Dismiss Notice
Save $5 when you subscribe to 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine by selecting auto-renew.

Subscribe now →
Dismiss Notice
Join Our Email List →

And we'll send you the latest updates and offers from BeerAdvocate, because knowing is half the battle.
Dismiss Notice
Extreme Beer Fest cometh. Limited tickets left for Friday, February 5th in Boston.

Buy yours now →
Dismiss Notice

Pre-order your Respect Beer "Hipster" Hoodie today!

Plus: Free shipping (US only) on orders of $25 or more until 12/18/15. Just select "Free Shipping" at checkout.

Shop now →

Newbie to Kate Day - Any Advise?

Discussion in 'New England' started by djran2002, Feb 28, 2012.

1. djran2002

djran2002 Aspirant (45) California Apr 28, 2011

This is my first trip up to Portsmouth and wanted to see if there was any advice that the experts here had for me?

My buddy and I would like to be in the first group heading into the brewery, does a line form and if so, when should we try to get there to stand in line?

Also, is there a better place once inside the brewery to try and sit - access to servers and having a good view of the room would be things we were looking for.

Any other tips or tricks that would be helpful?
  2. joeebbs

joeebbs Savant (360) Pennsylvania Apr 29, 2009

This video might give you a good idea of what to expect. Doesn't look too packed.

3. BeerLover99

BeerLover99 Advocate (745) Illinois Dec 13, 2008

I would love to join you! First of all love the style, 2nd never been to New England,
    and just sounds like a great time. Have fun!
  4. theKman

theKman Zealot (95) New Hampshire Dec 15, 2008

It's great to get there early and be part of the first pour, but you can save lot's of waiting by going later. In 2010, I got there early, <7:00am, and was still too late to be able to buy bottles. So I stood outside in freezing rain for many hours just to get inside. I'm actually sitting at the bar about 4 seats to the left of the person filming in the first video above. Last year I got there around 3:00pm and walked right in, little to no wait. Kate had kicked a little before 6:00pm, so you wouldn't want to wait too long. I would think that with the new sales system, the early lines wouldn't be as crazy, as it's just to go in to drink, not to buy bottles, but I wasn't there early last year so can't attest. My friend and I are staying at the Sheraton within walking distance of the brewery this year, so we will get there for the first pour. Regarding placement in the pub, you're not going to have a lot of choice in the matter. All seats will be filled, and community seating is the policy on KtG Day, so you may end up sitting with strangers, but they won't be strangers for long. All I know is that I've got two winning scratch tickets, and that makes me very happy. See you 3/5/12.
  5. BattleRoadBrewer

BattleRoadBrewer Savant (400) Massachusetts Oct 8, 2005 Verified

The last release I went to was 2009, we were able to get seats in the window bench, sit down for some grub before the tapping. Sounds like they're tapping earlier nowadays, right after the doors open. Is it tough to get served some of their awesome victuals in a reasonable amount of time after getting in the door?
  6. If you plan to stand in line and wait, I'd suggest getting there really early. I got there last year about 30 minutes before the doors opened...the line was pretty long...in freezing rain. I wasn't there early enough to get in the first group of people, so you wait FOREVER after that to get in. Basically, everyone who goes in obviously wants to drink a little, eat a little, etc...so, if you don't get in for the first batch, you basically sit for a couple hours after that with the line barely moving at all.

I waited about 2.5 hours before I finally got in. When I finally left, people were just walking in.

I wasn't in the very first batch and went downstairs to the lounge. Sure, it was mad crowded, but I got a seat at the bar and ordered a flatbread for lunch. It wasn't bad getting food...no worse than any other crowded dinner hour.