1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Newest Founder's Backstage Series - Doom

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by GehenHerzog, Feb 11, 2013.

1. What a fascinating read BA has provided us. People are reacting wtith strong negativity to this.

Are people burnt out on bba beers. No way I think! Why do people keep accussing founders of wasting beer and or bourbon barrells. Theres plenty of dipas to go around. I mean it isnt like founders has a limited stash of beer and they have somehow taken from that stash never to bee seen again. Its just beer, theyll brew more. You literally CANT WASTE BEER. Plenty of hops malt water and yeast to go around.

I wonder if people are upset that they cant horde or age ect ect. I bet this plays a part. Either way I'm baffled. Any beer is good beer. We should NEVER complain about more beer. The more the merrier. If you don't wanna spend your money on it ok. But don't complain about beer being made by a world class brewery.

Cheers everuyne and lets be happy founders is giving us more beer.
    Andygirl, mjshearer1 and duobob like this.
  2. fullmetal1381

fullmetal1381 Savant (270) Florida Jul 30, 2011

My problem with this is in understanding how you age IPAs and NOT have them turn out like American Barleywines. I understand oak staves or spirals in the secondary, but how do you dry-hop something in a barrel? If they put the hops in before the beer and just leave them there, how do they avoid the grassy taste of long-forgotten hops?
  3. Yeah that's what I was referring to. It sounded like the better idea to me, but I haven't tried any of the three.
  4. Gonzoillini

Gonzoillini Advocate (655) Illinois Oct 15, 2008

Having had both Looking Glass and Hand of Doom before, I'm excited for Doom. And I say that as a person who doesn't usually enjoy barrel aged IPA / DIPA's.

I'd be curious to see a listing of BA's favorite backstage series beers as it seems like no one really liked any of them besides Blushing Monk + CBS when fresh.

Cheers!
  5. they drain the beer from the barrels into a tank(s) & blend, add hops and do the process just like every other beer.
  6. Already looking forward to all the threads trashing this beer, by the same folks looking forward to this beer! o_O
    Powderhornphil likes this.
  7. JDizzle

JDizzle Savant (395) Indiana Aug 24, 2010

That was before the hype machine was spun in motion!!

BTW, I can't wait to try this one!! Looking Glass is so good. I hope the bourbon treats it the same way.
  8. Hmmm so let's see...the people excited for Doom are the ones who have had it before (myself included).
    And the ones not excited are those that have never tried it.
  9. stayclean

stayclean Savant (360) Wisconsin Mar 17, 2012

The reviews sound pretty good to me, hope to be able to land a bottle.
  10. Everyone who is pumped about it should join the people who are disappointed and maybe more will be left on the shelves. I personally think that this is going to be sub par (do I mean it? Or do I just want to be able to find it more easily? I'll never tell!) .
    MichPaul likes this.
  11. MichPaul

MichPaul Advocate (635) Michigan Jan 28, 2012

There... Different beer!
  12. Hoppyum is 6.3% ABV, this one is 10%. I think it will be a little different than the Hoppyum. Also, did you try the BA seeing double? Fucking awesome.
    pimpinmidget likes this.
  13. CORKSCREWFISH

CORKSCREWFISH Savant (325) Illinois Apr 22, 2011

Oh Please!............The more realistic and relevant question to ask would be: What ever happened to trying a beer ....before hyping it?

I love how all the homers complain about all the beer hype...........unless that is, it's their hometown /fav brewery.

Then it's, all aboard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    teal likes this.
  14. CORKSCREWFISH

CORKSCREWFISH Savant (325) Illinois Apr 22, 2011

This is really really touching and might actually be realistic if Founder's was indeed "giving" us this beer.As it stands though,we're paying for it,we don't owe any more than the price we pay, and to be quite honest, you sound a bit high!

As for some of the other crap you're slinging around i.e....

"any beer is a good beer".... "We should NEVER complain".....Geez! Seriously?

I guess that does depend on your perspective. If I'm im lost in the desert with nothing to drink I suppose I might agree. Otherwise, keep on puff... puff......passing my friend!
  15. I haven't tried it, and I'm sure you're right about the two being different, but the Hoppyum experience has caused me to think I'm not going to be a fan of the IPA/bourbon combination regardless. Now, would I try this beer at a festival, a tasting, or in a sampling flight? Absolutely. However, I have no interest in seeking out and paying for a bottle of it, at least not without having tried a small amount.

I'm not even saying it's going to be a bad beer, just not the sort of thing I personally want to buy. For some reason, a lot of people in this thread are taking exception to this opinion. It's not about "Founders owes us CBS!", it's just "Hmm, I'm not interested in the sound of this new Founders release, I'll spend my limited money elsewhere". Do people get as defensive when others intimate they are going to pass on the latest Rogue Voodoo Doughnut bottle?
    BMitch and Heady978 like this.
  16. I had this beer at a SPTR Founders dinner and it was hands down the best beer of the night. I can't wait to try it again!
  17. Durb777

Durb777 Savant (415) Illinois Nov 30, 2011

So. Everyone on here is referring to the price of the backstage series and the last one to come out was Bolt Cutter at $23 a bottle. Does it state somewhere that, that is not the price of Doom. You stated don't blame Founders blame the distributor when Founders was the one charging $23 a bottle.
  18. I have no idea why anyone would put a IIPA in a barrel. Definitely not paying 23 dollars for a bomber when I can buy close to two sixers of Sucks for the same price.
  19. That's a problem too but people are getting all butthurt and dismissing the beer because they don't like the style or it isn't what they want to be made. It may be great, it may be good it may suck but these people don't know unless they try it.
  20. Steve212

Steve212 Aficionado (195) New York Dec 13, 2012

Was $23 the MSRP? Just trying to gauge what it would be at retail here. I paid around $25 I think for my bolt cutter here in NYC.
  21. Durb777

I don't know what the MSRP was but it was $23 at the brewery and it was $23 around the Chicago area.
  22. BMitch

BMitch Aficionado (235) Virginia Jul 10, 2012

Reasonable and well-said response.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with not being excited about a new release. People like yourself, who see BA IPA and think "Meh, not really my cup of tea" are perfectly fine in thinking so. No one has to like or search out every single special release out there.

