1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Newest Founder's Backstage Series - Doom

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by GehenHerzog, Feb 11, 2013.

1. TheBeerDad

TheBeerDad Savant (345) Michigan Sep 6, 2012

This is great news for me, a backstage series beer where I'll only have to buy one...

2. TheBeerDad

TheBeerDad Savant (345) Michigan Sep 6, 2012

Couldn't agree more, this release makes me sad. Defiantly the least anticipated backstage release for me.

3. MooseBoose

MooseBoose Savant (470) Wisconsin Jun 6, 2007

Personally, I snore at the thought of another barrel aged anything. But I am sure it will sell like wildfire.

CMUbrew and jmw like this.
  4. xnicknj

xnicknj Advocate (730) Pennsylvania May 25, 2009

over/under on how many threads we'll see asking how this will age and if it will "turn into a barleywine?"

CMUbrew, DanE, stayclean and 2 others like this.
  5. ROBSTARR

ROBSTARR Savant (360) Michigan Aug 31, 2009

No Looking Glass was DT aged in Brandy Barrels ....amazing !!

kawilliams81 likes this.
  6. so this is Bolt Cutter 2: Bolt Harder?

7. Hand of Doom is awesome. One of the better BA Founders beers IMO.

ROBSTARR likes this.
  8. ao125

ao125 Savant (335) Virginia Dec 1, 2010

Hopefully it's better than Bolt Cutter. I still have three bottles of that, I need to trade off.

9. Bring on the Doom glassware (hopefully)!

10. fritts211

fritts211 Savant (285) Tennessee Feb 19, 2011

I would drink BA toilet water from Founders. Bring on the Doom.

regularjohn, hctap00 and wolfeman007 like this.
  11. I'm sorry but this does not sound good at all. Looks like we got another frangelic mountain brown, or bolt cutter.

12. Didn't we already have an over-hoppy barrel aged mess in Bolt Cutter?

13. From the sounds of everyone looks like this could be a shelf sitter

14. How hilarious would it be if they put CBS in these bottles just to mess with people.

lonewolfcry likes this.
  15. Catchy_Name

Catchy_Name Savant (385) California Dec 21, 2011

If one happens to make its way to my doorstep as a trade extra, then by all means ill give a shot. But I will echo the sentiments of another BA, I'm relieved its something I won't need to chase down.

16. Looks like founders is giving 3floyds a run for their money for not given a sh*t.

CORKSCREWFISH likes this.
  17. Durb777

Durb777 Savant (415) Illinois Nov 30, 2011

Why? Thats exactally how much it was at the brewery for Bolt Cutter.

CORKSCREWFISH likes this.
  18. Itoclown

Itoclown Savant (270) Michigan Jun 19, 2008

I can't beleive everyone whining. Believe me when I say this, I'm glad many of you won't be seeking this out because it "sounds gross" or "I've had other IPAs that were barrel aged. What a waste". More for us who enjoy differentiation in their brews.

nharres and mjshearer1 like this.
  19. EdTheEdge

EdTheEdge Advocate (530) California Mar 26, 2011

No Founders brew would reside on a shelf for long in in Los Angeles......

20. Hopefully this is the case in the Boston area and I can actually grab one. Better half i had to buy on ebay, and bolt cutter i found in Prov RI after my bro's wedding. We are light on Founders in boston, at least where i shop

21. n2185

n2185 Advocate (640) North Carolina Apr 14, 2008

I had the opposite reaction to BBal Hoppyum and thought it was a great beer made out of a terrible IPA. :)

I'm surprised at how many people are completely dismissing this out of hand, but I suppose that means more for me so I won't ultimately mind. Barrel-aged IPAs are tricky and can turn out pretty terrible, but there are some good ones. I've yet to come across another brewery that uses barrels as often or as consistently well as Founders does, so if anyone can make a good bbal IPA, it's them.

jtdolla911 likes this.
  22. I think Devils Dancer would have been a better choice for the base. Stronger malt profile.

