1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

News on Surly's new brewery

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by zeledonia, Sep 28, 2012.

1. zeledonia

zeledonia Advocate (545) Minnesota Nov 23, 2008

motorhed likes this.
  2. motorhed

motorhed Savant (300) Minnesota Oct 27, 2008

thanks for sharing, i had hear rumors about this site but now it looks to be semi-official.

3. Revenant

Revenant Savant (350) Minnesota Aug 8, 2012

Bah. I knew St Paul never stood a chance.

4. motorhed

nothing been decided yet, sounds like they need to get a substancial amount of $ from the city to clean up that site. BTW - doesn't St.Paul already have the two best beer bars in the state and quite a few breweries on top of that? ;-)

Revenant likes this.
  5. incutrav

incutrav Savant (315) Minnesota Jan 16, 2007

Depends on what you mean by 'quite a few'. Summit, Flat Earth are the only production breweries in St Paul. Nothing new has sprouted up since '07. Last City is at some point, in theory.

6. maximum12

maximum12 Champion (755) Minnesota Jan 21, 2008

Can't get much closer to St. Paul without being in it.

On the plus side, this is within biking distance of my parent's house. Might have to dust of the two-wheeler...

WisconsinBeer198 and Revenant like this.
  7. Definitely not a scenic area by any means

8. The site is in both Minneapolis and St Paul.

9. Surly will finally unite and reconcile all of us.

10. I'm definitely right there with you. Huh.

11. Revenant

Revenant Savant (350) Minnesota Aug 8, 2012

Well if it's anywhere near Marshall Ave I am in luck.

12. This is literally 4 blocks from where I live. Yes. Also yes, the area is very industrial and pretty ugly but once this thing is built it will be a total turnaround.

hopdragon likes this.
  13. Hurry the F up already Surly! They haven't even picked a damn location yet? Why is it taking so long to pick a location?

Ejayz likes this.
  14. MNPikey

MNPikey Advocate (500) Minnesota Feb 27, 2011

I predict the area willl become the next 'warehouse district' with high end condos, retail, and entertainment....

Also: big fan of Surly but F them and their attempt at a corporate bailout/assistance.

pmccallum86 likes this.
  15. Sender

Sender Initiate (0) Minnesota Sep 19, 2010

Do you like sports?

Alpar, feloniousmonk and Cyclone8 like this.
  16. herman77

herman77 Advocate (525) Minnesota Jan 24, 2010

It's a 100 year decision. Everything has to be perfect. If it takes a few extra months or a year... so be it.

maximum12 likes this.
  17. I understand that but they are looking in one area (twin cities), not the whole country! And, it has been a year almost since they passed the bill to let them build the new brewery.

18. morimech

morimech Advocate (710) Minnesota Nov 6, 2006

I am sure many MN BA's had their complaints about that as well. I am OK with taxpayer money going towards cleaning up the site allowing construction to begin. It is a short leash I am giving however.

19. Yulles

Yulles Savant (305) Minnesota Apr 12, 2009

First off, bailouts and assistance are two completely different things, so lumping them together is at best misleading. Second, when done properly, things like development grants,which will help clean up and reviatalize otherwise unusable sites, and tax increment financing (not sure if Surly will be using such a scheme) are beneficial to the company, the city, and the citizenry as a whole.

I am sure people were outraged when Summit was able to purchase their land from the city of St. Paul for a pittance (I believe just a dollar) but there were strings attached that not only raised the tax base but the quality of lives of employees. It does have to be done right, but when it is, it can be very beneficial to all parties.

tewaris, seeswo, cmannes and 2 others like this.
  20. Brownfield development should almost always be looked at as a positive.... Money is invested into a dead/dying part of the city to breathe life in that area and potentially attract other suitors

herman77 likes this.
  21. mnstorm99

mnstorm99 Advocate (535) Minnesota May 11, 2007

Which two?
    I want to agree with you, but that area will make the money back with this acquisition IMO

22. I cant believe I am the first one to say this, the site will be ready, when its ready.

23. MNPikey

MNPikey Advocate (500) Minnesota Feb 27, 2011

Not corporate bailout....corporate welfare.

I don't watch sport. I like to play hockey.

I don't sit in front of the TV cheering on "my team" thinking delusionally that I am somehow part of the game/team and having an impact on the game's outcome. All while wearing a team jersey and sometimes a jersey with another mans name on the back, LOL. I only thought woman did that when they were dating a player?

24. maximum12

maximum12 Champion (755) Minnesota Jan 21, 2008

Well, corporations fucked up the land in the first place. Who's going to clean it up, exactly? The responsible corporation? <snort> I'd love to hear your thoughts on what's going to happen to this land & who should pay to clean it up.

