newbie question about small batch brewing kits

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by od_sf, Dec 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. od_sf

od_sf Initiate (0) Nov 2, 2010 California

Hello,
    I'm considering buying a 1 Gallon Small Batch Starter Kit (like this one: http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/...er-kits/1-gallon-small-batch-starter-kit.html) because I live in a tiny studio apartment with a small kitchen. I don't really have the room to brew with 5 gallon equipment. Or to store it...

My question is this: it seems like a lot of homebrew stuff is targeted for 5 gallon brews: beer recipe kits, yeast packs, etc. Will it become a complete pain in the ass to buy supplies for small 1 gallon brews because of this? What are the cons of doing such small batches?

Thanks!

2. AlCaponeJunior

AlCaponeJunior Grand Pooh-Bah (3,326) May 21, 2010 Texas
    Pooh-Bah Society

Well if you have access to a local home brew store (LHBS) I wouldn't be too worried about it. You can brew small batches successfully, though I've never tried as small at 1 gallon.

Northern brewer does make good stuff, but I can't specifically comment on that particular kit. Looks quite feasible though.

Ordering stuff online I'd think you'd get eaten up by shipping unless you bought several at a time, but then freshness might become an issue.

Scaling down for your circumstances does have merit though. Hopefully someone can comment further on the specifics of your link.

3. inchrisin

inchrisin Pooh-Bah (2,013) Sep 25, 2008 Indiana
    Pooh-Bah

One of the biggest problems with doing a 1 gal batch is only getting 9 beers out of the process. Seriously. If you're going to put 4 hours of work into doing this, you may as well make it worth your time.

Youtube some videos on extract brewing. The equipment you need can be as simple as a stock pot, a paint straining bag, a fermenter and some bottling equipment. Oh, and bottles. You'll need a couple of cases. It should all fit into a closet, under the sink or in a spare corner.

If you're really driven to make 1 gal batches because it will save space, you can do this and just split up the ingredients. Just divide your 5 gal batch by 5 and you'll be in the ballpark. A word of caution, you'll need to start your boil with about 2 gal of water and expect to boil off a gal of water during your 60 min boil. You may get a little less boil off on a stovetop.

4. HerbMeowing

HerbMeowing Maven (1,271) Nov 10, 2010 Virginia
    Trader

[​IMG]

Batch size: 2.45G (9L)
    Cost: $10
    Dimensions: 9.5" (H) x 15" (L)

MrB ingredients leave a lot to be desired by the fermentor is perfect for places with limited space.
    If you buy a ready-made 5G recipe...use one half now and the other half later.

5. inchrisin

inchrisin Pooh-Bah (2,013) Sep 25, 2008 Indiana
    Pooh-Bah

I've never been within $20 feet of these things, so I have a silly question because of the picture. What are they using for an airlock here? Do you just set the lid on top?
    Edit: I know how I'm going to make my first beer bomb, and I know what I'm going to do just before I move out of my apartment!

6. HerbMeowing

HerbMeowing Maven (1,271) Nov 10, 2010 Virginia
    Trader

CO2 escapes through two notches in the LBK's rim.

My LID rests loosley over the opening while yeast are respirating...reproduciating...and fermentation gets a'goin'.
    Clean...sanitize...and snug the lid after krausen fall.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.