1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Next Jackie O's release

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by vrbulldog22, Nov 14, 2012.

1. gpawned

gpawned Initiate (0) Illinois Jun 5, 2012

Couldn't agree more, everyone at Jackie O's worked their asses off and it was a kick ass release. All of the beer was amazing and clearly more and more people are recognizing that as the time goes on, hence the larger crowd. Congrats to Art & Brad on what they have accomplished in just seven years...extraordinary.
  2. gpawned

More than enough, far less than I'd hoped for/expected based on last time.
  3. Envelopes

Envelopes Initiate (0) Ohio Aug 26, 2012

Crazy hostility going on in here..

On a more positive note - has anyone opened a OGP yet and if so, how is it?
  4. gpawned

OGP is freakin' fantastic. I noticed some similarities to Dynamo Hum without the fruit.

EDIT: Glad to know there are 2 more barrels maturing.
  5. seeswo

seeswo Savant (490) Ohio Jan 10, 2010

I opened one for folks at Jackie O's to rave reviews. Delicious.
  6. And thank you again, kind sir!
    MarkIntihar and Urbancaver like this.
  7. seeswo

seeswo Savant (490) Ohio Jan 10, 2010

Of course. Brad killed it with this one and I'm happy to brag a little for him :)
    MarkIntihar likes this.
  8. I said this all weekend, but I think the Brick Kiln and associated variations are fantastic. It finished with Kahlua-like notes to me.
    gpawned, MarkIntihar and seeswo like this.
  9. Envelopes

Envelopes Initiate (0) Ohio Aug 26, 2012

Jealous for sure! As previously stated, the fine gentleman TurdFurgison is hooking me up with a bottle of Rum Oil & Funky South this weekend, but if anyone has an extra OGP they'd like to trade I'd really love to try to work something out for one. Not anything too wild in my cellar but I figure it's worth tossing it out there.

I tried some of the Rum Brick Kiln but wasn't too into it. I'm still not sure how I feel about barleywines in general though so my assessment probably isn't fair.
  10. Photekut

Photekut Initiate (0) Tennessee Mar 31, 2006

Eric ( turdfurgison ) is a true asset to BA and a good friend.

One of the good ones.
  11. kundog18

kundog18 Aficionado (155) Indiana Feb 12, 2010

My wife and I shared a bottle yesterday. Solid stuff. Pleasantly bright and acidic, but not bracingly sour. Very vinous - the wine barrel shines in this beer. Finish is dry, with brett and plenty of tannic character. My wife says "Damn, I wish we had a lot more of this." I agree completely.
    MarkIntihar, gpawned, seeswo and 2 others like this.
  12. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

I'm upset MarkIntihar slipped through my net of highwaymen contracted to heist his Jackie O's bottles and smuggle them into the Chi.

ISO: Oaky Golden and DA Nuts
    MarkIntihar and gpawned like this.
  13. beesy

beesy Savant (350) Ohio Jul 21, 2010

Wow - just checking in since Saturday and just WOW!

I had been sick and contemplated just coming Saturday, but I took responsibility for my own actions (see what I did there) and drove the 92 miles to JO's Friday, chatted with a few friends, sampled a few beers, got my calendar page and headed home to rest and returned in the morning.

I will say the number of people cutting in line towards the front right before 5 was surprising, but I didn't let it ruin anything for me.

The taps were awesome (as usual) and I had a great time (as usual) despite being a little under the weather. Thanks to Brad and all the JO's staff that keep these releases awesome!
    gpawned likes this.
  14. NABS

NABS Aficionado (185) Ohio May 11, 2011

Oh man, where to start, where to start.

As this was my first Jackie O's release, I knew I needed to get there early. Unfortunately, that was where my good planning ended. After a failed attempt to be there before 5 (I drove by about quarter til and saw lots of people there), I didn't get there until around 5:30. And completely proceeded to forget about getting a calendar page. Luckily, a very cool ratebeer member reminded me or I would have been even further SOL. (Sorry if I'm not allowed to bring up that "r word" around here.) I sat at the bar and had a flight of 8 different (and AWESOME) beers I've never tried and a few conversations with like-minded beer aficionados before heading down to O'Bettys for the bottle share. I met and spoke to and drank with many awesome BAs there (in spite of only being able to associate 2 people with their BA names).

