1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Next Jackie O's release

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by vrbulldog22, Nov 14, 2012.

1. TheBeerologist

TheBeerologist Member

Agreed, and if this had been a late nite ticket release and I still lived in Athens, I too would have been bummed about not getting beers, though I would have accepted that it was my fault for not being in line as early as possible.

I hope those that didn't get all the bottles they wanted were at least able to have a good time and enjoy what was on tap.
    gpawned, miketd and MarkIntihar like this.
  2. Corbet

Corbet Member

Honestly, nowadays, I wouldn't take any advice when it comes to arriving at a specific time for an event. Arrive 3-4 hours before, at the very least, no matter what anybody says.

Lawson's in Vermont told people specifically that they'd have beer all day at the Farmer's Market last weekend. What happened? They were sold out of the most popular offerings in a matter of hours.

Dark Horse 4 Elf? Everybody said to arrive at 11 when they started passing out tokens. What happened? You had to get there at least an hour and a half before they started passing out tokens to get all of the beers being sold.
  3. TroyG2352

TroyG2352 Member

why am I getting these messsages to my inbox?
    Everyone knows that HE is one of (The main one) people who were walking up and down the line asking to buy additional bottles from people who didn't want their entire allotment..... everyone agrees that doing that is shitty, yet nobody calls him out on it because I guess he's shared some good beers with them before.... :confused:

Also, his "WHALE" BIF is so fucking rigged so he gets whatever he wants every time... people look the other way on that too.
    Theeabyss likes this.
  4. seeswo

seeswo Member

I am sorry man, I don't want to be that guy, but you have gone off the rails...
    Urbancaver likes this.
  5. Urbancaver

Urbancaver Member

Not sure what I did to you to cause such personal anguish but I hope you get over it. I don't know you, care about you, or ever intend to interact with you and yet you harbor so much resentment and anger towards me that it is bubbling through your post.

Its not healthy and I hope you seek some form of help before you pop a blood vessel over some guy on the internet.
  6. joshrosborne

joshrosborne Member

Jesus, you are a little crybaby. Just shut the hell up and deal with it. It's beer. I'm not sure the last time I've seen such an entitled whiner.
    fiedler84, tat2dhllblly and gpawned like this.
  7. gpawned

gpawned Member

Josh, tell him how you got to Jackie O's early on Friday afternoon, lost your Feb. ticket and got shut out of OGP, Rum Oil and Dark App and decided not to make a big deal about it because even the day of it wasn't unreasonable to think that a june ticket would still get some.
    seeswo and joshrosborne like this.
  8. joshrosborne

joshrosborne Member

And I still had an awesome time.

Also, I'd love to know where the hell that calendar page went.
  9. bullet2urbrain

bullet2urbrain Member

Still. just. beer. and the Internet.

The industry is booming and changing, for the next JO release everyone now knows that Saturday Am showing up will likely not net you bottles, if the awesome taps doesn't mean a rewarding experience enough you must plan to be there early, 4pm on Friday doesn't seem unreasonable if possessing the full allotment means that much to you.
  10. eyeenjoybeer

eyeenjoybeer Member

There is an important question in what you say.
    Cam does do this and/or have a few mules, but do we as a community frown upon this type of activity? He is not alone at JO's or other places, so I don't think that singling him out serves an honest purpose. Significant others are often accepted as mules (I bring my gf), but where is the line of unacceptable? This activity definitely affects the likelihood of folks getting beers further down the line; let's not feign otherwise. An important part of your comments is "...yet nobody calls him out..." This is similar to the weak response to line cutters at releases - mostly muted. Does this mean that our community rules are unclear? Or maybe we are all a bunch of pussies for not saying something at the moment? Other?
    uncle_cholly and MarkIntihar like this.
  11. gpawned

gpawned Member

The rules as stated by the brewery are where the line is to be drawn.

If someone brings a friend/wife/othermule that is both allowed and benefits the brewery in that this person will be eating and drinking while on the premises. If you convince a friend to buy more than their allotment so that you can get extra, whether it is for yourself or for someone else who wants it, that is also allowed.

While there are people who this may affect, they are not entitled since the the person who bought the bottle is entitled to a full allotment and can do with it as they please (mule/trade/drink/smashontheground).

