1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Next LC Single Batch... a Hoppy Belgian

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by heygeebee, Apr 10, 2012.

1. danieelol

danieelol Advocate (510) Australia Jun 15, 2010

Yer I'm looking forward to this

By the way that D guy in the comments is right on the money for the most part if a little harsh, I swear it's not me

Green Flash alone have well-trodden the hoppy Belgian path previously

If you bought into press releases you'd think Black IPAs, Hopfenweisses and Coffee IPAs were all invented in Australia.

2. mulder1010

mulder1010 Initiate (0) Australia Aug 29, 2008

Gumball head??? never heard of it
    Belgian IPA's They were invented in Fremantle.
    It is like Midwest hype. Just buy into it
    It should be good but more important it will be aproachable

3. joecast

joecast Advocate (570) Australia Jun 30, 2003

I dunno. I have a hard time getting worked up about it. I mean after 10+ years of brewing everything under the sun in the US, what are they supposed to do? What avenue of experimentation should they take that will sell in any volume?
    Age in spirit or wine barrels? Done
    Sour beer? Done
    Blend x style with y? What's left that would be drinkable and not ridiculous?

Anyway, I'm not a big fan of Belgian ipas but happy to give it a shot. And I'm sure many people will be thrilled by this as itvwill be their first chance to try a fresh (or any) example.

4. sinkas

sinkas Aficionado (190) Australia Jul 9, 2008

here we fucking go again, people shooting stuff down before they have even drunk it,

5. mulder1010

am not ripping it. I already ordered a case for where I run a bar. LCPA is usually our best seller beer wise

6. Jmoore50

Jmoore50 Initiate (0) Nevada Dec 14, 2008

I want to put my penis in it. Where can I get this in Canberra when it's released? Is Plonk my only option?

7. Hehe Danieelol - at least you even recognised the writing style, :D priceless, and appreciate your self-deprecation

Me? I think Joecast is on the money, everything's pretty much been done now, and it's good to get fresh....

Looking forward to it, as i suspect it'll be on the right end of the pricing point, as LC normally do for their bigger beers.

8. crikey there’s no pleasing some ppl hey? Just kidding but sometimes I think there’s just no pleasing us craft-beer-heads – little creatures et al are on a hiding to nothing no matter what they try or don’t try : )

i like some of D's comments about creatures though, the hoarding of imported seppo hops is a bit un-craft and is it anti-competitive? I hope I’m wrong, I’ve just heard it can be hard to get certain seppo hops if you are not LCreatures. At least they put the hops to good use though

Personally I’m not overly fussed whether aussie brewers are spearheading their own ‘aussie’ styles or not. I’m just happy to have better beer, imitation-or-not, being brewed in australia – little creatures included. Having an aussie brewing scene create something unique (like west coast ipas were/are) should be a bonus if it happens, not an expectation. but I like D’s mention of stone&wood as a great example of a unique-aussie-style.

Nobody seems to mind that most of our wines are made from vines originating from europe and south america do they? so why can’t most of our beers come from similar roots? Once the brewing scene has been around as long as our wine industry I’m sure it’ll start to develop its own aussie-flair just as the climate, terroir, etc has done for our wines

9. sinkas

Perfbelgbeer,
    you dont know what you are talking about
    LC's started with using US hops, but now I beleive their plae ale is all AUS grain and AUS hops,
    anyone can get a AQUIS permit to bring in hops,

I still think LC should be much applauded for making some resonably unfamiliar styles availabel, aus wide at a good price.
    I dont think thye have intentionally tried to claim fame for making a new style, and its simply that we know that the styles are old news, that we assume they are intentionally omitting the face that furknurkle brewpub in san leandro indiana coined extruple ipa as a style etc etyc

10. danieelol

All people are commenting on is really the continuing rather bullshit press releases coming from Australian brewers when they claim to be or imply they are the first to brew a beer in a particular style which has already been explored widely by American and other international brewers.

People are not dissing the quality of Little Creatures products themselves.

11. "you dont know what you are talking about" -- you could be right my friend, just my opinions : )

i'm hope i'm wrong about the hops thing -- i had just heard more than once that creatures hop contracts, whether inadvertently or not, had created a bit of a monopoly making it hard for others to get some of the hops they're after. i think they still use american hops just not exclusively. happen to be proven wrong

i agree with your 2nd para for sure -- i don't reckon they've made usa styles then sold them as if they created the style themselves. it probably just seems this way to some ppl due to an uneducated public that hasn't heard of these styles. i've never personally seen little creatures advertised as an 'australian pale ale' -- whereas i think some other usa-style-pale-ale brewers are guilty of this. i don't think little creatures hides the fact that their pale ale is american-style do they?

i'm very happy for little creatures and others to make seppo imitations -- considering the alternative could have just been more australian bitters!

