1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Next Backstage beer - Mango Magnifico

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by Bay01, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Bay01

Bay01 Savant (435) Illinois Nov 19, 2008

2. Doesnt sound good to me, I'd be interested in trying a sip or 2 but I won't be buying a $14+ bottle.
  3. Hugonaut13

Hugonaut13 Advocate (710) Illinois Nov 29, 2012

Looking forward to this. It'll keep me from having to trade for one of those CCB Mango Habanero growlers! :p
  4. Sounds interesting at least. Hopefully the Mango is present and not all Habaneros
    SWChi, Benish and semibaked like this.
  5. Busker

Busker Savant (315) Connecticut Apr 17, 2008

We may have a winner for the first Founders beer I won't like.
    jplopez21, Mavajo, ColdOne and 3 others like this.
  6. WTF Founders, i can't even find a mention of this under beers they have brewed. I love they say its a beer for the summer months....who the hell wants a 10 percent beer with peppers for summer. Gimme Black Biscuit dammit.
    Robtobfest, Mavajo and ChiTownPackFan like this.
  7. BorisKarloff

BorisKarloff Savant (315) Ohio Apr 29, 2013

<---This guy.
  8. Dope

Dope Advocate (545) Massachusetts Oct 5, 2010

Me. Sounds delicious!

Dope
    Murphey, swolepeer, cosmonick and 7 others like this.
  9. mpayne5

mpayne5 Advocate (545) Indiana Aug 18, 2011

I'm definitely looking forward to this as I love beers infused with peppers.
    Murphey, HarmonMW and KWMiles like this.
  10. FrankHammer

FrankHammer Savant (475) Michigan Jan 31, 2013

Lulz at the previous thread. Everyone got it right!!!!
    mikeburd1128 and Beerontwowheels like this.
  11. Mattco

Mattco Savant (250) Illinois Jun 5, 2011

Raising Hand
  12. bkrefetz

bkrefetz Aficionado (165) New York Apr 19, 2008

One more release in 2013, I'm guessing it will be big, dark and strong next time around.
    ChiTownPackFan and ChadlyG like this.
  13. Prh27

Prh27 Savant (310) Virginia Apr 24, 2012

You mean they brewed what they wanted instead of pleasing everybody else? Blasphemy. I don't find it appealing nor appalling. I think their Backstage series is something for them to really experiment with their passion instead of appeasing the masses.
    Kyrojack, Murphey, swolepeer and 16 others like this.
  14. As someone that was just at Founders 2 weeks ago and tried the BA Habenero Spite and BA Poblano Spite, this should be awesome. Both of those beers had killer flavor and heat, but very drinkable. Adding mango to the mix is great, sweet and heat balance each other like malt and hops. Can't wait to try it.
    SadMachine and steebo777 like this.
  15. 2Xmd

2Xmd Savant (480) New York Apr 19, 2013

Next!!!!
  16. mjshearer1

mjshearer1 Savant (445) Michigan Dec 16, 2011

I will definitely be getting bottles of this. Sounds very interesting.
    JohnB87 and Zaphog like this.
  17. yankeepride

yankeepride Savant (285) New Jersey Jan 16, 2011

Mmmmm, mango. As much as they irritate the (expletive deleted) out of me with their business practices, I have come to trust their beers. This one will be no different; I can't wait to try it.
  18. Excellent! I will definitely pick up a couple. Hopefully the habaneros aren't too pungent. The mango should help balance it out.
  19. steebo777

steebo777 Advocate (535) Michigan Jun 30, 2009

OMG Founders is the worst brewery ever! I can't believe they will release this and not BA <insert name here>!!! I'm totally never buying their stuff again as I only drink .rar barrel whales.

Then again, this sounds quite deeeeelish.

Also, for the lazy:

Posted on June 5, 2013 by Sarah
    We plan to introduce Mango Magnifico con Calor [Magnificent Mango with Heat], a fruit beer brewed with mango and a touch of habanero, this August to mark the seventh installment in our Backstage Series. Like all Backstage Series beers, Mango Magnifico will be sold in 750mL bottles. It will have a suggested retail price of $12.99 per bottle.​
    [​IMG]
    Mango Magnifico is a never-before-released, high-gravity fruit beer brewed with mango and Michigan-grown habaneros. Each 750mL bottle of this 10% ABV ale is intended to be shared. Not a traditional fruit beer, the delicate tropical fruit in Mango Magnifico is punctuated by a hint of heat, increasing the overall depth of flavor and adding another level of complexity. It will be a refreshing drink for the warm summer months.
    “Mango Magnifico, like the entire Backstage Series, is intended to push the boundaries of what is commonly accepted in beer styles,” said Co-Founder and Vice President of Brand & Education Dave Engbers. “The Backstage Series is the perfect conduit to showcase our brewing team’s creativity.”
    We’ve had success with their interpretation of fruit beers, including the likes of Cerise, Rubaeus and Blushing Monk. But Mango Magnifico is one-of-a-kind.
    Mango Magnifico will be released in limited quantities across our distribution footprint beginning on Monday, August 5, and will be available at the brewery’s taproom the week prior. We expect to release one more Backstage Series beer in 2013.
  20. kylelenk

kylelenk Savant (350) Michigan Apr 17, 2012

Interesting choice. Something new. I believe Founders really shot themselves in the foot by setting Backstage Series precedence with Blushing Monk, CBS, and Better Half (Kaiser Curmudgeon) to open creating the feeling that all releases would be those taproom only whales and that anything other than a rerelease or Black Biscuit or Cashew Mountain Brown is now met with disappointment.