I have no idea about the proceedings Saturday as I had to leave for WV for a graduation ceremony for a great friend. Luckily, gpawned was gracious enough to be a trustee for me and get me any beer available by my May calendar page. (Had I struck the calendar page as soon as I arrived, I probably would have been lucky enough to get at least one of the 3 beers I missed (OGP, BBDA, or RBOoA), but the fact that gpawned was so awesome meant that I got some at all.) After getting my bottles, I returned to Jackie O's and had 12 more/different beers. And Sunday, I decided that before I left, I hadn't had enough Jackie O's on my trip, so I went back in the morning and had 6 more beers. I left for home having tried 25 different beers on tap and brought home 4 different kinds of bombers.

When gpawned initially informed me I missed out on 3 beers, I was major bummed... for about 20 seconds. I realized I had already tried 8 different Jackie O's beers, all the different beers I'd tried at the bottle share, plus whatever other damage I could do that night. I've never before been to Jackie O's and was very glad for the experience. I want to thank the Jackie O's staff as the rest of the weekend was full of trying/aggravating events, but every moment I spent there was well worth the near 4 hour drive each way. I can see in this thread that many were unhappy with the results of the day. Maybe it's my relative newness to the experience, but, at least beer-wise and BA-wise, I could not have imagined a more enjoyable weekend.

I also would like to comment on any one slamming gpawned (not necessarily by name) for being in line multiple times. He was a trustee for me and my appreciation for his kindness is immeasurable. I only hope that as I am part of this community longer, learn more about the processes, and gain more confidence, I can be that type of BA who steps up and helps his fellow BA (especially the "first timer" or "new guy") when he is in dire need. I can be sure I'll make it to Jackie O's again. I won't need to be pulled away again and will get to watch the proceedings on Saturday as well. My only hope is that I will get to try many more new beers and this time get to put more screennames with names/faces.
    BlueOkie, tat2dhllblly and gpawned like this.
  15. CoopBen

CoopBen Aficionado (105) Ohio May 30, 2012

Umm, so what do you guys want to talk about now?
    tat2dhllblly, seeswo and gpawned like this.
  16. So you came to Jackie o's, to drink their beer but left to drink your beers that you and others brought from your house? How does that support Jo s. Tomorrow I am going to go to Olive Garden. Order a water, and eat my last nights Kraft Mac and cheese. Come on son.
  17. clintonpuckett

clintonpuckett Initiate (0) Indiana Apr 29, 2008

I mean I guess we could talk about...beer?
    CoopBen likes this.
  18. gpawned

Have you never been to a beer release and/or bottle share before? My friends and I all managed to try every beer on tap and still enjoyed 2 or 3 hours of drinking at the bottle share. We made up for it by staying at Jackie O's and drinking and ordering another meal on Saturday four hours after all of the folks who showed up for the bottle release had left.

NABS even said that he too drank at Jackie O's before and after the bottle share so I think you need to remove your head from your rear.

If you read Brad's blog post on the Jackie O's webpage, you'll notice that he even makes mention of the bottle share from last release (eluding to the possibility of another). I'll one up that and say that I personally invited a number of Jackie O's employees including Sean (the other amazing brewer at Jackie O's) who actually showed up to the bottle share at O'Betty's and joined in on the fun.
    tat2dhllblly and NABS like this.
  19. Theeabyss

Theeabyss Aficionado (190) Illinois Apr 19, 2012

I have sifted through this Thread and all I can say is it is a bit hypocritical for someone that is being called out in here by said "whiner" to laugh and talk shit when that same person was the "whiner" at 4 Elves when he showed up at 9 something AM and was asking Aaron to cut allotment so he wouldn't get shorted.

