Dismiss Notice
Get 12 monthly issues of BeerAdvocate magazine and save $5 when you select "auto-renew."

Subscribe now →
Dismiss Notice
Join our email list →

And we'll send you the latest updates and offers from BeerAdvocate, because knowing is half the battle.

Nice to finally brew again - video

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by leedorham, Apr 2, 2012.

1. leedorham

leedorham Champion (845) Washington Apr 27, 2006

Well, after over a month, I finally got to brew again. Just bought about 200# of grain so that should last me.

I'm trying out a new malt with this one. "MFB Coffee Malt" or "Kiln Coffee." Anyone here ever use it? The supplier I bought from said they used 50% in a recipe even though recommended is <10%. I'm using 2# in a 5 gallon batch here.

Cheers!

2. barfdiggs

barfdiggs Savant (420) California Mar 22, 2011

Did a coffee-less coffee stout with it (Franco Belges Kiln Coffee) at about 5%. Pretty big roasty, coffee flavors that needed a good month or two to mellow out and integrate. Nice malt though, good as an addition to other roasted malts, but not as the primary one... I started using it in conjunction with 3 other roasted grains in my milk stouts.

3. mnstorm99

mnstorm99 Advocate (535) Minnesota May 11, 2007

The powdering of the hops is very interesting, what effect have you noticed from using these? I might have a concern with dry spots, did you notice any?

4. leedorham

Well I just got them on Saturday and this is my first go at using them so I really can't deliver a verdict. They smell fine. I did notice a little spot of freezer burn on one of his other bags though and have concerns about oxidation and them getting all cheesy since there is so much surface area exposed. The plan is to get rid of them fast by using & sharing with some other guys in town. I might keep some of the lower AA ones and let them age for use in sours.

I can tell you the guy who gave them to me does brew quality beer with them but he also has a vacuum sealer which I don't.

5. mnstorm99

My food saver is one of the better investments I have ever made, and not only for my brewery (had the foodsaver a few years before starting to brew). I recommend one for every houshold.

6. inchrisin

inchrisin Savant (480) Indiana Sep 25, 2008

I took a hiatus and just brewed this weekend. I felt like I was forgetting lots of things and scrambling around. Welcome back!

When you "recirculate" you're just vorlaufing, right? I'd say you don't need aluminum foil to do this. You won't disturb the grain bed if you just pour it into the far end of the mash tun. I did this in my first all grain brew, then decided against it.

7. leedorham

I like the foil, that way I don't need to be gentle. It also helps hold the heat in. But you're probably right in saying it's not necessary.

8. That's a nice setup you got there! Seeing as how I've never actually seen another homebrew setup in action other than mine, I imagine there's a lot of nicer set-ups, since I just have the BASIC needs for extract brewing. You've tempted me to look into upgrading.

9. OddNotion

OddNotion Advocate (635) New Jersey Nov 1, 2009 Beer Trader

Just used some coffee malt in a porter I brewed about 9 days ago. The sample from the gravity reading tasted great and very coffee like, I hope that transfers into the final product in another few weeks when I keg it!

10. coronajm

coronajm Savant (260) Ohio Jan 4, 2010

Looks delicious. I really would like a mill to get into bulk grain buying and, not to mention, those spontaneous brewing moments.

11. leedorham

I highly recommend doing exactly that. Getting a mill and buying grain in bulk changed the way I brew.

12. inchrisin

inchrisin Savant (480) Indiana Sep 25, 2008

And you can't afford to drop another $130 on a mill, you can also find someone who has one. A six pack of homebrew seems to be standard payment for favors around here. :)

13. leedorham

Very true. There's even a local brewery here that'll let you use their mill. I hear it takes about 10 seconds for your typical homebrew grain bill.

14. mnstorm99

Does it make a whoosh sound as it is going through? 10 seconds, holy shit!!!

15. leedorham

It's much more humane that way. You don't hear all the grain screaming like you do with a smaller mill.

mnstorm99 likes this.
  16. Ditto. I am getting a mill for fathers day and looking forward to buying grain in bulk.