1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Newbie Question - Whats up with wax?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by KevinGordon, Jan 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KevinGordon

KevinGordon Member

Some bottles are coated in wax. What gives? Besides making that bottle an incredible pain in the arse to open, does the wax serve any purpose besides looking fancy? I feel like I need Mr Miyagi to get the wax off..
    floraday likes this.
  2. mcaulifww

mcaulifww Member

it may create a better seal on bottles ment to be aged. a bottle that is just capped might let in some oxygen. otherwise, it just looks cute
  3. DSlim71

DSlim71 Member

By coating the caps with wax, brewers are trying to prevent oxidation by not letting as much air in through the cap. Ideally, you will be able to age bottles longer because of the wax compared to regular capping.
    acevenom, dianimal and jglowe77 like this.
  4. KevinGordon

KevinGordon Member

thanks for the info!
  5. kdmcguire10

kdmcguire10 Member

The wax serves to reinforce the seal, adding some additional insurance against potential oxidation.

Removing the wax can be done a number of different ways. I typically just score the entire area around the cap enough to allow me to get my standard opener latched on. Then, just pop it open as normal.
  6. Kadonny

Kadonny Member

I hate the wax purely for being a pain in the ass to open. I had an Olde Hickory this past weekend that I couldn't get the damn wax off of. Frustrating.
  7. UnderJoath

UnderJoath Member

Practice, kiddies.
  8. Zhiguli

Zhiguli Member

lowers friction when we geeks attempt to self-penetrate with aged bottles
    DanK4, fullmetal1381, ijaap and 20 others like this.
  9. kenpo23

kenpo23 Member

Forget all of these logical reasons....
    the brewers just wanna play with some wax.
  10. Lare453

Lare453 Member

I wish there was a love button, not just a like.
    ChicagoShoop and crushedvol like this.
  11. mhksuccess

mhksuccess Member

I like the wax for aging but do agree that it is difficult to open
    I learned the hard way last year when I hosted a tasting and toward the end of the night after numerous beers
    tried to open a bottle of the Bruery CUIR and sliced my thumb
    drinking the bottle helped the pain but will definitely use a different method next time removing some was
    glaze3 likes this.
  12. ShogoKawada

ShogoKawada Member

Wax: it's how a beer that would be $12 in sixpacks turns into a $22 750ml bottle.
  13. MADhombrewer

MADhombrewer Member

To open: take a knife and move from bottom of wax to the cap. Peel off. This makes it very easy to open.
    Also you can take a knife and make an "x" in the top of the cap an peel wax off like a banana.
    It does take a little practice.
    cosmicevan likes this.
  14. Mothergoose03

Mothergoose03 Member

15. ABisonEgo

ABisonEgo Member

Ive heard that a bottle that is waxed always tastes better than unwaxed bottles. Example: Dark Lord vs Guinness
  16. dawatts

dawatts Member

Looks like Backlash is probably not waxing their bottles anymore. And "easier to open" is one of the reasons, and keeping costs lower. That being said, their wax dipped, and then brass knuckle stamped top is bad ass.

http://backlashbeer.com/2012/12/03/wax-on-wax-off/
  17. LeRose

LeRose Member

I was thinking that with the intelligence displayed in some of the clips in the best beer videos thread, there must have been some nimrod somewhere who tried to melt the wax off with a blowtorch...or microwave...
    Zach136 likes this.
  18. SeaOfShells

SeaOfShells Member

I had an Arcadia BA Shipwreck Porter, and it was laughably difficult to open the beer.
    szmnnl99 likes this.
  19. imbrue001

imbrue001 Member

Too lazy to make a new label for each variation of the same beer.
    luwak likes this.
  20. Pecan

Pecan Member

The real question is: Once I get through the wax, how the hell am I supposed to get this metal disk off the top? God, it's on there so tight and it makes it sooooo difficult to open. Advice?
    RaulMatisse and ericj551 like this.
  21. imbrue001

imbrue001 Member

It's also a way to persuade people subcontiously that the beer is extra special and thus worthy of a higher markup. It's like how wax seal stamps on envelopes look all fancy. Surely the sender wrote it with a feather dipped in ink.
    LeRose likes this.
  22. RDMII

RDMII Member

Waxed caps are fine and simple to remove, it's the waxed swing tops that I hate. Sweetwater's 1L 2010 Festive Ale took me 30 minutes to open and I had to vacuum the kitchen to get up all the little pieces.
  23. jacksback

jacksback Member

Hey, the beer was gonna suck anyway.
  24. JustXBeer

JustXBeer Member

that must have been fun :eek:
  25. TWStandley

TWStandley Member

It is so that when you are drinking and the power goes out, you can pick up the wax, roll it into a ball, take off a shoelace and poke it through the middle to create a candle.
    beertunes and dachshunddude86 like this.
  26. acevenom

acevenom Member

That's where having a combination of a wine corkscrew and a bottle opener all in one tool is useful. It's a good grip and the length gives you plenty of leverage. I've had no trouble getting through wax with that thing.
  27. JustXBeer

JustXBeer Member

This works evey time
    [​IMG]
  28. drewone

drewone Member

Waxed caged and corked are the worst!
  29. cbeer88

cbeer88 Member

Despite the rationale of being better for long-term aging, I genuinely believe 90% of the bottles out there are waxed to stand out.

Most wax comes off pretty easily once you've done it enough. Except The Bruery, because they use like a quarter inch of wax...
    beertunes likes this.
  30. ShogoKawada

ShogoKawada Member

Or Arbitrator's. That sadist likes to wax corked and caged beers.
    adamcarlson28 likes this.
  31. JustXBeer

JustXBeer Member

Now that must be really fun...lol
  32. sandiego67

sandiego67 Member

Sabre it.

jarrgal, Pecan and JustXBeer like this.
  33. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Member

I take it no one was paying attention to Ray Daniels tweet fest on wax about a month ago? He went into it IN depth, from type of wax, to why wax? If a beer does not get any oxygen thru the crown, how can it further develop, therefore what's the point? It was educational to say the least.
  34. Chelsea1905

Chelsea1905 Member

Shows of the years some bottles were waxed too.

Personally I think some of it is a gimmick. Surely caged and corked is just as good, but if a brwery doesn't have acces to cage and cork, or even cap and cork, then I can see it being somehwat cool

However, if it is meant to be for "aging" purposes to make sure a bottle doesn't oxidize, then why are some IPA's waxed? Surely you'd not want to age them anyway.
  35. KevinGordon

KevinGordon Member

I dont know about that comparison. I've never had Dark Lord, but isnt it possible that it tastes better than Guinness because Guinness doesn't taste that good?
  36. KevinGordon

KevinGordon Member

I wish I saw this, but I dont use twitter, so...
  37. LivingWeapon

LivingWeapon Member

I have yet to have a waxed bottle. But thats because Im young and poor. Probably going to go pick up a waxed bottle of something now, for some reason Im very curious as to how hard it is to get off.

Nope. Its all because of the wax
  38. tgchief

tgchief Member

It's pinkies up...you know, fancy pants....nothing more. Lots of fun for brewers, messy additional costs for owners, gingerbread for marketers!
  39. ijaap

ijaap Member

On the other side of the spectrum, it is ridiculously tedious to actually apply the wax to beers. Currently doing this. As a buyer, when I see a beer with a wax seal I always investigate said beer.
  40. ABisonEgo

ABisonEgo Member

I was being completely sarcastic. As stated above, mostly for oxidation and aging purposes
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.