Kettle=Black.
  20. gpawned

i wasn't there, but is asking = whining?
  21. joshrosborne

joshrosborne Savant (290) Michigan Jun 14, 2010

People who went to the bottle share (at 8:00PM) also had largely just spent several hours at Jackie O's buying beer and food. I know that's the case with me and the folks I know. You're really just being a crybaby and making yourself look silly.
  22. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

Logged out to check out this thread, and didn't expect all this! People are so entitled these days on BA...Hopefully all the "shitshow" releases this year will keep some people at home!
  23. Urbancaver

Urbancaver Advocate (520) Ohio Nov 13, 2009

Who was that?
  24. tat2dhllblly

tat2dhllblly Savant (350) Ohio Apr 10, 2010

Dude, seriously just grow up and get over it. Either put on your big boy pants and realize that it is just beer or go away and live your "poor is me, I listened to people on the internet and it didn't come true....." life somewhere else.

I am all about people being able to speak there minds and opinions but all you are doing now is looking like a 2nd grader that had someone else get the last ice cream cone in the cafeteria.
    NABS, seeswo, ehammond1 and 2 others like this.
  25. joshrosborne

joshrosborne Savant (290) Michigan Jun 14, 2010

Also, I have a beer that I think would be right up your alley.

[​IMG]
  26. Not just BA dude, everywhere in the industry.

People who show up to local bars and expect to be seated immediately because they name dropped the manager. Or people who expect that all new beers be held at their local establishment for them just because they want them.

The entitlement thing is rampant, I'm guilty of it on occasion and after I realize it I feel like a huge dbag
    MarcatGSB, seeswo, gpawned and 3 others like this.
  27. tat2dhllblly

HA! I was real happy to get to try that one Friday night!
  28. redrocker

redrocker Aficionado (140) Ohio May 9, 2007

I don't comment on here much and it's mostly because of douch bags like you....grow up "son".
    NABS, gpawned and tat2dhllblly like this.
  29. Theeabyss

Theeabyss Aficionado (190) Illinois Apr 19, 2012

How quickly you forget.....
  30. Urbancaver

If you are suggesting this person is me then you must have me confused with someone else...
  31. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

Since Cam was immediately behind me in line at 4elf I can say he didn't, and had no reason to. We safely got our whole allotments.
    gpawned likes this.
  32. tat2dhllblly

I was even quit a bit behind Cam in line and still got a full allotment so why would he ask for higher limits?
    gpawned likes this.
  33. MajorBuckeye

MajorBuckeye Savant (280) Ohio Jan 8, 2012

I wasn't able to attend this past weekend, but I'm curious to know if Brad made any additional announcements about when/where cans of Jackie O's beer will be available.
  34. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Michigan Mar 17, 2010

Not that I heard. I'm trying to remember what he told me about it when I came down the weekend before the party, but I think the suds from this past weekend have damaged my memory... :oops:
    Puddintane likes this.
  35. Urbancaver

Art is picking up the canning line soon. I would anticipate cans will be hitting in early February :)

EDIT: This is my opinion based only on what I have heard from relatively reliable sources. It is only an opinion and no decisions should be made based on this opinion. Any apparent correlation this opinion may have to the real world is purely coincidental and should be considered only as rumor.
  36. So I am already in line waiting for the JO's can release. Am I doing this right?
  37. Urbancaver

You're not doing it right until you get enraged with me when the cans actually come out in March and you miss them somehow
    seeswo, gpawned and eyeenjoybeer like this.
  38. Got it. So if the cans come out in February, then you are an asshole. ;)
    seeswo, gpawned and Urbancaver like this.
  39. Urbancaver

no, you're not getting it...
    I'm an asshole regardless. Come on man... you should know me well enough by now to know that!
  40. NABS

NABS Aficionado (185) Ohio May 11, 2011

Not that I feel the need to defend myself from TrollG2352, but even before the bottle sale, between beer, food, and glassware, I imagine I spent in the $100 neighborhood. Even without my bottles, all bottles would have been sold anyway. I'm sure my $100 didn't make much of a drop in the bucket of the money they made this past weekend. That said, they also earned a fan for life. I can't predict how often I'll be able to drive the 3+ hours and get there, but I know last weekend wasn't my last time.

Also, the implication that anyone who went to the bottle share didn't support Jackie O's, is way past ludicrous. If you take away all the money they spent there, aside from the bottles, spent by everyone that attended said bottle share, that would be a much more significant amount of money and definitely noticed more by Jackie O's if none of us "supported" this great brewery/establishment.
    gpawned, MarkIntihar and beace like this.