Will it likely be tasty? Yes. In my humble opinion, I don't think they've quite nailed the fruit category in the past (like they have with IPA and Stouts). Maybe this will be the time.
    thenamestsam and SadMachine like this.
  21. steebo777

steebo777 Advocate (535) Michigan Jun 30, 2009

Really? Blushing Monk and Rubeus are top notch for their styles IMO.

Cerise was good not great though.
    ChadlyG likes this.
  22. tommyz

tommyz Savant (485) Michigan May 28, 2007

Blushing Monk,Cerise, and Rubaeus are all great beers imo...
  23. ridglens

ridglens Initiate (0) Indiana Jan 10, 2010

Anyone else thinking "meh"?... i'll probably try to get one to try, but i'm becoming disillusioned with this series. CBS was good but IMO had some crazy bottle variation and fell off a cliff pretty quick. Better Half and BM were good, but the others have all been sorta mediocre. I mean none were bad (insert Bolt Cutter joke), but i just don't get jazzed for these announcements like i used to, too many much better beers out there.

I thought this series was supposed to be the big fan-favorites that they weren't able to bottle before that we've all read about and drooled over? Ya know, like Black Biscuit, CBS, maybe that awesome Devil's Cut KBS or whatever... Seems more like a bit of a parade of semi-goofy stuff, BA IPAs and fruit/pepper beer...

I mean it's their brewery, they can do what they want, i enjoy many of their beers and always will. I've just been a bit disappointed with their selected beers of late, when they have the capability of blowing our socks off and instead just ship something mildly innovative/interesting.

oh well, Breakfast Stout is killer!
  24. Benny3000

Benny3000 Savant (375) Michigan Apr 4, 2012

I am more interested in this release than any of their other Backstage Series beers. Sounds incredible.
    blazegeneral likes this.
  25. tommyz

tommyz Savant (485) Michigan May 28, 2007

lol, and there it is..But,but, Black Biscuit...CBS.....lol
    bradner, Steimie and steebo777 like this.
  26. MUMike

MUMike Aficionado (145) Missouri Feb 3, 2012

I'm only buying a bottle if I get a free bowl of chips and salsa with it.
  27. jawzman

jawzman Aficionado (210) Minnesota Mar 20, 2010

It's hard to get excited for this... Hope this surprises me, but I'm not holding my breath.
  28. mjshearer1

I think most of the beef with this series boils down to this sentiment:

Which is excellently analyzed:

But ultimately:

cjoc83, cosmonick, deuce9259 and 13 others like this.
  29. CMUbrew

CMUbrew Savant (425) Michigan Jan 27, 2012

Interesting, but doesn't really sound that great (I know, I know, I haven't even tried it yet). I'll be leaving the bottles on the shelf and just wait for it to show up on-tap.
  30. drgarage

drgarage Initiate (0) California Aug 19, 2008

It would just be useful to know what style the base beer is. Did they start with a DIPA? A barleywine?
  31. Bonis

Bonis Savant (410) Ohio Jul 28, 2010

Don't buy it.. Hopefully I see it, because I haven't even seen a backstage beer since Blushing Monk. IMHO, this sounds like it will be better than Doom. Love me some spice in a beer. The mango/habanero combo sounds like it'll be nice.
  32. strangebrew321

strangebrew321 Savant (370) Indiana Feb 18, 2009

Couldn't be more excited about a summer Backstage release. Let's hope it's followed by the bi-annual fall release of CBS!
    effyeaAB likes this.
  33. mjshearer1

They had a Main Guy Mango beer on tap as a one-off, I would assume that if the base beer isn't that, it's very similar. I would just categorize it as a fruit beer if you're comfortable with labels.
  34. strangebrew321

strangebrew321 Savant (370) Indiana Feb 18, 2009

One of a kind man, one of a kind :)
  35. I, for one, am excited. Glad they added another fruit beer. I was devastated when I heard they were taking cerise out this year. And habanero has been on my radar.
  36. Brew33

Brew33 Advocate (610) Ohio Oct 24, 2007

I'll pick this up if I see it on the shelf but I'm not making a special trip for it.
  37. MichPaul

MichPaul Advocate (635) Michigan Jan 28, 2012

Good thing, don't think you will have a hard time getting your hands on it...
  38. I'm interested in this, just because I don't believe I've ever had anything quite like it. Definitely will be picking up a bottle.
  39. This sounds like it could be delicious! I love the idea of sweet tropical fruit being cut with some heat! Hopefully it will all come together well =)
  40. Steimie

Steimie Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

Love that so many folks presume to know what the Backstage beers "should be" or what "expectations" Founders has set (and missed).

Entitlement, FTW.