12. fair point --> perhaps they shouldn't be saying its unique. wouldn't hurt them to say they've been inspired by the 'american version of the belgian interpretation of the american's re-creation of the heavily hopped pale ales brewed in britain to supply their troops in south east asia' (for anyone else that's read good beer guide: belgium)

seriously though i guess mentioning the brewing fraternity that influenced them would be great to see in press release

13. sinkas

" you dont know what you are talking about"was a bit of a joke

14. dgilks

dgilks Advocate (685) Australia Jul 14, 2008

For the Single Batches, I think Plonk is the only option. I don't recall seeing any of the others anywhere else.

15. foles

foles Savant (420) Australia Jan 28, 2007

This should be a nice beer - if they used galaxy hops it could have been and aussie-belgique IPA. Or a "Gotye" IPA.
    This could be the best single batch since the Kent Goldings and the Aussie/American Brown. I didnt enjoy the the world famous Big Dippa as much as others!

16. joecast

joecast Advocate (570) Australia Jun 30, 2003

FYI, good input from LC on the aus brews news site if you haven't seen it.

Disclaimer - I did reply to Alex who I think adds some good info about their single batch beers.

17. Rather interesting name. In the (great) Graham Greene novel the eponymous Quiet American is a covert US military advisor and terrorist agent provocateur in Vietnam. The protagonist becomes involved in a successful plot to murder him.

18. danieelol

lol. and ugh.

My favourite was the plain ole IPA.

I actually did a course at uni on the movie (Phil Noyce). Was really good actually. Not really sure how the Vietnam-American thing relates to either Belgian or Australian brewing. Maybe Gotye Tripel would have been better branding.

19. Parrotshake

Parrotshake Savant (355) Australia Nov 29, 2008

I read it in Javier Bardem from No Country For Old Men's voice.

20. danieelol

Is this available anywhere yet?

Also wondering when the Mountain Goat/Mikkeller collab is gonna be in bottleshops

21. MrKennedy

MrKennedy Advocate (610) Australia Dec 29, 2006

I think the Little Creatures will be around here later this week to early next. Some WA places have just got it.

For the collaboration, I'm not sure, but I live near a station so I'll listen out for it;)

22. MrKennedy

MrKennedy Advocate (610) Australia Dec 29, 2006

Looks like Victorian stores got both Mikkeller collaborations (Mountain Goat & Bridge Road) today.

Mistake above: Little Creatures goes on sale in WA tomorrow.

23. The Goat/Mikkeller has been around for a few days in Melbourne. I bought a Quiet American and a Bridge/ Mikkeller today.

24. spicelab

spicelab Savant (435) Australia Nov 6, 2009

Hurry up and review then on RB so I can decide whether or not to buy them;)

MrKennedy likes this.
  25. Oh, twist my arm.

26. mulder1010

I should have the Quiet American on Thursday.

27. spicelab

spicelab Savant (435) Australia Nov 6, 2009

My impudence should be taken as a strong endorsement of your reviewing capacities.

28. MordeciaFunk

MordeciaFunk Savant (260) Australia Feb 14, 2012

We will have it on tap the minute I have a free tap point, most likely tomorrow (Tuesday). Of course, with the sailors in town, they might just drink it all....

29. I don't mind or need much arm-twisting, although I'm slightly worried by the idea of people taking me seriously. I've got to enter the thing before I write, but The Dark Harvest is right up my street. A real delight.

30. danieelol

I really want to know if the Pepperberry and Harvest ales are any good

31. mulder1010

have a case of the Mikkeller/ Goat beer coming as well

32. slight aside - does anyone know the relative sizes of Mad brewers vs Little Creatures 'limited runs'? Thinking I see MB months after release still on shelves, whereas LC seem to go quick, so I thought LC must be a lot (order of magnitude) smaller.

33. mulder1010

Lukie might know this more. Could guess but probably not a good idea.
    Has to be at least 20K as both get national distribution.
    have seen the LC brown and marzen still in some shops

34. Lukie

Lukie Savant (425) Australia Jun 16, 2007

I would not be surprised if it is similar. The fact that Big Dipper was still floating around as much as last month at some places in Perth was pretty ridiculous.

35. dansmcd

dansmcd Savant (425) Australia Dec 19, 2010

You sampled this yet Lukie?

36. danieelol

I have three bottles of this and one bottle of Stone & Wood Jasper. Will post reviews soon.

37. Lukie

Nope. Arrived today at 4pm. Sold 80% of our allocation by 7pm, and brought a couple home. One for me, and one for Dad. Will see how it is... tomorrow night, probably.

38. gulden

gulden Aficionado (180) Australia Mar 20, 2011

Both are very good on tap but preferred the pepperberry as it really came through nicely. Hadn't tried pepperberry before until the brew night at mountain goat, but it is quite a distinctive flavour.

39. Lukie

Why was QA not dubbed a Belgian IPA on here?

It's kind of like how Houblon Chouffe is the 2nd highest Tripel on RB... :/