkie and aasher like this.
  23. abecall98

abecall98 Advocate (530) California Aug 11, 2007

You don't say?
  24. AleWatcher

AleWatcher Advocate (720) Illinois Jan 25, 2009

41/101.
    Not bad.
  25. TurdFurgison

TurdFurgison Champion (775) Ohio May 29, 2005

70 for me, actually more if you count the separate listings for bottle sizes.
  26. AleWatcher

AleWatcher Advocate (720) Illinois Jan 25, 2009

Count them. They are seperate listings...
  27. TurdFurgison

TurdFurgison Champion (775) Ohio May 29, 2005

Fixed it, and made an effort for a more accurate count. I want to make it higher still, to account for various vintages (i.e. each Cable Car year, each Beatification release, multiple years of pre-2000 Cantillon Gueuze & Kriek, etc), but I'm only sticking to individual rows on the spreadsheet.
  28. vande

vande Savant (485) Illinois Jan 26, 2007

29. digita7693

digita7693 Advocate (575) Germany Jan 19, 2010

Where would dbl ba Zhukov fit in there, out of curiosity.
  30. SpeedwayJim

Incidently if someone wants to message me and tell me a little bit about the history of some of these beers so I can put the info on the list (and credit them of course) that would be cool too.
    drgarage and eyeenjoybeer like this.
  31. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

You can probably go ahead and slide Cherry Rye in there about 15th or so....just saying. ;)
  32. Man, you said it!
    MordorMongo likes this.
  33. Anonymous1

Anonymous1 Savant (420) Illinois Mar 19, 2012

How is 2006 Kate on that list? From everything I've heard, any Kate pre-2009 or pre-2010 is a drain pour.
  34. SpeedwayJim

No one told me that taste had to have anything to do with desireability ;)
  35. AgentZero

AgentZero Advocate (555) Illinois Jul 19, 2009

90/however many are there.

I disagree with any list that makes the beers I am currently holding worth less than the beers I am trying to trade them for!
  36. drgarage

drgarage Initiate (0) California Aug 19, 2008

Just 8. So many more to go after...
  37. How does 50/50 07 old Fitzgerald fall from 22 to 82? Just curious
    ehammond1 likes this.
  38. AgentZero

AgentZero Advocate (555) Illinois Jul 19, 2009

Being re-released. Coincidentally, got to drink a bottle of the the 1st release a couple weeks ago. Was surprisingly great.
    Gonzoillini likes this.
  39. I also drank a bottle a couple of weeks ago. And how does the fact that it is being re-released make the original batch less rare?
    ehammond1 likes this.