Don't like sports? Goody for you. At least type a rant that makes sense on the subject.

TheDudeRules and biglobo8971 like this.
  25. Shag

Shag Savant (250) Minnesota Jun 27, 2007

Hooray for you. You're clearly better than those of us who enjoy watching sports. Enjoy your view from on high when I'm watching football, drinking beer, and having a great time with friends tomorrow...

26. elshaggy

elshaggy Aficionado (205) Minnesota Jul 12, 2009

And eating from a spread of great food!

To get back OT:
    I don't care if they build in an industrial zone that isn't riverfront and the most scenic place in the state of MN. Stone is the most inconspicuous building, but once inside its an oasis of great beer. Industrial is Surly, from their current brewery to their brand attitude. As nice as a riverfront location could be, I'd rather beagle to buy Surly's seasonal offerings here in the next few years than visit some Mecca half a dozen times a year. Fact of the matter is we need more beer!

djschnabel likes this.
  27. Ungertaker

Ungertaker Savant (460) Minnesota Apr 30, 2010

This is common practice amongst businesses to request this type of assistance (and common practice for cities to grant it). In the long run, bringing in an anchor business to an otherwise vacant space allows for a complete revitalization of the area . The cost to the city is far outweighed by the potential benefit of having a new tax base in the area. Take Downtown Saint Paul as an example of what happens when a city does this (Lawson Software and the Xcel Energy Center).

motorhed likes this.
  28. bergbrew

bergbrew Savant (270) Minnesota Jan 12, 2004

Not related to Surly, but didn't the Lawson move lead to the closing of Shannon Kelly's brewpub?

29. Ungertaker

Ungertaker Savant (460) Minnesota Apr 30, 2010

I am not sure about that.

30. mjryan

mjryan Advocate (515) Minnesota Dec 22, 2007

Holy shit Shannon Kelly. I totally forgot about that place.

31. mjryan

mjryan Advocate (515) Minnesota Dec 22, 2007

And seriously, cities helping businesses revitalize neighborhoods, create jobs, new tax revenue, etc. is a bad thing?

32. motorhed

33. Putting your Tap room right next to one of the largest college student bodies in the country is a great movefor the business I approve. 50,000 kids on campus, half of whom are of age and very thirsty. Oh and you can walk to TCF Bank stadium from this site as well, which would be cool if Omar wanted to do some kind of Tailgating thing on saturdays.

tewaris likes this.
  34. mnstorm99

mnstorm99 Advocate (535) Minnesota May 11, 2007

I figured as much...I however am not a fan of Happy Gnome in any given way (keeping opinions to myself). Muddy Pig...all day long though :).

35. Shag

Shag Savant (250) Minnesota Jun 27, 2007

You're entitled to your opinion, as stupid and insane as it might be... ;)

mnstorm99 likes this.
  36. JohnBierman

JohnBierman Savant (265) Minnesota Sep 27, 2006

This site may prove to be a bit difficult. Many of you know that I operated Stub and Herbs from 1998 to 2010. The site that Surly is looking at would fall in the Prospect Park neighborhood. Prospect Park is very tough on alcohol legislation (many home/business owners in that part of town want less alcohol to be available near the college kids). Their neighborhood association is one of the main reasons that it took 4 years to make beer available in TCF Bank stadium. New bars in that part of town are not aloud to hang signs that advertise alcohol (including neon signs) in windows that face public streets. I know of 1 bar in that neighboorhood that has to offer free food whenever they have any discount on beer or alcohol (they are also not aloud to advertise specials as a "happy hour"). The same neighborhood was one of the big opponents to changing the bar close time in MN from 1am to 2am (seriously dating myself with that comment).

I went to many neighborhood association meetings in that part of town for: the smoking ban, stadium legislation, 2am bar close, etc. etc. Surly will most likely need the help of Surly nation, the city of MPLS, the Mn Beer Activists and others to sell this to that neighborhood. Get ready for a fight. That said, Omar likes a good fight! Best of luck!

FreshmanPour77 likes this.
  37. djschnabel

djschnabel Savant (255) Minnesota Jan 30, 2010

My guess is that it will be announced on darkness day...

38. Take a trip to Three Floyds sometime. It's in an industrial park, too. But it's an awesome destination brewery.

motorhed likes this.
  39. Because of you. you are the reason. Stop whatever you're doing, right now, and things will go a lot faster.

minnesotaryan likes this.
  40. "beagle"? Is this code for something? (And don't you go blame auto-correct!)