On the other hand, there is a difference between simply not being interested/excited in a new beer versus making definitive statements like "what a waste", "going to be terrible" or "booo Founders" before it's even been released. I get it, maybe it's not your style, maybe you think it's a bad idea and because of that you're preconceived to think it won't be any good... but that's not necessarily a great reason to automatically dismiss a beer as being terrible before you've even had a chance to try it. To me, some of the overly negative responses reek of people being mad that Founders is not giving them exactly what they wanted instead. (BTW- none of this is directed at you JulianB, as you stated you'd at least be willing to try it before forming a final opinion).

I guess for me, it boils down to being more of an open-minded person who's willing to give something a shot first instead of just immediately writing it off. I'm not saying Doom is going to be world-class because without ever trying it I have NO idea right now; and hey maybe it does end up being a vile drain-pour, but I'll at least have tried it first before reaching that conclusion.
    chanokokoro, MichPaul and mjshearer1 like this.
  23. I hope all the haters steer clear of this one.
    MORE FOR ME!
    Seriously, I had Hand of Doom at an EBF a few years ago, and it was awesome.
  24. MSRP for Doom is $13: http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2013/02/meet_your_doom_the_first_found.html

It does seem to me that their MSRPs are usually a few dollars lower than what most places charge though so I expect this one in the $15 range.
  25. MichPaul

Not sure where they got the news from, but someone quoted Founders as saying the "Suggested retail price" FROM Founders was going to be $12.99. Then your store can mark it up from there. Not sure where they got their info from though...
    Ha! You beat me to that reply! :p
  26. Durb777

Got it I didn't see someone quote it as a MSRP. If it really is $12.99 MSRP I really doubt there will many retail shops listing it for $23. Sorry and thanks for the info.
  27. MichPaul

No problem, keep in mind that some stores will continue to gouge. But at least for this release, the blame can't be placed on Founders... I have stopped going to a few stores in my area for this reason. Either an owner's snobby attitude, or just overpriced bottles.
    Durb777 likes this.
  28. I only drink my IPAs when they're aged in 200+yr old tierçons
  29. #FirstWorldProblems
    chanokokoro likes this.
  30. SteelersX

SteelersX Savant (420) New York Jan 30, 2011

31. Knapp85

Knapp85 Advocate (690) Pennsylvania Dec 25, 2009

Oh man, I liked Bolt Cutter. To each their own though.
  32. zstef99

zstef99 Aficionado (180) New York Dec 25, 2008

Never had a barrel-aged IPA. I will give this one a shot if it's actually available around the $13 price that's been discussed. Honestly, I'm having a hard time envisioning how the combination of flavors would work, but if anyone can pull it off it's Founders.
  33. The more I think about it, I suppose my feeling is thus. If I knew this was going to be released widely and be decently available for a few weeks at around 12 dollars a bottle, I would be excited.
  34. Bay01

Bay01 Savant (435) Illinois Nov 19, 2008

You mean you aren't personally insulted that they aren't putting out a beer specifically designed for you? Come on, they're MAKING you buy a beer you may not like (even though you haven't had it).
  35. steebo777

steebo777 Advocate (535) Michigan Jun 30, 2009

100% agree.
  36. bushycook

bushycook Aficionado (215) Virginia Jan 31, 2011

I've acquired at least one of all of these Backstage releases so far (x3 on the CBS:D), so yeah, gotta catch 'em all! No matter what it'll be way better than FMB, it just has to.
  37. ridglens

ridglens Initiate (0) Indiana Jan 10, 2010

i think we are all (well most) just still a little butthurt about bolt cutter. we all got caught up in the hype and all paid $25 for probably as many bottles as we could find/get our hands on/afford... and then it was kinda meh. it wasn't even bad, it just wasn't a "$25 anniversary Founders barrel-aged awesomeness and next king henry that also made up for FMB"*.....

i'll admit i wasn't super stoked about this Doom stuff, but the $13 price point means ill definitely try and grab one or two to try out. it's still Founders, it will probably be great. let's just all "forgive them" (ha!) for giving us all the opportunity to freak out and spend tons of money and time and effort on a beer none of us had ever tried. we'll all be ok guys, hell they still make KBS!

*FWIW, i liked FMB!

Cheers!
    Gosox8787 likes this.
  38. chanokokoro

chanokokoro Advocate (590) Illinois Jan 31, 2012

Lesson to be learned here: don't dump a bunch of money on multiple bottles of beer solely due to hype.
  39. BUT SHELFWALES BRO
    Gosox8787 and chanokokoro like this.
  40. chanokokoro

chanokokoro Advocate (590) Illinois Jan 31, 2012

This.

I'll never judge a beer until I actually have it--and I think it borders on ignorance to do so. At one time I would imagine that aging ales in bourbon barrels or adding coffee to a perfectly good stout might have been considered a "waste" as well.