If you want to play the game, do so. If you don't, that's your choice. What Cam, myself and many others did was not against the rules. Those who broke the rules should be admonished.

When it comes to brewery releases, get there early and often if you want to get the beer.
    miketd, uncle_cholly and MordorMongo like this.
  12. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Member

I redact all prior statements and think you REALLY need to start pushing some plates bro. This aggression will not stand and you need to find yourself an outlet other than a beer forum. And also, ever dawn on you that people in line maybe WANTED to trade? I know nothing of the WHALE BIF but know there have been several so if it was THAT rigged I am guessing Cam would have been on blast about 1,000 times by now but vigilantes such as you.
    uncle_cholly and gpawned like this.
  13. eyeenjoybeer

eyeenjoybeer Member

This type of action seems contrary to the notion of being a "good BA" and sharing. A counter might be that the person getting extra bottles will redistribute them to their peers, but do these peers have more right than those who made the trek to the release?

I am pointing out that many folks are deferring to the rules as laid out by others. The brewery does not have an official stance on this and as well they shouldn't,. We as a community have a set of rules that are poorly defined and enforced. So in some interpretations of our communal rules, you may be in violation.

"When it comes to brewery releases, get there early and often if you want to get the beer." Sure, but those who keep throwing this down ought to be sober about how this could appear to conflict with being a "good BA." If one doesn't claim to be a part of the community, then I suppose their hands are washed.

Let me be personally clear, I don't know the answers to most of this stuff and I don't intend to judge anyone here. I do see a lot of conflicting points of view that are consistently popping up across a lot of releases. I don't know that this is making any meaningful progress in the meantime or if I am just wasting a dreary day pushing buttons.
  14. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Member

Not that I need to post anymore in this thread, but I will give a decent shot at this. Mules are not against the rules the breweries place therefore mules are A-OK until they aren't. My wife goes to releases with me, she DOES drink beer but would she have gone without me? No....so she could be defined as a mule (like your GF, and many others).

Now I will be upfront here and let the haters hate. I am a huge Jackie O's fan as anyone that knows me will attest. I could not make this release, just wasn't feasible without life disruption. So, a great BA (gpawned here), offered to TRY and get me some bottles. So he did. I did not ask for, or get, a full allocation. I didn't even request each bottle or anything, and in fact due to the crowd I wasn't able to get all I *wanted* but yes I got some. Would I have cried if I got nothing? Nope. And he will attest I always referred to it as my *dream list*, meaning if everything went perfect and if like in releases past extras were available and such. He called me from event and we made some adjustments, etc. OK I am sure that pisses people off. I will say this though....I am a huge Jackie O's supporter and have been to releases.....if what I did was wrong I would have never asked anyone to do it out of respect for the brewery, but it isn't so I did. If it wasn't allowed and I knew that ahead of time my schedule WOULD have been re-arranged and me and my wife would have been there well before ticket time and both bought full allocations. So in a way what people like gpawned and others do is actually a bit opposite of what they are accused of as I wouldn't drive 10 hours and pay for a hotel without getting as much beer as possible. Sure that may make me a fucking prick to some people, but again, I WOULD have been there IN TIME because I know the nature of the beast.

I am 100% positive some of you won't like that, but I am also sure a few will understand.

EDIT : just read post above and I still think I am a good BA, those beers won't be traded, they will be drank, enjoyed and shared. Ask anyone that knows me if you doubt that. I don't think I violate any community rules. Guess maybe we will find out.
  15. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Member

This thread is causing me much more internal consternation than it's really worth. At the end of the day, we're talking about beer. It's not some "game" that you can "win". It's drinking a fucking beer (albeit some damn tasty ones!).

My take is that meeting people and building relationships within the beer community is much more valuable than stockpiling as many bottles as you can get your hands on (and possibly alienating people in doing so). But, if you choose to bring mules/buy other people's allotments/etc., that's your choice, and I'm not going to stop you. I'll just get there earlier if I need to.
  16. eyeenjoybeer

eyeenjoybeer Member

I am just curious what the rules are - not calling you or anyone else out. Again, my gf has been to every JO's release I have been to. She likes the beers, but I am doing most of the drinking between us. Therefore, I may be in violation according to some.
    MordorMongo and MarkIntihar like this.
  17. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Member

Oh sorry yeah I didn't really meant that as an attack back at you, just a response to the general question.

