1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

No Chocolate Ale from Boulevard in 2013

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by RWNewhouse, Jun 20, 2012.

1. RWNewhouse

RWNewhouse Savant (280) Montana Feb 14, 2011

2. lvoutlawjlh

lvoutlawjlh Savant (315) Nebraska Mar 15, 2012

WTF
    Auror likes this.
  3. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,015) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Maybe next time they release it, it won't be infected/recalled/refunded.
  4. chanokokoro

chanokokoro Advocate (590) Illinois Jan 31, 2012

I'm not all that disappointed. In my opinion, Chocolate Ale is one of the few offerings in the Smokestack Series that isn't stellar. Hopefully, the new offerings that fill the void left by Chocolate Ale reach the level of brews such as BBQ, Tank 7, Rye on Rye, etc.
  5. KansasBeerLover

KansasBeerLover Savant (320) Kansas Feb 16, 2009

The first release was considerably better than the second. Hopefully they will have it back in 2014.
  6. rfbenavi80

rfbenavi80 Savant (360) Missouri Mar 15, 2010

It is good, however maybe not releasing it next year will calm down all the hype around town that it creates. It's just crazy how much hype this beer gets. I'm not disappointed that it's not going to be offered.
  7. Yeah, sorry boulevard, but not going to miss this one after the last batch.
  8. Duff27

Duff27 Advocate (590) Illinois Feb 10, 2010

I would venture the say the exact opposite would be true.
    yamar68 likes this.
  9. FUNKPhD

FUNKPhD Advocate (505) Texas Apr 13, 2010

I have to agree with this. The beer is a bit much for my palate.

Also, I wish they would rebrew Seeyoulator...
  10. rfbenavi80

I too would like to get Seeyoulator again.
    johnnybgood1999 and yamar68 like this.
  11. rfbenavi80

You might be right, I was just thinking that as time passes too many people forget about stuff. So if it's 2 years since the last time people had it there is time for something bigger and better to come about. But then again this may be Boulevards strategy to get the hype even bigger. Who knows.
    Duff27 likes this.
  12. I was surprised by how much I liked it. A great chocolately taste but the mouthfeel was really thin (a good thing, to me). Very interesting and unexpected beer.
  13. chanokokoro

chanokokoro Advocate (590) Illinois Jan 31, 2012

Especially if keep getting new beers like Love Child No. 2...;)
  14. spd

spd Initiate (0) Colorado Jun 9, 2009

agreed. less Chocolate, more Love Child and Saison Brett
    thehand likes this.
  15. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

A local bar here just announced that they are now tapping Chocolate, so I'm going to assume this is an older keg, yeah?
  16. foobula

foobula Savant (330) Illinois Dec 14, 2009

Chocolate Ale is apparently on at Twisted Spoke in Chicago. It's my first one and it does indeed taste of milk chocolate. Actually lives up to the hype IMHO

EDIT: or tootsie rolls. Still enjoying it.
  17. I'll miss this beer. I had it on tap a few months ago and thought it was great. Certainly a unique beer. Hopefully whatever replaces it is awesome too.
  18. Bond111

Bond111 Savant (335) Minnesota Feb 14, 2011

Its really too bad. Had this last year and I thought it was outstanding. Split a case with one of my best friends with this years batch. It wasn't the infected batch thankfully, and was still pretty Damn tasty. Glad I still have 3-4 bottles in the cellar.

Now they have to make up for this! Wonder what's on the horizon for them?
  19. SalukiAlum

SalukiAlum Savant (480) Colorado Dec 19, 2010

The shit was solid on tap! The wife is going to be disappointed. We bought 2 bottles and they were infected, tasted like peas, but Boulevard was the professionals they are and refunded us. But we drank a good amount on tap.