23. bourbon barrel IPAs can be quite tasty. I'll give this a swing if I see a bottle for under $12 or so

24. Very excited for this! I thought szrp of doom was heavenly!

25. I'll probably do $13 for the bottle but $20 is a bit steep... Granted I buy Black OPS yearly but couldn't see spending that much for Bolt Cutter.

26. Drink it, don't age it. It already aged for four months in the barrels.

chanokokoro and jtdolla911 like this.
  27. mjshearer1

mjshearer1 Savant (445) Michigan Dec 16, 2011

If you're simply not interested in it, then that's fine. But people going so far as to say "it's a waste of barrels and good IPA" seem just pissy because Founders isn't releasing CBS 2.0. To me, it reeks of entitlement, because Founders owes it to them to make something that they like, otherwise fuck 'em. I'll admit I was like this when they first announced Bolt Cutter (not being a barleywine fan at all) but then I decided to not be a douche anymore.

MichPaul and MaltMilkshake like this.
  28. Man, sorry if I come across as an asshole here, but it's really stunning how much butthurt there is here about Bolt Cutter for a beer rated a 4.07. Good lord.

lonewolfcry and BMitch like this.
  29. BMitch

BMitch Aficionado (235) Virginia Jul 10, 2012

I had some on draft last month and thought it was one of the better beers that I've had. I never realized the amount of negativity it gets on here, but to each his own I guess.

JulianB likes this.
  30. I didn't hate Bolt Cutter, just didn't come across to me as a BA BW, but more a BA IPA, really more just a strong IPA. I know it wasn't going to be KH, but I was hoping for a few steps down, not a totally different staircase. But maybe in a year or two Bolt cutter will age into something nice.

Gosox8787 likes this.
  31. teal

teal Aficionado (195) Wisconsin May 3, 2012

Those saying they're not impressed or unwilling to try it are basing their opinion on the EXACT SAME amount of tasting data those who are claiming it's gonna be awesome and a must have.

You can't slag those uninterested because they've not tried it while propping up the beer because YOU'VE not tried it either.

32. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (840) Michigan May 8, 2006

Wake me when Black Biscuit comes out.

I am not much of a fan of the Double Trouble hop profile, too dirty, and I have never enjoyed their barrel aged versions. I am not complaining but I am not excited either. Hopefully others enjoy it.

33. Not to mention CBS is really a substandard beer IMO.

effyeaAB likes this.
  34. beerinmaine

beerinmaine Aficionado (225) Maine Jun 20, 2009

Gawd.

A bunch of people on here are having a Monday, need a beer, or need some form of therapy.

Don't like the beer, don't buy it. Not sure if you'll like it, buy one before hoarding a case. Leave plenty behind for the non-bitchy people who think a beer ranked as "exceptional" might be worth drinking at least once:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1199/47659

Or are we just bitter because it's another beer that normal humans can buy without trading their first-born child and a case of whales?

35. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (840) Michigan May 8, 2006

People are complaining which has lead to people complaining about people complaining which will lead to people complaining about the people who are complaining about the people complaining?

I thank everyone involved, I was incredibly amused typing that last sentence.

36. teal

teal Aficionado (195) Wisconsin May 3, 2012

That whole thing pisses me off - to whom do I complain?

37. Why would you take a perfectly good DIPA and ruin it by aging it. Dumb.

38. I personally think that the sweetness of brandy barrels would lend itself better to the final product. Of course that is pure palatal speculation. However, I think this beer will be interesting and I like the idea. Not sure if I will ever get to see a bottle, but I would pick it up for a reasonable price and under a reasonable mood.

I should also say that Double Trouble is one of my least favorite DIPAs. I've tried several times and it just doesn't do it for me. So basically, I say throw it all in some barrels or mix it with gummy bears. I won't mind experimentation.

39. They did that too, it's called Looking Glass and Szrp of Doom is DT aged in the Maple Bourbon Barrels. They're all solid brews worth trying.

40. muletrane

muletrane Savant (420) Pennsylvania Oct 26, 2006

I'm sure it'll be insanely overpriced in my area.

Northeast PA'd