1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Newest Founder's Backstage Series - Doom

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by GehenHerzog, Feb 11, 2013.

1. A question for those who will find this/have this. Are you going to age it at all or open it right away? It seems like you could age it and let some of the hop character fade to bring malt and bourbon upfront, or would you want to try it fresh as the brewer intends?
    time4lunch likes this.
  2. I'm not interested in this at all, and unlike a lot of people I liked Bolt Cutter (not comparing them for style, just that BC was the last Founders Backstage release). I've had a bbl aged version of Foothills Hoppyum and found it totally inferior to the awesome base beer.
    fmccormi and Beerontwowheels like this.
  3. Im sure it will be great....if its anything as good as white oak jai alai, we are all in for quite a treat. My only concern is purchasing a 23.00 650ml of IPA. But as usual..."take my money".
    jtdolla911 likes this.
  4. MichPaul

MichPaul Advocate (635) Michigan Jan 28, 2012

Funny how people can trash a beer before they even try it... Aren't we BA's here? Sounds more like BS to me...
    This is not a new beer, read the reviews and see how many people thought it was a "Waste"
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1199/47659
    tommyz likes this.
  5. litheum94

litheum94 Initiate (0) California Dec 29, 2008

Yes, please.
  6. I thought Looking Glass was Double Trouble in Bourbon Barrels?
  7. Good question/thought.. i think ill comsume it fresh for hopefully a well rounded beer with all of the above qualities. If anyone can achieve that im sure these boys can. Although I may get one to try down the road. ;-)
    jtdolla911 likes this.
  8. Bay01

Bay01 Savant (435) Illinois Nov 19, 2008

I think that was DT in Brandy Barrels....
    Gonzoillini, rolandboy and cfrances33 like this.
  9. That's what I was thinking as well. If I luck into any, I'll drink it right away, but if I can luck into two, I'll sit on one, if only for 6 months
  10. While I am not particularly interested in Doom, in terms of aging time, Allagash Curieux is aged in bourbon barrels for only 8 weeks, and is generally regarded as a fairly exceptional beer that changes a lot from the base Allagash Tripel. I would imagine the flavors show up a lot faster in a lighter bodied beer than in a thick stout that takes a year to get to the ideal point.

Edit: Also, as far as I understand it, BA IPAs are usually dryhopped AFTER the barrel aging, so you worry less about the hop character fading (of course, you'll still lose some of the hop character from the boil)
    fmccormi, Horbar and jtdolla911 like this.
  11. Itoclown

Itoclown Savant (270) Michigan Jun 19, 2008

Man... When did so many whiners join BA?

I myself will enjoy this brew. I love when breweries mix different types and variations. You may not like it but I'm glad they do it.
  12. semibaked

semibaked Advocate (610) Kentucky Mar 27, 2007

Never got to try this on at Founders, looking forward to it, but shouldn't the label have Ron Simmons and Butch Reed on it in masks?
    KevinMc79 likes this.
  13. semibaked

semibaked Advocate (610) Kentucky Mar 27, 2007

Maybe they were worried they were going to be sued by Black Sabbath?:)
    TwelveOunces likes this.
  14. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

I'll let you know once I actually taste it.
    mjshearer1, Steimie and MichPaul like this.
  15. CORKSCREWFISH

CORKSCREWFISH Savant (325) Illinois Apr 22, 2011

Bitter hoppy bourbon?.....$23?......Nah!
    More for the hypesters!
  16. So we're going to Booo something that you don't have a desire to try. Just because it doesn't sound good to you, doesn't mean it won't be good and that you shouldn't try it. What a waste of a post and what a waste of an internet.
  17. abaculy

abaculy Aficionado (245) Michigan Sep 14, 2005

I hope a lot of the people who won't be buying this are in Grand Rapids or East Lansing because that just man more for me! Hand of Doom was one of the best beers Founders has ever made (not everything can be BBA stouts)
    MichPaul and GehenHerzog like this.
  18. $23?
  19. abaculy

abaculy Aficionado (245) Michigan Sep 14, 2005

And the facts are, Hand of Doom was top 2 or 3 in beers requested for the Backstage Series, excluding obviously CBS and beers they may never bottle such as Cashew Mountain Brown and Black Biscuit.
  20. MichPaul

