1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

New White Whale List

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by SpeedwayJim, Nov 23, 2012.

1. What seems to be missing is the 2005 Dark Lord aged in Woodhaven Reserve barrels in a 750ml swing top. I believe only 12 were made. I know where 3 of them are. Cheers
    GrumpyOldTroll and cosmicevan like this.
  2. cosmicevan

cosmicevan Champion (790) New York Dec 13, 2009

wow, this is the third time i've heard about this beer today and i had never heard about it ever before today. do tell the story behind this and with both of us being in NY, we should open one of them 3 ;)
  3. It's kind of a wacky story but one of my buddies I work with was once one of the original brewers back in 2003-2005 at 3floyds. He had a hand in making the original DL. So he had 3 to start and now has one. my other buddy I work with got one and Scotty the owner/brewer at Captain Lawrence has the other. There's more to the story but all three of these guys are my friends so I don't want to give up to much. Any how if you'd like to see a photo of one I posted it on my Instagram account its krebsy718. Cheers
  4. forgetfu

forgetfu Aficionado (245) Colorado Jul 27, 2007

That's a small barrel.
  5. SpeedwayJim

SpeedwayJim Advocate (700) New York Jun 19, 2009

You know when you're an old BA when you call Scott Vacarro, "Scotty".
    cosmicevan likes this.
  6. Haha. I've known Scotty since before his brewery days. Great guy and great family.
  7. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

Are these the same as the 750ml swing tops they raffled off in '06?
  8. No this is the year before that 2005. Aged in a small Woodhaven reserve barrel. 12 bottles total
  9. YaKnowBrady

YaKnowBrady Initiate (0) New Jersey Jul 23, 2010

This is like saying that somebody's homebrew should be added to the list because it was aged in WR barrels.

12 bottles? Should Brewdogs End of History be added too? There were only 11 bottles of that made.
    boogercrack likes this.
  10. pmoney

pmoney Advocate (595) Illinois Apr 15, 2011

Isn't early-vintage Darklord a little more sought-after than somebody's homebrew?
    MikeyMikee likes this.
  11. Whatever guys. Just putting it out there. I'm not looking to debate it. There were 12 bottles made and its a DL. Enough said.
    jp7161, cosmicevan, FUNKPhD and 2 others like this.
  12. YaKnowBrady

I feel that the bottle limit negates the value, since it was never seemingly sold off in a retail setting at all, more like a one-off variant that a 12-pack was made of, and the brewer shared with some buddies. I'm sure a homebrewer could brew a Dark Lord clone, barrel age it, produce more bottles, yet because it's brewed in a garage, it's now no longer as valuable?

o_O
  13. pmoney

o_O
  14. drgarage

drgarage Initiate (0) California Aug 19, 2008

Pfft. You don't get it, do you? This guy's barrel-aged dark lord clone is the whitest of the white whales.

ISO: BA Garage Lord FT: Dave made in my freezer from Adam bottles, then packaged in ketchup bottles.
  15. abecall98

abecall98 Advocate (530) California Aug 11, 2007

That's deep dude.
    MasterCraft and pmoney like this.
  16. whiskey

whiskey Savant (330) California Feb 25, 2012

o_O

Edit: amidoinitrite?
  17. readbaron

readbaron Savant (345) Illinois May 12, 2010

People seem to think Yellow Bus is a whale, even though it was never sold in a retail setting. Granted, more than 12 bottles of it were made.
  18. drgarage

I just love a debate about whether a beer is a whale because it didn't have ENOUGH bottles made. Think about that one for awhile. At the end of this logic chain is Bud Light being the biggest whale of all.
    ADTaber likes this.
  19. YaKnowBrady

I should have clarified my "Retail" comment to include restaurant distribution as well. Soleil de Minuit would be covered under this as well, but the bottle counts are way more than that of this rogue Dark Lord. I guess I should've specified to as it never seems to have had a price tag on it, so no starting price?
  20. YaKnowBrady

I don't see how this works. Nobody is saying that the more bottles made, OR the most bottles sold, denotes the higher listing of desirability/rarity factor. However, a beer that was never actually sold, with less than a full 24-bottle case produced, that only a handful of people have every actually seen or even have been made known of its existence, is not exactly a beer that should be considered for inclusion on a Beer Rarity Rankings list. There's no trading for it, and therefore, no point to include.

Should that beer that was found in that sunken pirate ship that is 250 years old be included too? Bottles were listed on eBay for, if I recall correctly, over $150K? Should that be included?
  21. drgarage

Well, let's take your terms at list. If it's a beer rarity rankings list, some combination of actual rarity (total bottles available) crossed with track record of the brewer (Three Floyds vs. my homebrew). And 2005 BA DL would be very high on that list. White Whales is specifically about desirability combined with rarity, which is why it probably wouldn't rank highly, unless it got a lot more hype than it currently has.

Hell, it wouldn't shock me to see some tasting group go after this one now that it's known.
  22. pmoney

In case you are interested:

23. YaKnowBrady

Missed that. Looks like Dark Lord in an East End Toaster bottle.
  24. pmoney

Yeah, it seems like a typical 1-liter swingtop bottle.
  25. YaKnowBrady

None of that plastic, clear screw top nonsense ;)
  26. lurchingbeast

The picture on the instagram profile looks like the barrel aged DL's raffled off in '06. That's why I asked.

To everyone else:
    There is not and shouldn't be a bottle count cutoff point for inclusion. There are no real qualifiers. It isnt the 'Rarest beer list'. It is the White Whale list. Oh, and it is just a fucking list.
  27. YaKnowBrady

Maybe we can just take the master list of all beer ever and rank it from top to bottom. That way nobodies feels are hurt.
  28. FUNKPhD

FUNKPhD Advocate (505) Texas Apr 13, 2010

I haven't looked in a while, but I'm guessing you had nothing to do with putting this list together?
  29. YaKnowBrady

As you can tell, I don't have a clue about beer rarity.
    FUNKPhD likes this.
  30. Why are we looking up this dude's instagram when that bottle has been the BA DL profile pic forever on here?

One was on ebay last year.
    Krebsy likes this.
  31. lurchingbeast

Those were called '06 according to everything I have read. I'm trying to figure out if they are the same beer.
  32. Is 05 a more succulent vintage?
  33. lurchingbeast

Probably not. More genuine curiosity than anything.

Is that wrong?
  34. Nobody is wrong when talking about whales
    FUNKPhD likes this.
  35. lurchingbeast

If that's how you feel, I think a re-read of this thread is in order.
  36. readbaron

readbaron Savant (345) Illinois May 12, 2010

Speaking of bottle counts and such, what is the lowest bottle count "white whale". Veritas 005 comes to mind. Other contenders?
  37. lurchingbeast

How many bottles exist of Dirty Beaver Juice Weekend?

Pissenlit Strong had something like 50 bottles.
  38. lurchingbeast

Do you mean Woodford Reserve? Assuming so, this review from 2006 claims the BA DL they had on tap came from Woodford barrels:
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/26/30184/?ba=UncleFlip

I'm saying same beer.
  39. You could be right I'll get the correct story tomorrow from my buddy who was there. Regardless 12 bottles were made
  40. lurchingbeast

From researching (aka googling) the last couple hours on and off I have gathered that we are talking about the same beer. It was '05 DL aged in Woodford Reserve barrels and given away to friends of the brewery. They also raffled off 5 (according to an old thread on RB) bottles at DLD '06, which is why I've always heard it as '06 Oak Aged DL.

Nevertheless, it is a glaring oversight from the list makers. I'm sure its not the only one.
    Krebsy and GrumpyOldTroll like this.