1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Nice looking forum!

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by vtbeerman, Feb 22, 2012.

1. vtbeerman

vtbeerman Aficionado (110) Vermont Jul 24, 2007

Beginner and advanced homebrewers forum. Email notifications. Polling. I like it!
    DmanGTR, oldp0rt and Todd like this.
  2. Yeah i agree the new features are nice!
  3. Grohnke

Grohnke Savant (380) Illinois Sep 15, 2009

I am liking the separation of skill levels in the homebrewing forum.
    galttfwo likes this.
  4. I am digging the new forum. But I fear change. Reminds me a lot of HBT's forum design.
    CBlack85 likes this.
  5. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

I like it a lot too.
  6. bwiechmann

bwiechmann Savant (300) Minnesota Nov 30, 2009

I'm a fan of the Alerts. Not sure how I feel about the "trophies" but all the added features are very welcomed. Hopefully this forum style will be easier to integrate into apps for the mobile devices?
  7. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

Testing video embed
    KingBiscuit and Rempo like this.
  8. sarcastro

sarcastro Savant (405) Michigan Sep 20, 2006

I liked the simplicity of the old one, but it looks like that is just me. All good things must come to an end.
    CBlack85 likes this.
  9. Hogie

Hogie Aficionado (130) Michigan Mar 19, 2008

This is a cool feature.
  10. Pahn

Pahn Advocate (695) New York Dec 2, 2009

separation of skill levels is good until you get an endless barrage of "this is not advanced!" pseudo-debates. if you all can keep it civilized that may not happen.

even if it does, the potential for stickies / FAQs in the novice section is so useful it would trump the annoyance of that problem.

look of the forum fine with me, just have to get used to it so i can follow the same stuff as before.
  11. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

I made the suggestion that we have stickies/faq's rather than separate forums. I think we'll end up with only one forum being active the way it is.

http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/stickies-instead-of-separate-homebrew-forums.117/
  12. alfrantzell

alfrantzell Savant (365) California Jul 11, 2005

I'd like a separation of skill levels in the Beer Talk forum too. No longer should we have to endure a poster asking if another is serious, whether that is really nickd717 in his avatar, or if it's pronounced "Pikk-u-linn-un Visk-ee-lam-bik" or "Pikk-oo-linn-un Visk-ee-lam-bik."
  13. vtbeerman

vtbeerman Aficionado (110) Vermont Jul 24, 2007

I like how you just tie up the hop bags and throw them in. I never thought of that. I have a bunch of bags but usually just clothespin them to the side of the kettle or the handle.
  14. Hogie

I need some time to play around with this and get to know all the new features before I can make a judgement. Some features are sure to be annoying. I don't like the idea of spitting the homebrew forum into advanced and noob.
  15. Hogie

I liked the way the old one was set up too, but I am digging the speed. I was really getting frustrated with how slow it was. I always liked how responses to individuals were placed underneath that post.
  16. sarcastro

It was ass slow at the end.
  17. sarcastro

I also don't like the splitting up. I liked it all in one place, one reason I went to the BA forum more. It was simple, and easy. The ones that are split up are too much work.
    MontpelierArtie and HerbMeowing like this.
  18. If they were going to do more than one homebrewing forum, I'd rather see it divided similarly to HBT, and maybe have separate forums for Ingredients/Recipes, Equipment, Processes/Techniques, General Homebrew Talk. Novice and Advanced with no description as to what constitutes what is a bit vague imo.
  19. epk

epk Savant (325) New Jersey Jun 10, 2008

Seconded. I'm not a fan of the novice/advanced separation. I like your sub forum suggestions.
    geezerpk likes this.
  20. VikeMan

VikeMan Advocate (730) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009

Not sure I'm crazy about two separate homebrewing areas. OTOH, I see there's an 'ignore' feature. Must. Resist. Temptation...
  21. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Moderator (475) Oregon Aug 25, 2009 Staff Member

is there a description anywhere of what even constitutes Novice and Advanced? Length of time brewing, how much you've read, number of batches, batch size, forum posts, how many infections you've had, how many uninfected batches you've had, breadth of style, breadth of equipment? Somewhat vague. Or is it split based on the topic? How do I bottle, didn't take a reading before I pitched the yeast, my do-hickey stopped bubbling is my beer ruined vs building a HERMS system, etc.?
  22. cmac1705

cmac1705 Aficionado (245) Florida Apr 30, 2010

I think you just volunteered to write the description : )
  23. beer272

beer272 Aficionado (210) New Jersey Sep 23, 2009

I like this too. Except I now see a I have a scroll bare at the bottom to move. Just did Cntr - and may have fixed this.
  24. will be getting less done again...if I ever get familiar with the new format
  25. Also not a fan of the Novice/Advanced separation. If I have a home brewing question why would I want to ask "novice" brewers when I can ask "advanced," but the more advance the "advance forum" is the less questions people should be posting. And aren't most novice brewers aspiring to be advanced brewers? Anyway, I like the idea of breaking it up by subject matter as well (recipe and recipe critique, equipment, etc...).
  26. inchrisin

inchrisin Savant (425) Indiana Sep 25, 2008

I see it weeding out a few of the simple questions that newbies make every week. Otherwise, it's still going to be our discretion of if we want to read the link or not.
  27. Pahn

Pahn Advocate (695) New York Dec 2, 2009

i 100% guarantee you that it won't do that, unless it's constantly moderated.

there is no chance at all that regular, uncontroversially "newb" questions will fail to be posted, regularly, in advanced. this is a universal truth on the internet and "novice/advanced" distinctions, especially without strict rules, moderation, etc.