MichPaul Advocate (635) Michigan Jan 28, 2012

Blame your store for an inflated price, not Founders
    Bay01 likes this.
  21. Horbar

Horbar Advocate (530) Rhode Island Feb 24, 2012

Why do people seem angry?? Probably cause it can't be hoarded. Don't let those hops fade. It's dry-hopped after aging. Drink it fresh baby!!!
    TwelveOunces likes this.
  22. Sounds like a waste of perfectly good Double Trouble. Hopefully I'm wrong.
  23. i'll try to find it around new york once its out, bolt cutter was easy to come by once it was out so hopefully this is on the shelf. if it isn't too much i'll just buy 2 bottles. drink one and age the other. i'm not automatically assuming this will be easy to come by either, but since its the backstage series maybe i'll have a better chance who knows
  24. adamant1912

adamant1912 Savant (395) Michigan Jan 10, 2010

Excited for this release, something different to try, even it's gonna cost $23 for a bottle. #hypetrain
  25. Sounds like a premise to a bad movie:

HERE COMES THE DOOM (play shitty theme song)
    In order to save a fledgling brewery/school/children/fu whatever, Kevin James, who once got a Mr. Beer Kit in college, must make a double ipa aged in bourbon barrels to save something in this fish out of water premise. We put Selma Hayek in it, regardless of plot, because she's hot!
    CMUbrew and hctap00 like this.
  26. Bay01

Bay01 Savant (435) Illinois Nov 19, 2008

27. I'd say it's the only way I would want to try/buy Double Trouble any more. :D
  28. CORKSCREWFISH

Why does the argument:"you haven't even tried it,how can you say that?",seem only to be applied to the 10% who aren't interested? No need to get so uptite when some people don't see things exactly as you do. Have a little more self-confidence and get over the mob-mentality.
    Trust me,in today's beer scene you homer's should embrace a few people who seem to have a mind of their own!
    teal and jtdolla911 like this.
  29. CORKSCREWFISH

If its priced at 12.99 ,seems reasonable. If however,you're saying you paid 12.99 for the other Backstage beers,I call bullshyt!
    jtdolla911 likes this.
  30. I am skeptical about how the beer will turn out, but then again, I tried Great Divide's Rumble (wood ipa) and 17th Anniversary (wood dipa) and I really liked them both. So there is great potential for vanilla, oaky, imperial IPA success!
  31. Barrel aged IPA's seem to be a very polarizing style, in addition to that this one is a Founder's Backstage Series release. This could be the beer to end all beer advocacy.

p.s. My taste buds are better than yours and if you don't like what I like then you're stupid.
    fmccormi and Jnorton00 like this.
  32. jmw

jmw Savant (430) North Carolina Feb 4, 2009

Fantastic. Yet another high-gravity bourbon-barrel aged collectible from Founders. And this time an IPA.
    Whatever happened to making a beer that stands on its own and doesn't need to be masked with strong liquor?
    CMUbrew, KevinMc79 and GennyCreamAle like this.
  33. What ever happened to trying a beer before complaining about it?
  34. What are your opinions on aging this? On one hand, my general rule for IPAs are 'the fresher, the better'. But its already aged 4 months in the barrels. I'm going to try aging it either way, just for the hell of it.
  35. I thought Bolt Cutter was an imperial IPA aged in Bourbon Barrels? ;)
    effyeaAB and jar72404 like this.
  36. Good point... I take that back o_O
  37. Knifestyles

Knifestyles Savant (445) New York Jun 7, 2005

So stoked on so many people not being stoked on this.

I'mmadrinkitall.
    Roger85, fmccormi, mjshearer1 and 5 others like this.
  38. It seems like a lot of DIPAs get pretty close in profile to American Barelywines, with an almost subjective difference. What's to be expected of this verse a BA American Barelywine?
  39. Nope, my thoughts exactly. Bourbon and Hops a good beer does not make!
    Centennial likes this.
  40. I was on the fence about going to the KBS release or the Backstage release and this press release just made up my mind......(see avatar)
    TheBeerDad likes this.