The mule question is a fine line. How is muling any different than trading really? Meaning if muling is against BA community code then trading should be as well. (splitting hairs I realize, but it is a valid point).
    eyeenjoybeer likes this.
  18. jefeld

jefeld Member

how long before this thread gets locked?
  19. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Member

Hopefully it doesn't as it does pose an interesting community question that should be discussed as clearly there is some butthurt over it. But yeah, I'd put the over/under at two hours. ;)
    MarkIntihar and gpawned like this.
  20. gpawned

gpawned Member

The bottles I managed to get will be going to over a dozen people most of whom are active BAs. Some were bought and paid for in advance via wishlist, some were planned to be traded, there were some impromptu trades, some given up to friends (and complete strangers) at the brewery on Sat. who were shut out and a small portion will be kept for my own consumption/sharing with friends or at tastings and bottle shares.

Many of these people will do the same for me when a release in their area happens. Like MordorMongo said, if this was against the rules we wouldn't do it but this sort of sharing is the very nature of advocacy.
  21. Redpac

Redpac Member

22. gpawned

gpawned Member

I do feel bad for anyone who got shut out and when given an opportunity to share with them in the future, I am happy to oblige if possible (as long as they aren't total dicks).
  23. jefeld

jefeld Member

can we also agree that it is the holidays, we are in the aftermath of a national tragedy, and everyone must rise above the level of bickering about buying bottles of beer. fwiw.
  24. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Member

Who is to say that people who would have otherwise not been shut out would not have also distributed their allotments amongst friends and trading partners?
    sarro and gpawned like this.
  25. joshrosborne

joshrosborne Member

This times about ten billion. Thank you for posting this.
  26. gpawned

gpawned Member

Who says they wouldn't have tried to sell it on ebay or craigslist?
  27. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Member

Fair enough. I'm just saying that just because you live close and can afford to bring a bunch of mules doesn't make you any more or less of an "advocate" than anyone else, it just means you live close.
  28. uncle_cholly

uncle_cholly Member

Wow defensive donny...just kidding

I just joined this place and while some of the members are tools the majority seem really nice like gpawend who offered me up some of the beer from the release not even knowing me or anything. So troy im sure if u came off less vindictive then people would help you out. That being said if you need a bottle of bb brick then let me know but thats all I could grab. Did you at least have a good time during the release?
  29. Shagtastic

Shagtastic Member

I'd also like to dispute this statement while agreeing with the top part
    MarkIntihar and MordorMongo like this.
  30. BdubleEdubleRUN

BdubleEdubleRUN Member

31. BlueOkie

BlueOkie Member

I was surprised by the announced size of the allocation, and when I saw Sat morning the calendar was showing August, I fully expected the allocation to be reduced. With 3 of us Okie beer geeks having made the trip, we'd have been fine with fewer bottles. But I sympathize with the difficulty Brad has with those calculations, since some calendar days went unclaimed, and many not buying the full allocation.

We were fortunate that we could arrange our travel/work schedules to be there by 4 on Friday, and I realize not everyone can do that. But even if everyone had been there Friday afternoon, the result would have been the same: demand exceeded supply, not everyone has their expectations met.

No apologies for us taking 3 allocation back home. It won't be hoarded. I came home last year (after the supplemental sale) with about 30 bottles. I have exactly one left. I sold 12 to my friend who had planned for months to come with me then had to cancel at the last minute. The rest were shared with friends, a couple traded, some simply gifted. I've loved being able to share JO's with people who never thought they'd get to try any. Heck, as we continued our beercation yesterday, we gave bottles to the staffs at HopCat and Three Floyds.

And as so many have said, even with fewer bottles the trip would have been just as great, due to my BA friends, the terrific taps, and Brad and his staff. JO's is the only release I've ever travelled to, and based on what I read here, I doubt I ever will try any others. I don't have a cellar full of whales, but I've got all the great beer a person needs, and a great circle of beer friends at home and on BA. Like dtx00 (great guy btw) said, I try to be a glass-half-full sort of person.

