1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

New White Whale List

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by SpeedwayJim, Nov 23, 2012.

1. AgentZero

AgentZero Advocate (565) Illinois Jul 19, 2009

Not less rare, just less desired.

ehammond1 likes this.
  2. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

Solid 64. Surprised Framboos re-release is so high.

aasher likes this.
  3. I've only had 8 of them. What a failure I am.

4. #68 and #87 For me
    What I am impressed with is how high Troegs scored on the list ...Way to go !!!

5. Funny that several beers brewed in 2012 are considered 'white whales'.

Seems like a bit of 'Flavor of the week' ?

6. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

I've had 0 from the list.

Such a frakking amateur.....

7. surlytheduff

surlytheduff Savant (380) Michigan Jul 22, 2010

020202 drops off the list after next month, right?

sarro and chardlogic like this.
  8. penniwisdom

penniwisdom Initiate (0) California Sep 10, 2010

Where's the king Henry on this list, bro?

Shmeal and BlastBeats like this.
  9. You forgot to add Heady Topper, Hill Farmstead regulars and Marshall Zhukov. From the trading forums it appears these all trade for Rare+ these days. (Insert Sarcasm font here).

thome50 and AgentZero like this.
  10. Tnudish

Tnudish Initiate (0) Wisconsin Feb 16, 2012

70/103. Question on some of the Cantillon one offs: why do you have beers like LH12, Spuyten Duyvil, the Reed Gueuzes, and Pikkulinnun and not other bar only Cantillon releases? Because some of those bottles have made their way into circulation? If so, Bourgogne, Tyrnilambic, La Diernere Cuvee 89, and Pinot D"Aunis need to be on there. Feestbier needs to be on there somewhere as well.

11. AgentZero

AgentZero Advocate (565) Illinois Jul 19, 2009

Some of those are so rare, no one knows to want them.

12. mulder1010

mulder1010 Initiate (0) Australia Aug 29, 2008

A&T? Really?

aasher likes this.
  13. gklover1

gklover1 Savant (255) Colorado Oct 18, 2009

Those of you naming XX/103...this is how many u tried, I hope, not how many you have in ur cellar currently, right?

*braces for possible pants changing

14. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

Tried 51 or 52, lost count. Have 11 on list, 13 if you count multiples. My penis is not very huge. Bigger than some, smaller than a lot. Gets job done (or at least that is what I tell myself).

15. Along with everything else. The world is ending.

AgentZero likes this.
  16. SpeedwayJim

SpeedwayJim Advocate (700) New York Jun 19, 2009

Just what AgentZero said. So many of those are so obscure, if they were included, half of the top 100 could be made up of Cantillon's. But I'd imagine all the Cantillon one-offs are all about the same level of "waliness". Though I suspect you'd know better than me.

17. sarro

sarro Savant (345) Michigan May 12, 2009

Great job!!!!!!!1

18. davey101

davey101 Initiate (0) Connecticut Apr 14, 2009

Huh, I've had 100 times as many white wales than you've had!

(Also 0....)

Hanzo, Bluecane and ILOVESTOUTS like this.
  19. Worst band ever!

20. davey101

davey101 Initiate (0) Connecticut Apr 14, 2009

21. cosmicevan

cosmicevan Champion (835) New York Dec 13, 2009

I always find these lists to be fun and thought the old one was definitely in need of some updating (something must've been amiss and in need of update when it turned out that i was actually getting to try quite a few of them ;) )...however...

...THIS! unfortunately, the unwanted whales BIF is probably a pretty good indicator on desirability for the folks holding some of these beers, but my major beef with the unwanted whales BIF is it really gives a strong favoring on the thoughts of the organizer who is the gatekeeper on what gets into the BIF. i've had some pretty desirable beers turned down for that BIF and then saw the list with some new buzzed beers making it. i was always shocked when i would at tempt to enter SH Peconic and get shot down and then see something like damon or mimosa in there (please note i no longer have any of these bottles to trade so i have no vested interest in it being on the list, but like the SH Berliner, there are those who know about these amazing and difficult to acquire beers and those who are in the dark).

cheers and thanks jim, this stuff is always fun. if you don't like the list, then ignore it. it isn't hard as most beers on these lists aren't all over the place.

