1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Newest Great Dane Unleashed beer. Black BW with Cherries

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by madtowndmb1, Jan 11, 2013.

1. madtowndmb1

madtowndmb1 Savant (360) Wisconsin Oct 17, 2007

I saw this at the local shop today and am wondering if anyone has tried it yet? It comes with a higher price tag seemingly than the last one but I could see it given the style. I'm thinking about popping on a bottle to see, I see it hasn't even been added here yet.

Cheers,
    Kyle
  2. bpfrush

bpfrush Advocate (535) Wisconsin Jan 24, 2009

I am curious about this as well. I'll let you know if I give it a go.
  3. I got a bottle. Curiousity got the best of me. I will report back...
  4. madtowndmb1

madtowndmb1 Savant (360) Wisconsin Oct 17, 2007

The Old Scratch has always been a really good BW, so if this is the same recipe it has real potential to be awesome. I did see on the bottle it was brewed and bottled in Wausau though.
  5. _Joe_

_Joe_ Zealot (85) California Nov 2, 2012

I tried this last week. I had never had Old Scratch in the past, so I'm not sure what it tasted like before, but I really didn't like it. It was quite sour, which I was not expecting. just my opinion
  6. I had a bottle of this over the Christmas holiday and enjoyed it. The taste was good and the cherry was readily apparent but not overpowering...I thought it was smooth and was expecting some alcohol burn from it, I was pleasantly surprised there wasn't much. Although my wife tried it and immediately thought it was boozy...lol. Apparently my taste buds differ from hers...
    It was good...dunno if it was worth the price though. If this was closer to $8-$9, I'd probably buy more but at $15 per....probably not.
  7. tclang

tclang Aficionado (190) Wisconsin Nov 11, 2011

I had a bottle over Xmas as well. It did not appear to be a BW, but instead a black ale. The cherries were better than expected. I was gifted two bottles by my brother, so I didn't have to deal with any price considerations.