I'll put in a good word for Cam too. He didn't know me from Adam last year, but very generously skipped his chance to buy the last 2 bottles of Bourbon Berry Grove so the guy who came 1,000 miles could take them home.
    dtx00, seeswo and gpawned like this.
  32. AlexFields

AlexFields Member

Okay I think this thread got a little out of hand which is why I stepped back and stopped posting but I do want to say a couple of things...

1. I love Jackie O's, the beers are great, the experience of being there is great, the people are great, etc. None of that means we're not allowed to call attention to problems and try to address them but I do think those of us who felt disappointed oughta step back and get some perspective and realize that missing out on some bottles, while it ain't nothing, is ultimately a pretty small thing compared to the overall great experiences we have.

2. Sorry if I unleashed a monster by being the first to express frustration here, I didn't mean to start a shitstorm.

3. Not everyone in this community is awesome or generous but enough folks are that when some of us have problems, those problems have a way of being addresses to at least some extent. I didn't get he bottle I really wanted at the release, but someone have me one afterward, for example. That's really cool, and let's spend more time engaging in and encouraging that kind of generosity and less time calling out people we feel bitter toward (eg I don't know of Cam is a great guy or not and I have my own opinions about bringing mules/soliciting people for their extra bottles and so on, but I do know I wouldn't want to come on here and troll a thread about it just bc I felt mad at one guy).

4. Ultimately my concern is not about the last release but about the future. I do think more could've been done to address be situation, but I also recognize it was an unanticipated problem that brad and co. didnt have a lot of tome to react to and it doesn't make sense to hold a grudge over something like that after a million great experience with the brewery/beers/people in question. So let's hope some of the problems that arose are addressed in future releases and put whatever frustrations we had with the last one behind us. It's a worrying trend that these releases are becoming the domain only of super super committed trader types but ultimately maybe there's nothing to be done about that.

Peace y'all.
  33. gpawned

gpawned Member

My comment about distance from the brewery was more about sharing with those that can't make it, not the conclusion that you made.

I live in Athens and didn't even bring my fiancee to mule for me. In fact, I live 2 miles from Jackie O's and had zero locals there to mule for me. My methods of asking others who were there to help me out are no worse than those who brought family/friends to do the same, whether local or not.
    eyeenjoybeer and MarkIntihar like this.
  34. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Member

I'm confused then about how you muled for a dozen BAs, but whatever, I'm really not concerned about it. I know you're a good guy and are trying to help people out, same as me. We just have different ways of going about it is all.
    eyeenjoybeer likes this.
  35. gpawned

gpawned Member

Every bottle I got was either my own allocation or I purchased the rest of other people's allocations (that they weren't planning on buying...but they were all out of towners, and people I met this weekend or had set up a trade with to do IP at the release). I also am not keeping too much for myself and most of the people I'm sending to are only getting a few bottles. I see how that was confusing.

Edit: in bold
    MarkIntihar likes this.
  36. TroyG2352

TroyG2352 Member

So how many bottles did you walk away with?
  37. steebo777

steebo777 Member

Man there's some hate in this thread. Must be an Ohio thing ;)
  38. RyanMcFly1985

RyanMcFly1985 Member

On a bright note, that Thorogood label is bitchin'!!!
    AlexFields, gpawned and MarkIntihar like this.
  39. InebriatedJoker

InebriatedJoker Member

I have never seen a thread like this after a Jackie O's release before , Usually it's everyone stating they had a great time and thanking Brad , Art and the whole gang for their wonderful work with the release , Which by the way they did an outstanding job again -
    I do feel for those who didn't get their bottles and as I stated earlier the only option is to get there earlier ..I love Jackie O's and have been to 6 straight releases and every time I get to see some great BA's and enjoy the hell out of a great taplist ..I plan on attending as many as I can in the future and even if I got shut out on a bottle or two it wouldn't deter me from returning .
  40. pest

pest Member

My count is 3 Michigan threads locked (4elf) to 0 ohio. But to be fair that was chicagos fault ;)
    MarkIntihar, steebo777 and gpawned like this.