1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Newbie question on CBS

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by grze, Mar 16, 2013.

1. grze

grze Savant (355) California Apr 17, 2012

Hi everyone,

First time here. I've been looking for cbs using various resources for quite a while...no luck. What does it take to get one these days, never tried before. I'm in SoCal.

2. Im wondering that myself, I got CBS plus KBS for a Black Tuesday but that was back in 2011. Ur gonna need something really good know.

3. Not that BT isnt good, good luck on CBS one of the best stouts I had

4. Anyone who hasn't already drank their CBS will be holding out for something big. Your one want, BA Vanilla Dark Lord, will be even harder (if not impossible) to land. Plenty of other top 200 beers you can score- check for when Alesmith throws on a keg of BA Speedway.

5. Shilt

Shilt Savant (395) Virginia Dec 26, 2011

Go for fresh KBS coming out soon. I've had CBS a number of times in the past couple months and it's just not worth what you would have to give up for it. Fresh KBS is better at this point, and wont deplete your cellar to get.

claaark13 likes this.
  6. Don't waste you're time on CBS. It's still pretty good but not even slightly close to as good as it was. Up to about a year old it was hands down one of the best BA Stouts around. Just amazing. Now it's pails in comparison. For some reason it's trades way higher than the current quality. Hold out for the next batch and prepare for a messy clean up after your mind is blown. Trust!

Peanut, claaark13, Treebs and 2 others like this.
  7. What this guy said. It's not drinking nearly as nicely as it did when it came out, and you'd have to give up too much to get some.

8. WagonCircler

WagonCircler Savant (280) New York May 15, 2011

I had it last week and it tasted like liquified licorice. No barrel left.

MrVonzipper likes this.
  9. raczkowski

raczkowski Savant (340) Florida May 16, 2011

there is soemone that wants some hunahpu for CBS. not sure if it will go 1:1, but i dont think its extremely hard to find. you just have to find the right trader and post the thread at the right time.....black tuesday goes 1:1 with hunahpu, so i would imagine you could land a CBS with a black tuesday, and to sweeten the pot, add in some extras or something like that.
    i got my CBS for my brother back in decembe rand gave up about 2:1 on value. I gave up zhukov, BA big sound, cognac sweet stout, and i think a few others...but the guy i traded with sent me 2 kbs and sent some extras the next time we traded so i think it worked out just fine.

10. Doubt it would go 1:1. That's not even $4$...

Really?

11. 7clutch

7clutch Savant (255) Florida Sep 14, 2012

I know 1 person who did the Huna/Black Tuesday trade, if that helps.

ManLoveBeer likes this.
  12. I just find it surprising. That's cool though, as long as they're both happy, that's all that matters.

FUNKPhD and 7clutch like this.
  13. 7clutch

7clutch Savant (255) Florida Sep 14, 2012

Yeah, to be honest I was surprised too when the dude told me he got a BT for one of his Huna. I know raczkowski doesn't know that guy, so I'm assuming he knows a couple more people who've done that one.

14. This.

But again, as long as eveyone's happy, good for them both.

15. Itoclown

Itoclown Savant (270) Michigan Jun 19, 2008

I traded my last CBS for a T25. I was very happy about that trade. I believe eventually they will re-release it in bottles. Also, I wouldn't be surprised to see BA Imperial Stout from them. No inside knowledge... just my gut feelings.

16. raczkowski

Yes I've been offered a Bt for huna with shelf stuff making the difference for $4$.

Or In a lot of these huna trades people have wanted two bottles so they would offer something a tad more expensive and rare for first bottle and second bottle is easier to get less expensive. Example: 2 hunas for a cherry rye and coffee.

The CBS isn't finalized yet or anything but the guy is okay to trade huna for CBS. Maybe he wants 2:1 in which case I'd pass. I would send some other limited release beers to make up $4$ but not two hunas do I guess u are correct that it doesn't go 1;1 solely.

17. That's exactly right. No more maple, coffee or barrel. It's straight black licorice.

18. raczkowski

That sucks. I still have the only one I've gotten and aven't had a chance to drink it with my brother yet.

19. kscaldef

kscaldef Advocate (690) Oregon Jun 11, 2010

I traded a Peche'n'Brett for one recently

20. atoulouk

atoulouk Savant (400) Indiana Apr 25, 2011

I second what a lot of people have said, I drank it the day it was released and it was maybe the best beer I'd had to date, 18months later the maple is completely gone (which is not surprising). The maple made that beer special. Try to get some fresh KBS and you'll be pleased.

21. Yea dude. Sucks. It's been a beer I've always shared with my lil bro. Had it 3 times. Had it on Xmas morning 2 years ago and it was absolute perfection. So I got another bottle to share with him recently and we were So let down. IMO I think you should trade your bottle because there is still a bunch of people that want it, it appears, and wait til the next batch. My 2 cents.

22. Demer

Demer Aficionado (225) New Jersey Dec 13, 2010

On draft it's awesome but the 1 bottle I had wasn't great. I thought it was just do to bottle variation.

23. Bottle variation could very well be the thing. I had one a few months ago and it was notedly better than fresh.

24. someone offered me a CBS for a CFH if that helps at all
    I did decline tho

25. Beerlistman

Beerlistman Savant (265) Illinois Jul 9, 2009

For anyone wanting to trade their shell of CBS, I would be more than happy to take it off your hands. Had one this weekend and yes, while it is not as good as fresh, I am amazed at how the maple is still there. Batch 9000 fresh, THAT was straight licorice.

26. Anonymous1

Anonymous1 Savant (420) Illinois Mar 19, 2012

I traded one plus a CBH for a CFH '13.