1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Nick Floyd of Three Floyds disses Portland beer (sort of).

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by guajolote, Apr 26, 2012.

1. guajolote

guajolote Savant (405) Oregon Sep 12, 2008

This was posted in the Great Lakes forum yesterday, but the discussion there is mainly re: the possible Chicago FFF brewpub. I wanted to see what PDX beer geeks think about the following quote:

This is my response to the link portlandbeer.org posted on FB today: As a former Chicagoan of 9 years, I love FFF. However, Floyd's statement comes across as arrogant and uninformed. He obviously hasn't been to Portland lately, and when he was here last, he must've only visited Pyramid or Rogue. Also, while FFF makes some truly top-notch beers, they're not doing anything terribly innovative either.
  2. djbreezy

djbreezy Advocate (510) Washington Dec 16, 2008

Just came here to post this... Three Floyds is a decent brewery but overhyped. Dreadnaught? Get out of here bro. Big Man Floyd made a great innovation with his recent drain pour collaboration with Mikkeller. That was a real starling of a recipe...
  3. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,025) Washington Sep 18, 2010

It seemed like he started to hedge his statement a little toward the end: "[Portland] used to be inspirational. It still is." Regardless, his statement is obviously a gross overgeneralization. The whole thing about "It's still based on Willamette and Cluster" is kind of like saying, look at these breweries, still making beer with water, malt, hops, and yeast. WTF?

I've had only two or three FFF beers, and I haven't been particularly impressed. Especially when you consider the price tag, I think most of their bombers go for more than $10 or something? Still want to get my hands on some Zombie Dust and Gumballhead though...
  4. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

5. guajolote

guajolote Savant (405) Oregon Sep 12, 2008

draheim likes this.
  6. boMD

boMD Savant (315) Oregon Feb 8, 2009

I give him more respect for calling out McMenamins on their shitty beer.
    bfg75 and guajolote like this.
  7. CaptainTripps

CaptainTripps Initiate (0) Oregon Aug 8, 2010

What an ignorant fool.
  8. djbreezy

djbreezy Advocate (510) Washington Dec 16, 2008

There's MUCH worse out there.

Even though he said he was misquoted he didn't exactly clarify the bit about the hops or that Portland was 30 years behind. He was sort of vague about it...
  9. tewaris

tewaris Advocate (595) Minnesota Jul 14, 2009

"I would like to say I do not hate Portland or the Portland brewers or brewing scene I was misquoted ,In a remark I made about ONE early McManamins pub I didn’t care for .I f%$@ing love Portland and all its beer I am a good friend of Van Havig ,I drank many times with Don Younger(RIP)and loved him and the Horse Brass, Tony Lawrence from Boneyard( I know its in Bend) is a best friend . Portland was the first place I travelled as a professional brewer to the old Flanders street pub ,Bridgeport is one of my favorites .Its the first place I saw Micro’s on draught 9 to 1 over Macro beer and at a stripclub ..Portland rules ! Put a bird on it I love it ! sorry I was misquoted your humble narrator Nick F 3Floyds "

http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/three-floyds-goes-to-europe.14566/page-2#post-175066
  10. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

http://beeradvocate.com/community/t...sses-portland-beer-sort-of.14714/#post-175100
  11. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,100) California Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member

If your quote was directed towards a single McMenamin pub, then I'm afraid it's dead on point. I'm a fan of the McM brother's stuff, but I don't think innovation is in their DNA. 20 years ago when I came up from Sacramento the first time I was excited at the prospect of tasting beers like Ruby, Hammerhead ale and Terminator stout. 20 years later the core beers are exactly the same, and their seasonals have to be some of the most mundane, uninteresting beers on the planet. I still drink their IPA from time to time, but I don't go out of my way to visit any of the McM establishments anymore.
  12. draheim

It may not be about DNA as much as their business model. Seems to me they just want to have a family-friendly pub-type atmosphere with decent food. I haven't really paid much attention to this, but judging from the number of establishments under the McMenamin brand in Oregon and Washington this business model seems to be very successful. Why mess with a good thing?

"Innovation" isn't equally important or even relevant to every brewery/brewpub out there.
    NWer and beertunes like this.
  13. boMD

boMD Savant (315) Oregon Feb 8, 2009

You should read the whole thread before posting.
  14. CaptainTripps

CaptainTripps Initiate (0) Oregon Aug 8, 2010

I failed to click on extra links. Lol

/my bad.
    //he is forgiven.
  15. John_M

Completely agree, which is what I was referring to, when I said it's not in their DNA. I realiize they're not really trying to appeal to people like you and me (I assume), but on the other hand, I've never heard of a pub doing poorly or going out of business, and places like Kennedy School and Edgefield have always been wildly popular. My post was mostly in reference to the comment from Nick at 3 Floyds, which as it pertains to McM, I think is pretty understandable.

As I indicated, I'm generally a fan of their stuff, but exciting new beers or an a new, innovative approach... thats' really not what I'm looking for or expecting when I go to a McM pub (which really doesn't happen very often any more).
  16. + 1000. My wife and I go to the Edgefield property once a year to recharge our batteries, let the kids have a grandparents weekend, and walk the line between partying and relaxing. The experience outweighs whether or not they are using citra or simcoe hops, or if the beer is innovative enough.

I do think it was classy for Mr. Floyd to come on here and clarify the comments.
  17. draheim

Yes, generally. But sometimes I'm just in the mood for a cheeseburger or a bowl of jambalaya and a boring old NW-style IPA or two served in an American pint glass, in a clean, comfortable place that will give my daughter a kids' menu and a few crayons.
  18. ccrida

ccrida Advocate (535) Oregon May 26, 2006

John, I totally agree with your thoughts. But in there defense, some of their pubs with in-house breweries are afforded a degree of latitude that allows for some interesting brews, depending on their brewer (and other factors I'm sure). I live near the corny pass one, and they usually have a few solid house-only brews that generally slake my thrist for real, local craft brew (rather then the standard americanized english ale micro).
  19. And they have tator tots, so I'm all kinds of good on that score.
  20. John_M

That's true Adam. I was really just making a general observation about the beer at their pubs, but you're right. In fact, the last time I was at the High Street pub in Eugene, they actually had an IPA on cask. I couldn't believe my eyes.
  21. I think the seasonal/big beers are in the $15 range, but I think a majority are in the $7-10 range (which may still be a bit pricey depending on the beer). Zombie Dust though...awesome! And at $30-35 a case, worth every penny!

EDIT: Arctic Panzer wolf is also worth seeking out IMO.