1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Newest Founder's Backstage Series - Doom

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by GehenHerzog, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Blanco

Blanco Savant (490) Pennsylvania Oct 11, 2008

I would try this, but I'd be lying if I said I was excited. Does that make me a butthurt, entitled whiner? Apparently if you don't cheer for every beer released, yes.

CMUbrew, seeswo and Centennial like this.
  2. hoptualBrew

hoptualBrew Savant (485) Florida May 29, 2011

I don't think IIPA and bourbon barrels should engage each other. Could be wrong though.

3. BigB415

BigB415 Savant (290) California Aug 24, 2010

Looks like I'll have an opportunity to try this when I make it to Founders for the first time in April.

4. Passing on this, if I could even find it.

Centennial likes this.
  5. steebo777

steebo777 Advocate (535) Michigan Jun 30, 2009

All? Most?

Most reviews reviews have this to say, which says otherwise... Just sayin ;)

BA SCORE
    exceptional
    -
    460 Ratings
    rAvg: 4.07
    pDev: 14.99%
    Reviews: 126
    Hads: 334

6. ridglens

ridglens Initiate (0) Indiana Jan 10, 2010

like i said, it wasn't "bad"... but a 4.07 is not what was "expected", they/we all expected a 4.75 rare monster of a beer King-Henry type, which isn't exactly what we got. i'm not saying everyone hated it, i'm just saying there was a whole lot of hype for a beer that didn't exactly live up to the expectations we all had for it. I'm not upset at all, i'm one of the idiots clamoring for a bottle no ones ever even tried before, and it was an ok beer. no hard feelings here, just saying that if it were a knockout, there would be zero negative comments in this thread and nothing but hype for this Doom stuff. now some people are hesitating just a bit.

no big dela either way, i'll try and get a bottle but won't kill myself over it. i'm sure it will be, at the very least, a "good" beer, which is what Bolt Cutter was ;).

effyeaAB and Scalzo like this.
  7. Scalzo

Scalzo Savant (375) Illinois Feb 27, 2012

Bolt Cutter was good but not 22-25$ good.

I was hoping for a less hoppy english influenced barleywine

effyeaAB likes this.
  8. kylelenk

kylelenk Savant (350) Michigan Apr 17, 2012

I feel like the general mentality is non-BBA FIS/Black Biscuit/CBS=general disappointment. I've had Looking Glass before and it was stellar. Founders' barrel aging is really good. Rarely have they put out a BA taproom release that disappoints.

Jerome1929 likes this.
  9. Jose2412

Jose2412 Aficionado (240) Michigan Feb 25, 2012

Looking forward to easily getting this, since so many people were cursing Founders after the KBS tickets went on sale.

Oh, wait.

10. I believe they are dry hopping it in the barrels to maintain the hop character, but I could have misread the description on the site.

Im my opinion Founders rarely disappoints and I have no problem spending $12.99 on a bottle of somewhat experimental beer from a very reputable brewery. I think it's kind of silly to judge something that hasn't crossed your pallet. How do you know that this won't be the first BA DIPA to be done right and change your mind about what can/should be barrel aged?

mjshearer1 likes this.
  11. kylelenk

kylelenk Savant (350) Michigan Apr 17, 2012

Not saying it's going to be bad. Just mentioning that $12.99 seems ridiculously inexpensive for the category it's in (given the price points seen on BBA beers). In retrospect, FMB was at the same price point. I can guess the low cost can be attributed to the almost certainty that a portion of last year's DT batch was simply transferred into barrels. Associated costs of this process are probably marginal.

12. So because FMB was questionable and Doom will be the same price, it must be no good too?
    They must be using DT from last year???
    A lot of assumptions beings made here.

13. I wish Founders would branch out a bit more. A double IPA.....and it's barrel-aged? These are both overdone at the moment.

They brew some legendary stuff, I'd like see what they can do with other styles. Maybe a lager, a hefeweizen, perhaps a sessionable beer under 5%.

Pardon me if I don't go from "6 to midnight" over ANOTHER high octane double IPA and ANOTHER limited barrel-aged beer.

14. Blanco

Blanco Savant (490) Pennsylvania Oct 11, 2008

All Day IPA is 4.5%.

15. steebo777

steebo777 Advocate (535) Michigan Jun 30, 2009

On top of all day IPA, their Mountain Brown series has 5% session able browns.

16. Yep, totally forgot about All Day IPA, I actually have some in my fridge right now. I wouldn't exactly say that's branching out since it's still an IPA (maybe if it were a bitter?).

Is the Mountain Brown series well-distributed, can't say I've seen it in MA. We just received All Day IPA too.

17. I got to try this as Extreme Beer Fest last weekend and I don't think the flavors meshed very well. It was very hoppy up front and and the hoppy/barrel finish just didn't work. I'm sure some people enjoyed it but it was not for me.

Founders also had their spicy pepper beer "Spite" which literally burned the back of your throat as though you ate a hot pepper. I give them credit for going with the "Extreme" theme of the festival but why anyone would want to drink that is beyond me.

18. biga7346

biga7346 Savant (255) Michigan Jun 19, 2010

I remember having Hand of Doom (why the name change?) at Ypsi beer fest in 06-07-ish, and really liking it.

19. I actually talked to Dave Engbers about that. I remembered Hand of Doom being much hoppier when I first had it a couple years ago an earlier EBF. I asked if this was the version that was being bottled and sold as "Doom".
    To my great relief, what was being poured at this year's EBF was actually an old sixtel that had been kept from the LAST time they served it. So, what we drank last weekend was a 2-3 year old version.

20. mdfb79

mdfb79 Advocate (670) New York Jan 11, 2010

Spite was rough...I think the only beer I poured out at the fest. Way too much for me; made sure I rinsed my glass a few times after that one.

21. Founders still leads the way for the rest

AndrewLenaghan likes this.
  22. I didn't realize that. Now I'm curious to try it in the bottle.

I met Dave at the festival as well, very cool guy!

23. I did finish my small tasting of it, but I rinsed mine thoroughly as well.

24. I had hand of doom years back at EBF. It was great.. could tell there was double trouble in there.. hidden by a wall of bourbon flavors!