22. dtmets84

dtmets84 Aficionado (235) New York Dec 31, 2011

ticked 20. pobre at best.

will be seeing #5, #10, #12, #37, #5, #88

to re iterate. i will be seeing M, dirty horse, don quijote, JCN, Malvasia Rosso, and choc rain batch 1 on january 12th 2013.

23. Only 6 for me. What a chump.

Jnorton00 likes this.
  24. youradhere

youradhere Savant (485) Arkansas Feb 29, 2008

Ehhhhhh jeezus, when did beer enjoyment and advocacy become such a competition?

25. aasher

aasher Champion (910) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

I knew I shouldn't have opened my Iced Eclipse. Doh! It wad delicious though.

caSSino likes this.
  26. aasher

I know what you're saying but people take the one off thing pretty seriously.

27. aasher

My opinion is that Rare is not a wale.

phishisphunk, xnicknj, usofar and 5 others like this.
  28. Damn bro that's it? Figured you would be a lot higher. I'm personally only at 17

29. Anonymous1

Anonymous1 Savant (445) Illinois Mar 19, 2012

I'm surprised to see Damon and Mimosa on here but no Norma??? Yeah it's being released again soon, but I've found that next to Ann that Norma was the hardest one to track down....

makdeco and standardcherry like this.
  30. Damn, only 24/102 for me. Admittedly, I'm of the mindset that I'm likely not missing THAT much with a lot of these beers (do I really care that much about things like '07 Darkness or '04 Dark Lord? not really). The super rare Cantillons, on the other hand, are my top Wants!

31. I have a suggestion for the list: Eszett Geuze.

Here is some information about why I think it should be on the list:

1) Uli's (h.ertie) first and only commercial blend.
    2) Only 130 bottles.
    3) It has a rating above 4.6/5 http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/10574/81839/?ba=Thehuntmaster
    4) I have done trades involving Mimosa and Blabaer for Eszetts - With Eszett trading higher than 1:1.
    5) I have been offered JCN 1:1
    6) http://beeradvocate.com/community/t...gueuze-iso-eszett-and-other-rare-sours.48118/ (I wish I had a bottle left so I could do this trade !!!!!!!!!!!)
    http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/iso-eszett-geuze-ft-list.45381/
    http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/iso-eszett-geuze-ft-list.49194/
    7) In the Unwanted Whales 6, it ranked just below BV DL and above the likes of Deviation, Narke konjaks! stormaktsporter and Izzy : https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ag2miH1aXXYYdHBwMy1IOW9zMFVYLUFHNWEyMllpdWc#gid=0

32. goveia75

goveia75 Savant (265) Oregon Mar 20, 2011

I'm also surprised that Rorie's Ale is not on there. I've traded a couple over the past year, both times for items ranked in the 30s and 40s on that list. And every offer I received were from bottles on that list (anywhere ranked 34-55). But I don't know the criteria.

33. ChadQuest

ChadQuest Initiate (0) Illinois Mar 4, 2009

I am glad that 05 Gratitude is easy to get now, along with 08.

34. johndoe8

johndoe8 Savant (275) California Jun 9, 2010

ISO: Still Nacht Reserva 2000. PM me. FT: Your choice from at least 15 bottles ranked higher than SNR2000.

35. Sarlacc83

Sarlacc83 Advocate (620) Oregon Mar 2, 2008

The OP finally nails down what trading is all about. Hooray!

36. beerdweeb

beerdweeb Savant (310) California Nov 28, 2010

I like the list. It's fun. Good work SJ.

37. Haven't had any of those :coolface:

38. readbaron

readbaron Savant (345) Illinois May 12, 2010

Veritas 010 and 007 seem oddly placed to me. (010 too high, 007 too low)

EDIT my beer penis currently rates 41

39. Tnudish

Tnudish Initiate (0) Wisconsin Feb 16, 2012

You new here?

GuisseppeFranco and stayclean like this.